Sugar cookies

Sugar cookies

I’ve never met a vegan sugar cookie I liked. You read that right, I’ve never had a good vegan sugar cookie. So a few weeks ago I changed that by creating the most flavorful vegan sugar cookie in existence. Ok, maybe I’m exaggerating, but this recipe makes some damn good sugar cookies. They’re like soft, little pillows of vanilla flavored goodness. And there’s no need to coat them in icing because they’re delicious on their own. But you can totally do that, if you’d like. I did.

The best part about these cookies isn’t the flavor – even though the flavor is spot on – it’s the fact that they’re tiny and adorable and you can eat ten without making yourself feel completely miserable. But if you’re like me you’ll find a way to do that, anyway. Like, by pulling out a jar of Justin’s chocolate hazelnut spread and eating the cookies like they’re dunkaroos. Don’t do it. I mean it. Hide the jar in your closet and and spin around 347 times. See? You forgot about the cookies becuase your head’s in the toilet throwing up your lunch. Who’s good?

DSC00242

If you’d prefer to roll out the cookie dough and use a cutter, add an additional 1/4 cup of flour. You’ll also need to chill the dough in the refrigerator for 45 minutes prior to rolling and cutting, then chill the cut dough pieces in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to baking. And these bad boys can easily be made gluten free by replacing the flour with gluten free flour and xanthan gum.

SUGAR COOKIES

Dough
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp vegan sour cream
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups unbleached flour

Icing
1 cup powdered cane sugar
7-8 tsp water
Sprinkles, optional

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and sour cream using a hand mixer on high speed; mix for 1-2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Mix in the salt, baking soda and flour; beat just until combined. Using a 1 1/2 teaspoon cookie scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired. Bake at 350˚F for 8-9 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. To make the icing, stir together the powdered sugar and water. Dip the top of each cookie into the icing and cover with sprinkle. Store in an air tight container for up to five days.

Yield: 65-70 bite sized cookies

• Shannon December 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I think the trick to vegan sugar cookies really is the sour cream or cream cheese addition. It makes them so much better. Roll out cookies are such a stress reliever for me.

• Cara December 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Bite-sized again eh? If you starting buying dollhouses, then I am really going to worry about your miniature obsession :)
    I don’t even think that I need to taste these to nod my head in agreement that these *are* the best vegan sugar cookies that I have ever tasted! Just because you are THAT good.. xoxo

• Danielle December 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

oh.my.god. dunkaroos. no you didn’t.

• Caitlin December 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM

dunkaroos were my FAVORITE growing up..omg. that is one dangerous combination you created. did you get a tummyache?? ;)

• Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan December 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

OMG! I’ve been looking for tasty vegan sugar cookies for AGES! You are my hero.

• Brandi {not your average ordinary} December 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Sugar cookies are one of my faves! I need sprinkles and vegan sour cream (whatever that is) ASAP!

• Vanessa December 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I think you rule.

• Anonymous December 17, 2011 at 4:08 AM

I put in a little bit of molasses and chopped walnuts and it multiplied the deliciousness of these!

• corrinadarling December 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM

definitely going to try these. i’ve also had little luck with vegan sugar cookies. i prefer recipes without sometimes harder (for me) to find subs like vegan cream cheese, etc, but i think it’s time i admit it may be necessary.

• Natasha February 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I used coconut milk (the canned kind, full fat – put the can in the fridge for a few hours, and then when you open it, scoop out the hard, white, separate part and use that) in place of the sour cream and it worked beautifully. I got about 30 roll out cookies that held their shape well and didn’t spread. Great recipe!

• Carley Elaine March 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

How much xanthan gum should you use to make these gluten free?

• Ashlae March 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM

1/4 teaspoon per cup of gluten free flour used.

• Carley Elaine March 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Thanks! So I’m planning on rolling them out. So I would use 1 1/2 cup gluten free flower so I’d use 3/8tsp of xanthan gum right?

• Ashlae March 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

If you’re using a flour blend that says it subs 1:1 to all purpose flour, then yes – 1 1/2 cups of flour. If you’re using one that doesn’t sub 1:1, just add the flour until the dough is nice and firm. And I’d do a scant 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum.

• Melissa Lynn August 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

This recipe is amazing!! Definitely the best vegan sugar cookies my friends and I have ever had. I personally prefer to cook with vegan cream cheese instead of sour cream so I swapped that, but otherwise this recipe is excellent. Thanks!!

• Ashlae August 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I use vegan cream cheese every once in a while – or yogurt. Happy you liked them, Melissa!

• Cheryl September 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Hi! Great recipe! But I did not make 65-70 I am not sure how you made that many

• Ashlae September 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Thanks, Cheryl! What size cookie scoop did you use? I used a 1 teaspoon “mini” cookie scoop.

• JessLoring November 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This recipe was fantastic! Once they were cooked to full crunchiness, there was no hint of that Earth Balance taste, which is why, I think, vegan sugar cookies tend to be a little gross. They are butter-focused, after all.

I used the extra 1/4c flour and homemade cashew sour cream, topping with colored sugar instead of icing. I also neglected to refrigerate the dough before jumping in with cookie cutters, but it worked just fine! So, yay for last minute cookies!

Thanks for posting this and convincing us to try your recipe first!

• herbivoretriathlete December 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Hurray, now I can make sugar cookie cutouts with my kids for Christmas. I was wondering where to find a good vegan sugar cookie recipe.

• Anonymous December 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I made this dough last night planning to use it today with my daughter and vegan niece today but I’ve just learned she is sick and not coming. Can I freeze it?
    Thanks,
    Patty

• Aimee November 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM

YUMMY! just took these out of the oven and they are great! I used white wheat flour and made them with a one teaspoon drop… took about 2 1/2 to 3 extra minutes to cook fully. These don’t really need any icing but i added it anyway… next time I won’t bc it (I) was messy. Thanks!

• Michelle December 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Just made these and they are absolutely delicious! I’ll have to try hard not to eat them all at once!

I made a half batch, used only 1 TBSP of vegan cream cheese and added a little cinnamon and cream of tartar because I love snicker doodles. I made approx 1TBSP sized balls and placed the tray of dough balls in the freezer during the pre-heat. I baked them for 11-12 minutes at 350 deg, and they came out perfectly puffed and formed. I was waiting for a light browning, but that didn’t happen and I didn’t want to overcook them, so I took them out. Nevertheless, they were cooked enough. I did not ice them and they are plenty sweet.

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Will definitely be baking them again! :)

• Whitney December 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Ashlae, these are the most delicious sugar cookies I have ever eaten. I doubled the batch, and it’s a good thing I did because they are all off as gifts (I gave you the credit, of course) or in my belly. Thanks so much for suggesting (and creating) the recipe. LOVE!

• caroline December 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

thank you so much! first batch just came out of the oven and they’re absolutely delicious. super fluffy!

• Ashley December 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Oh my gosh! THESE COOKIES WLL MAKE ANYONE GO VEGAN. Best sugar cookies I have ever tasted. They are so soft and fluffy. Thank you so much:)

• Vegan Christmas Cookie Recipes December 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

[…] Cookies via Oh Lady Cakes Cute, classic, cruelty […]

• Sue July 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM

These were THE BEST!!! I made them for a 4th of July party. I followed your instructions and added 1/4 cup flour, refrigerated then froze. Not the easiest dough to roll out but how they taste makes it so worth it. Next time I need to quatruple the recipe. Slightly crispy, soft cookie….so good! I’ve eaten way too many. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

• Sheree July 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I just want to thank you for this recipe! My mom and grandma came for a Sunday visit and I made up a half-recipe in no time flat (I iced them in yellow and then put orange sprinkles on top!) and served them with some banana/cantaloupe/blueberry/lemon sorbet I had made. They turned out perfectly and were so good my mom forgot they were vegan~~thanks so much! (for once I had everything I needed on hand, too~~such a simple, but delicious recipe)

• Maria August 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I made these with whole wheat flour (all that I had) and raw brown sugar. When I dipped them in the icing I’d dip them in powdered sugar, like a wedding cookie. When they dried they tasted like krispy kreme donughts! I love this recipe, and so do my friends and family. Thank you for this! :D

• Sunny December 13, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I made these with 1/3 tsp baking powder and heaping TBSs of vegan sour cream, made them by dropped teaspoonfuls. I flattened each very slightly with the back of the spoon, wet every so often. Then I added red and green sprinkles for Xmas and dusted with sugar. After they baked 11 minutes I took them out, and they are awesome!