Raw brownie bites

Raw brownie bites

I’d venture to say that 95% of the desserts I consume are raw. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a health freak and don’t like having to out train my diet. And although raw desserts are usually higher in fat than traditional desserts, it’s the good fat – so your body can actually process it. And use it. Which means you can get away with eating a handful of raw brownies for breakfast and not worry about them going to your ass.

I intended on measuring each of the ingredients in grams, then I realized most people don’t own a scale. But this is a fairly simple recipe and you’ll be able to tell by the consistency of the dough whether or not you need to add more wet or dry ingredients (ahem, dates are considered a wet ingredient). If you don’t have hemp hearts, you could substitute flax seeds or additional nuts, but I highly recommend trying to find hemp hearts, as they’re ridiculously high in protein and give the brownies a great texture. Also, you can totally substitute raw agave for the nut milk if you prefer a sweeter brownie.

RAW BROWNIE BITES

1 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup hemp hearts
3-4 tbsp cacao powder
6-8 medjool dates
, pitted and soaked 15 minutes
2 tbsp raw nut milk
1 pinch Himalayan salt

In a food processor fitted with the S-blade, blend the almonds, walnuts, hemp hearts and cacao powder into a fine meal. Add the dates, nut milk, and salt; blend 45-60 seconds, or until dough starts to form. Using a medium sized cookie scoop, drop the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 20 minutes then press with a fork. Transfer to an air tight container and store in the freezer. I’m not sure how long they’ll keep, as they never last more than a few days in this house.

Yield: 22 brownie bites

• xvavaveganx February 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM

OMG YUM! Decadent and healthy?! Count me in! They are beautiful!

• sweet road February 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I have always wanted to try a raw dessert recipe with dates, the only problem is that I love dates so much that I eat them all before I have the chance to make something out of them… sigh. One day soon!

• Cara February 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM

There she goes, talking about asses again…

I just saw hemp hearts at the store and was wondering what good purpose they could be used for. These are now the perfect excuse for me to buy them. Loving this recipe, Ashlae!

• Ashlae March 2, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I love you, sugar lips.

• Amanda February 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I love how you clarified that these brownies will not go straight to your ass. Too funny!

I can’t wait to give these a try, although I’ll need to pick up some hemp hearts. Then again, I may not be able to wait that long and might try making them anyway. :)

• Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! March 1, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Dammit, I need to buy some hemp hearts already! I’ve been seeing so many great recipes including it lately, I need to try it out. These looks absolutely delicious! :)

• Ashlae March 2, 2012 at 1:40 AM

They were just half off at Whole Foods. Guess who has 15 bags???

• MyFudo™ March 1, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Sounds like a really healthy combo for a dessert…Must try!

• Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl March 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

YUM! These look so delicious (and healthy!) YAY!

• Jessy (squeezetheday) March 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I’m not even sure what hemp hears are, what can I sub them with?

• ohkeeka March 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I’ve been making something similar with molasses for the past few weeks, so I have everything I need for this recipe on hand except the hemp–I do have flax seeds, though. Totally going to try these when my molasses bites run out!

• Anonymous March 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM

You can buy hemp hearts at costco here in Canada, and at most health food stores. There really isn’t a good replacement in my mind they are a distinct item. And healthy so you should probably go buy some anyhow! haha

• cookingwithlysa March 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Raw desserts are always the best. These little bites looks amazing, I like how it only has natural sugar. I will be making these beauties. :) Thank you:)

• kimberly March 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM

those look incredible!!!!!!!

also, i put a banana in my millet tonight and it was delicious! thank you for that recommendation! :)

• GiGi March 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’m not worried about them going to my ass, but uhm will they go to my tummy? They look a little addictive.

• vegan March 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM

amaze! these look so delish! but hemp heart…hmmm?! not sure i’ve stumbled across these before

• Sarah March 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Making these! I’m cutting back on sugar, and looking for healthier baking options. (Which don’t come naturally to me. Wah!) I got really, REALLY into baking sugar-filled treats the past year and a half, only to get six cavities this year (and I haven’t had a cavity since I was 8.

Ch-ch-changes. I think it’ll be a good thing.

Love your site.

• FI / CLUSSSTER March 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM

WOWZERS! These look so good. I need to make these asap!

Also, can I live in your blog? ;)

-Fi

• Anonymous November 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Look divine! Any advice on what I could use instead of dates to bind if trying to lay off the sugars in the dates?

M

• Ashlae November 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Nope. Due to the bitterness of the cacao, the dates are very much a necessary component of this recipe.

• food crush: dates – molly, ily May 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM

[...] included here is for raw cacao chip brownie balls (a hybrid of recipes from My New Roots and oh, ladycakes). Make them, shove them into your mouth and relish their chewy, truffle-y goodness – brought [...]

• Laura June 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I made these today. Followed it to a tee. In stead of using bites, I pressed it into a brownie pan and froze them for 30 minutes before carving it into brownie squares. Delicious!

• barbara March 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I do not know what “soaked” dates means…more than the milk in the recipe? Please…and thank you!

• Ashlae March 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Hi Barbara –

The dates need to be soaked in water to soften them for the recipe.