How to make raw date syrup

Date syrup is my go to sweetener of choice. I use it to sweeten my yogurt, top my morning oats, smother my waffles, etc. It’s an excellent, all natural sweetener and is really the only “sweetener” I ever use. If I’m not using it in a specific recipe, I’ll scrape in half of a vanilla bean – which really makes for a delicious syrup. And obviously I’m sharing this recipe for a reason. Come Wednesday, you’ll be able to make a damn good pie with this date syrup – so get to work.

8-9 medjool dates
1 1/4 cups filtered water, plus more for soaking dates
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

Place the dates in a small bowl; cover with warm water and let sit for 30 minutes. Once the dates have soaked, drain the water then add the dates, filtered water, and lemon juice to the container of a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix. Blend for 45-60 seconds, or until smooth. Transfer to an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Yield: 1 1/3 cups

• Reply Shannon March 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I don’t know why I have never thought of this. It’s probably so caramely & wonderful.

• Reply Ashlae March 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

It’s delicious! And for raw caramel, reduce the water to 1/4 cup :)

• Reply Amanda March 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

This sounds awesome! I’m always looking for healthier, natural sweeteners and I can’t wait to give this a try. I love that it keeps for so long, too!

• Reply Cara March 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

What do you mean this is a boring post??? This is so creative! What a cool recipe–I wanna try this!

• Reply Raquel @ Ovenmitts Vegan Blog March 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM

This is so creative! Have you tried using it in other recipes, like cookies and cakes? Does it work?

• Reply Anonymous October 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Yes it works perfectly in all kinds of cakes, makes them taste delicious but incredibly healthy with a natural sweetner!

• Reply Richa March 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM

That pie looks oh so amazing.. i am wondering how this fares in cookies too!
    I was just thinking of picking up some date syrup the other day.. now i can make my own! love that picture!

• Reply birrrd March 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM

If I, oh if I had a Vitamix. Or another high speed blender. Well. No date syrup for me..

• Reply Anonymous August 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM

If you soak the dates overnight in water, they will easily blitz in a conventional blender!

• Reply Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes March 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

This is so awesome – thanks for sharing, mmmm raw caramel- I could totally go for some of that goodness right now!

• Reply Mindy March 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM

silly question….do you put the water you used for soaking in with the dates when you blend??

• Reply Ashlae March 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

No, you drain the soaking water.

• Reply Jeremy July 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Why discard the soak water? It becomes very sweet as it pulls sugar from the dates, so you’re just wasting all that sweetness. Wouldn’t it be better to blend the dates along with the soak water instead of dumping it out and adding fresh water?

• Reply Ashlae August 1, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Hi Jeremy –

I discard it because it collects all the nasty stuff that was one residing on the outside of the dates. I don’t want my date syrup tainted by chemicals, dirt, etc. :)

• Reply Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

It sounds wonderful! How long does it last?

• Reply Ashlae March 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

1,472 years ;)

• Reply Andrea March 23, 2012 at 5:55 AM

I like to sweeten things with dates but I’ve always been very haphazard about it, never writing out a recipe or doing the same thing twice. I just throw the dates in until the thing I’m sweetening is sweet enough. Of course, your method makes much more sense. Might as well have a plan.

• Reply Ashlae March 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I’m the same way – I rarely ever follow recipes. But, for some reason, people prefer the guided, more complicated method.

• Reply Maggie Muggins March 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Huh, it’s so simple yet there’s no way in hell I ever would have thought of that. Caramel that’s yummy and healthy?! And here I was cooking sugar over the stovetop like a chump.

• Reply shira March 27, 2012 at 3:17 AM

This looks amazing! I’ve always been a little more barbaric – choosing the unsophisticated route of tearing dates into pieces and putting them on my food – this is a wonderful recipe! *Love* Great blog!

• Reply FI / CLUSSSTER March 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Love love this! I can’t believe something so simple tastes so good! And yes, I immediately made this. ha! Now I want to add it to everything. Used it this morning on an onion and curry potato omelet. Yup, teaspoon of this to help caramelize the onions and it was AMAZING.

Thanks for sharing!

PS: thanks for your lovely comment on my blog :)

• Reply eatrightandom August 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Thanks for the ‘how-to’. I never thought of adding lemon juice. This is perfect for a lemon-poppy-oatmeal bar I’m working on!

• Reply Dawn October 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Now, I need to get some dates from Trader Joe’s!

• Reply Anonymous February 17, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Would this work in a food processor?

• Reply Ashlae February 17, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I haven’t tried, sorry!

• Reply Gayle Krupin April 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Anyone tried this instead of agave in baking? Light agave has little taste and I’m wondering if the date syrup would be overpowering. I love all things dates and I am so up in the air about agave, I was looking for a substitute.

• Reply London Bakes | homemade date sugar and date, ginger and olive oil cookies November 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM

[…] dates as a sweetener whether they’re mushed up in a sticky toffee pudding or in the form of date syrup. I hadn’t come across date sugar before but it was instantly intriguing, not least because of […]

• Reply Slow Cooked Asian-Style Short Ribs {Whole30 Optional} | Honey Ghee and Me January 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM

[…] 1 tbsp raw honey (or for Whole30, date syrup- see how here) […]

• Reply Crock Pot Tomato Soup | Honey Ghee and Me January 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM

[…] 1 tbsp raw honey (coconut sugar or date syrup work, too… see how to make it here) […]

• Reply Healthy muesli bars | The Life Holistic January 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM

[…] –       2 Tbsp. date syrup (for how to make date syrup see here: […]

• Reply Becky January 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Great recipe; it came out perfectly. For those who dont own a vitamix, we have a nutribullet and it comes with a milling blade which was amazing for things like this and can even make nut butters. i believe its less than $100.

• Reply Apple Date Pecan Pancakes with Date Syrup - Recipe Runner February 4, 2014 at 10:34 AM

[…] is the sweet date syrup that I made to go with them. I was inspired to make date syrup from this recipe from the wonderful website Oh Ladycakes. Some of the changes that I made to the syrup were adding a […]

• Reply Israeli Cous Cous with Heirloom Carrots | highgate hill kitchen February 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM

[…] rest came together pretty easily. I’d been wanting to whip up a batch of date syrup to use as an alternative sweetener for a while now, and we always have fresh parsley and mint in […]

• Reply Nikole February 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Well I feel like an idiot. I read the water portion as for soaking purposes only. Lol. I was wondering why it wouldn’t liquefy. I ended up adding some almond milk but I was so irritated with the recipe until after just re-reading the recipe I feel beyond silly. Well it’s great with a splash of almond milk. I’ll give this recipe another try and actually add water to it. Lol :D

• Reply Marfigs March 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Yum! I love date syrup to sweeten up baking. I usually use it in place of sugar, but I’m going to try minimize the amount of water and make date caramel sometime soon! I just made a chocolate muffin “bread” pudding with very little sugar so I’m going to quickly whip this up and pour it over to make it more palatable to sweeter tastes. :D

• Reply Chocolate zucchini muffin “bread” pudding with date syrup | marfigs March 16, 2014 at 11:57 AM

[…] heavenly nom for the individual servings…yissss please! *swoon* I got the date syrup recipe directly from Oh Lady Cakes, and I’ve been making variations of this for a rather long while (espresso choco date syrup […]

• Reply Jennie Alice Lillard May 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I keep coming back to this again and again–it’s great in Bulletproof Coffee and we just put it as a sweetener in some paleo BBQ sauce. Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this.

• Reply suzie blair May 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Ashlae, could I use your date syrup in my coffee instead of sugar. Do you think it would melt into the coffee like sugar. I am trying to cut down on my sugar, but love everything super sweet. Thank-you, Suzie

• Reply Ashlae May 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Hi Suzie –

I haven’t tried it, so I can’t say for certain. However, it should work. Enjoy!

• Reply shelly July 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM

if i want to use date syrup to replace pure maple syrup how do i found out the mesurements that match up equally. or do i just have to experiment?

• Reply Ashlae July 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Hi Shelly –

Unfortunately it will require a bit of experimentation, as maple syrup is considerably sweeter than raw date syrup.

• Reply Clean Copy-Cat Sriracha | Gin and the Ginger August 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM

[…] date syrup at home, blend together soaked dates, water, and a bit of lemon juice. Recipe at OhLadyCakes. Probably less expensive than the store-bought version […]

• Reply Cap-santé The Date Lady Date Syrup | November 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM

[…] How to make raw date syrup | Oh, Ladycakes – Date syrup is my go to sweetener of choice. I use it to sweeten my yogurt, top my morning oats, smother my waffles, etc. It’s an excellent, all natural sweetener …… […]

• Reply Stirling How To Make Date Syrup At Home | February 9, 2015 at 12:33 PM

• Reply Sweet mini pita apple cabbage caramel swirl pockets | Marfigs' Munchies February 16, 2015 at 1:44 AM

[…] 1/8 cup fruit syrup of choice for drizzling (I used fig syrup but date syrup also works well – this recipe is awesome) […]

• Reply Michelle April 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Anyone know if they freezes well? I made a lot and don’t want it to go bad.

• Reply Michaela June 28, 2015 at 7:59 AM

I have found both this and the heated version. I take it they would suit different recipes.
    I’ve just been shopping and saw a ‘healghier’ granola where the sweetner was date syrup, cant wait to try this ♡

• Reply kat August 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Oh my god thank you. I can’t have any sweetener except dates and Stevia (which is gross) and you are the only person on the whole internet who makes vegan, low-gi desserty food that is palatable. I don’t know how I lived my life without you. This date syrup may literally save my life.

• Reply The Date Martinez Cocktail | Stir and Strain November 27, 2015 at 1:32 PM

[…] dry sherry, such as Lustau 1-1/2 ounces gin, such as Ford’s 3/4 ounce date syrup, homemade (recipe link here!) 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters Orange peel, for […]