Chocolate hazelnut tartlets

Chocolate hazelnut tartlet

If you haven’t noticed, I’m really into simple recipes. Like chocolate hazelnut tartlets. And I’m even more into recipes that aren’t time consuming. Like chocolate hazelnut tartlets. Because any recipe that requires me to dirty half of the dishes in my kitchen – then stand over the sink for an hour, scrubbing butter and crumbs out of the crevices of the pan – will never be featured on this blog.

Which brings me to this: I don’t like the kitchen as much as you might think. I like it just enough to bake in it. And create simple, not time consuming things. If the first word that comes to your mind is lazy.. you’re probably right. But don’t ever tell me that to my face. Cause I’ll smack you. Then run like a little bitch.

Chocolate hazelnut tartlets

As simple as this is, it’s really quite decadent. I used two, single origin chocolate bars from one of my favorite chocolate companies – Askinosie. However, you could get by with using any chocolate, since Askinosie chocolate bars aren’t exactly easy on the pocketbook. To me, they’re worth every penny. Especially if you’re sharing these tartlets with guests. The crust can be made gluten free by replacing the flour with gluten free flour(s) of your choice. For a sweeter filling, increase the maple syrup to 1/2 cup; for a lighter tart, reduce the chocolate to 3 ounces. And between you and me, you can totally just make the chocolate filling, store it in the fridge for 20 minutes, then enjoy it as chocolate mousse.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT TARTLETS

3/4 cup hazelnut meal
1 1/4 cup spelt flour
2-3 tbsp sucanat
1/2 cup vegan butter, cold
6 oz good quality dark chocolate
12 oz lite firm silken tofu
1/4 cup maple syrup
Pinch of fine sea salt
Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the hazelnut meal, flour and sucanat. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. If the dough is too crumbly and doesn’t stick together when pressed between your fingers, add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. Divide mixture evenly between 4 4″ tartlet pans and firmly press the dough up the sides of the pans. Poke a few holes in the bottom of the crusts. Bake crusts at 350˚F for 4-5 minutes, or just until a hazelnut aroma fills your kitchen.
In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the chocolate. Transfer to a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix, and blend with tofu, maple syrup and salt until smooth; about 15-20 seconds. Divide mixture evenly between the baked tartlet crusts. Bake at 350˚F for 5-6 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 3 days.

Yield: 4 4″ tartlets

• jess April 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

oh how i wish i had all of these ingredients on hand today! i feel like i can smell those toasted hazelnut crusts from here…

• cookingwithlysa April 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I’ also a quick one in the kitchen. I like to cook but long recipes don’t get me excited at all. I love to make something delicious with simple ingredients and simple steps. This is why I love your recipes!!!

• Caitlin April 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

bahaha! “i’ll slap you, then run like a little bitch.” you make me laugh ;)

i’m the same way, though. i love simple recipes and have never been a fan of recipes with long ingredient lists.

• xvavaveganx April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Holy crap these look amazing! Beautiful pics as always!

Your post totally made me laugh :) I’m like you, I prefer simple recipes. I don’t mind being in the kitchen but I don’t like spending a ton of time doing one thing. I find it tedious and the more complicated the recipe the less likely I am to actually make it, no matter how good it looks! This looks like a perfect, simple recipe that will taste amazing and will impress everyone!

• Shannon April 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I have some Agostoni hazelnut chocolate that I could put to use in these tarts! These sound phenomenal.
    I don’t mind being in the kitchen for many hours, but I did get spoiled having someone else do my dishes when I worked in a restaurant.

• GiGi April 17, 2012 at 5:24 PM

These are very pretty, but what so few ingredients. Boy, you’re a slug. Hey, *ouch* that hurt. Hey don’t run away from me. Bring back those tarts.

• Annie April 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Okay…stop the presses. Dinner tonight will not be veggie/tofu fried rice. It will be chocolate hazelnut tartlets. Anyone have a problem with that?!

An Unrefined Vegan

• Willow April 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Wow, these look good!! And your crust can be made gluten-free, bravo! I *just* made vegan salted caramel and chocolate tartlets (see my blog for the post) and tried, tried, tried to make a gluten-free short-crust. Just didn’t work out, but this crust sounds incredible! Beautiful photos, too. Making me drool. :D

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes April 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Love anything in tartlet form – love the classic chocolate hazelnut pairing so you

…haha I can’t get the line “But don’t ever tell me that to my face. Cause I’ll smack you. Then run like a little bitch” out of my head, you are hilarious

• Richgail @ AstigVegan April 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I feel the same way about kitchens and simple recipes. Cleaning up is no fun! Anyway, great recipe!

• Scissors and Spice April 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM

OMG! After I cleanse, I am surely making this. What a lovely idea!

• Heidi @ Food Doodles April 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

These look so yummy :D Chocolate + hazelnuts is always a winner to me, plus they look awesome!

• Kirstens Kitchen April 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Crazy! Those look very addictive.:)

• Richa April 20, 2012 at 6:18 AM

ahh.. i think i am a bit different that way.. some days are for simple recipes for sure.. but most days i like the complex flavors working their magic in my mouth with each bite. thats what is Indian food. Its not that difficult once you get the hang out it. takes the same amount of time, just the ingredient list is a bit long.:)

• Lisa Marie @ MidwestVeg April 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Oh my! I swear your posts always leave me hungry and that wouldn’t be so bad if I wasn’t such a night owl. Seriously though, these tartlets look amazingly good!

• Nora @ Natural Noshing April 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Beautiful and yummy! I need to make this asap :) Love your work, I am so glad we found eat other through Cara!