Coconut scones

Coconut scones

I got off of work later than usual one night last week. I also, unusually, brought my laptop along to work. Because the 3-4 hours I get paid to do nothing seemed like the perfect opportunity to edit some photos. Anyway, dark clouds started rolling in and all I could think about was how silly I was for not checking the daily forecast. Of the ten days a year precipitation falls from the sky, one of them has to be the day I bring something extremely valuable to work. WHY WAS I NOT PREPARED FOR THIS?

So, I texted Thom and asked him to send good vibes to the rain gods. You know, to convince them to hold off on the torrential downpour until my laptop was safe inside the house. Good vibes were sent, as were weird text messages. The entire ride home I received questions like: At which stop are you getting off? How far are you? Are you getting close? All I wanted to say was Dude, bug off! It’s a little rain and I’m a big lady. I’ll make it home ok. I didn’t put two and two together, which is why I was totally surprised when the bus rolled up to the stop and there was Thom – standing in the pouring rain – with an umbrella. Ready to walk me and my precious laptop all 40 feet to our front door.

Coconut scones

It took my breath away. And as hard as I try, I can never fully comprehend the magnitude of his presence on my being. He enriches my life in more ways than I have fingers and toes. And every morning I roll over to his oily head, I thank the winds for the unfortunate circumstances that lead us to one another. Lately, I’ve been so caught up with school, work and the blog, that I haven’t expressed my appreciation for him as much as I should. So, when he got sick two nights ago, I decided to wake up first thing yesterday morning and make him something comforting for breakfast. Scones. Chock full of coconut and undivided love.

Coconut scone

These scones are so full of coconut flavor that it makes my heart sing. Five of the nine ingredients are coconut derived – and it’s freaking awesome. We prefer our scones slightly on the dry side, so if you prefer yours moist, add 7 total tablespoons of coconut yogurt. Also, I used pastry flour to yield a lighter scone. If you’d prefer a dense scone, replace the pastry flour with (more) unbleached flour. And yes – these babies can be made gluten free by replacing the flour with a gluten free flour blend and xanthan gum.

COCONUT SCONES

1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 cup fine shredded coconut
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, solid
1/3 cup coconut yogurt
1/2 cup coconut milk, full fat

Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, coconut, salt and baking powder. Cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse meal; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and milk. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yogurt mixture. Scoop the dry ingredients from from the bottom of the bowl and fold over the wet ingredients. Repeat this just until the mixture is combined. Do not over mix the dough. If the dough is too wet, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time.

Line a flat surface with parchment paper and sprinkle lightly with flour. Pat the dough into a large circle, about 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into eight triangular segments. Transfer the dough segments to the prepared baking sheet. If desired, lightly brush each scone with melted coconut oil and sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Bake at 375˚F for 16-18 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool then store in an air tight container for up to three days. Unbaked dough can be kept frozen in the freezer. Simply place the scone segments in a freezer safe container, until ready to use.

Yield: 8 scones

• cookingwithlysa April 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Cute story :) These coconut scones look really delicious!

• sweet road April 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm

What a cute story! I hope he liked the scones. What is coconut sugar and where might I find some? It sounds like something I need in my pantry…

• Amanda April 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Awww, I love that he was waiting for you with an umbrella. It really is the small things in life. :)

I just bought some coconut sugar and I’m excited to start baking with it. Your recipe sounds really good (anything with coconut is a win for me!) and I love the simple ingredient list.

• Sophie Davies April 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I think I might make these

• Tee April 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm

That is the most adorable little story. Love is grand- as are coconut scones.

• xvavaveganx April 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Aww what a sweet story! Those scones look out of this world! I can see what you mean by chock full of coconut goodness! I LOVE coconut so these seem like they would be a perfect treat for me. Yum!

• Kristy April 30, 2012 at 7:36 pm

That is such a sweet story! I want you to take care of me the next time I’m sick! ;-) For reals, though- these scones are awesome!

• Emily April 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm

These look and sound delicious! Yum! Lovely photos~

• Cat April 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Such a sweet story and the scones look really nice, might try them this weekend = )

• Rikki April 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I’ve never seen coconut scones but gosh, do they look delicious. I’ll have to try these [:

• Willow May 1, 2012 at 1:50 am

Aww – what a lucky guy you have! These scones sound amazing… I love all the coconut in them! Hope Thom is feeling better!

• Richa May 1, 2012 at 3:16 am

Awww.. that is such a sweet story! and perfectly pretty scones to go with it.. i wonder how they would be with coconut flour!.. i guess i can as well just eat a coconut cut into triangles then ;)

• Isobelle May 1, 2012 at 3:55 am

Is it sad that I almost cried reading your story?

Okay, don’t answer that. I have been overly emotional this past week or two.
    But seriously – you guys are so fortunate to have each other. And we’re fortunate that you have each other. Because I get this scone recipe (I’m being self-centered, sorry).

I really like coconut. In England we have the American version of an Almond Joy, but they’re called Bounty’s and don’t have an almond. I used to eat one of those almost every week. That’s probably why I was a chub.

• jess May 1, 2012 at 1:43 pm

oh young love…. ;)
    i’m on a scone kick lately and these are next on my hit list! xo

• Shannon May 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

So adorable. I have to lug my laptop around a bit and have been so thankful that I invested in a waterproof bag lately. I had to walk home in the rain the other night, but it was too windy for my umbrella to stay upright.

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes May 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Awww both you and Thom sound super adorable – and I am sure these scones are just as amazing as the two of you :)

• Genevieve May 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm

These look amazing – I know I would be extremely happy if someone made these for me for breakfast! And as a coconut fiend, they are right up my alley…I love how many ways you managed to use coconut – all that’s missing is coconut flour!

• Baking Serendipity May 2, 2012 at 4:14 am

I love this story! And these scones :) I have had a total weakness for coconut scones lately, and yours look exactly perfect. Excited to have found your blog!

• Eva {not your mama's dinner} May 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

That’s the most lovely and sincere post I’ve read in a long time! You guys are so lucky to have and cherish each other. On another note: these scones look divine!

• Debra M. Duke May 11, 2012 at 8:29 pm

True romance!

• Anonymous May 12, 2012 at 3:20 am

Have you tried make this or anything else using Coconut Flour? I love Coconut anything so when I came across some Organic pouches I just had to buy some, but I’m not sure how to use it in place of wheat type flours. Any ideas? I want to try your recipe using it. It looks yummy!

• Ashlae May 12, 2012 at 3:33 am

Hi, Anon :) I was very close to using coconut flour, but was worried it wouldn’t bind properly becuase of the fat. If you want to try it, try substituting in 1/2 cup to start. Let me know how it turns out!

• joanne September 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

These scones look yummy, but if I want to make them gluten free would I just substitute the 2 cups of flour with gf all purpose flour? Also you mentioned using xanthum gum.. how much would I use? Are there any other tips for making this gluten free.. I’m new to gf baking, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Ashlae September 3, 2012 at 1:30 pm

It depends on whether or not the gluten free flour you’re using subs 1:1 with all purpose flour. If so, then yes – just replace the flour with a gluten free flour blend. Also, the general rule of thumb is 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum for every cup of flour.

• Kat August 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

I just made these and they are absolutely amazing. I don’t like my scones dry, so I added just one tablespoon more of SoDelicious coconut yogurt and it was just the right amount. I folded in some vegan white chocolate chips into half of the batch and it’s amazing. Thanks for the recipe!

• ~Coconut Scones~ December 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm

[…] adapted from oh, ladycakes […]