Baked fries

Baked fries

Thom and I have been making these fries for quite some time. Since we got together, actually. Which means we’ve been making these fries for damn near five years. Back then we didn’t know much. We’d slice the potatoes really thin – to imitate actual fries – and they’d always turn out terrible; some would be underdone, some would be burnt to a crisp. But we’d eat them anyway. And secretly wish we’d gone out for fries, instead.

Over the years we’ve learned that the fries bake best when the potatoes are sliced into thin wedges (as opposed to strings) and spread out evenly over a baking sheet lined with foil. Over the years we’ve learned a lot of things, but this is one of my favorites. It takes me back to those long, humid nights in Bloomington where we started our life together. Oh, to be 19 and in love.* I can honestly say it’s not nearly as great as being 24 and in love. Am I making you want to puke?

*Ahem, no making fun of my white hair. Or orange skin.

Baked fries

These fries are crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and perfectly seasoned with thyme. Sometimes we’ll season them with rosemary or Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning, but usually I’m in the mood for thyme. Dried rosemary tends to poke me in the mouth, which inevitably pisses me off – and Tony Cachere’s gives me a runny nose, which (also) inevitably pisses me off. Nothing like eating a couple of fries while your philtrum channels snot into your mouth, right?

Did I mention these fries are 100 billion times healthier for you than the deep fried alternative? Ok, that may be a slight exaggeration. But they are healthier. They’re also delicious. And go perfectly with a runny egg on top (if you’re Thom) – or plunged into ketchup and mustard (if you’re me).

BAKED FRIES

3 large russet potatoes
4 tsp canola oil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line two large baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with cooking oil; set aside. Scrub the potatoes and remove any eyes or dark spots. Using a sharp knife, cut each of the potatoes in half, lengthwise, then cut each half into 1/4″ thick slices. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with oil and thyme. Spread out on the prepared baking sheets and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400˚F for 25-30 minutes; flip fries after 15 minutes. Serve immideately.

Yield: 4-6 servings

• cookingwithlysa May 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm

your photos are beautiful as always…I love how simple your baked fries are …looks delicious!

• thesweetlifeonline May 3, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I love how simple these are. And perfect looking. And versatile if you were to mix up the seasonings. I think I’ll try these with sweet potatoes. Thanks for the idea and the beautiful pictures!

• Cara May 3, 2012 at 3:05 pm

PUKE!!!
    And by puke I mean I love the fact that you are still in love with your handsome man. YOU deserve all the love and happiness in the world–I just adore you and think the world of you. So it seriously makes me so happy :) So do those fries. Now you are talking my language. I would choose fries over sweets any day. Can’t wait to make these.

• Laura May 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Love french fries of any persuasion. For such a simple food, it does take a bit of time and technique to nail just right. And mega love your glasses in the second pic! :)

• Richa May 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm

ah to be 19:) that is a very sweet picture of u 2. the fries look gorgeous too!

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes May 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Justin and I have been makin’ fries since we have bee together too …8 years :) he is a straight up salt fan, but i like my seasoned with garlic, herbs or lawrys seasoning salt – so yum with a big veggie burger!

• Sarah Hughes May 3, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Thanks, cuz! Now I know what I’m having with fish tonight for dinner! :) Btw, I love hearing about you and Thom. I think I need to hear more about how you guys met!

• Caitlin May 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm

one of my favorite things to do is look back at pictures of me and dayv in the beginning of our relationship, circa 2004. i love the old one of you two- thom looks SO HAPPY, and you, of course, look like a total bad-ass. the other one is super sweet <3

these fries look so delicious! i make a very similar recipe! but i add a little cornmeal for a little crunch ;)

• xvavaveganx May 5, 2012 at 12:38 am

Oooooh these look good!! I love my potatoes with rosemary but I’ll have to try them with thyme! yum!

• blessedmama May 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm

We have baked fries often, and they are just so good. Yours sound great with thyme. I haven’t tried that seasoning on mine yet.

• Andrea May 6, 2012 at 3:06 am

Where’s the picture everyone is referring to? I want to see it, too. Not that I don’t appreciate the beautiful fry photos. Yes to oven fries — I think they taste better than fried ones. We had some fried fries (of the sweet potato variety) tonight, and I kept wishing they were oven-baked, instead.

• Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! May 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

These look absolutely perfect. I also love the way that you styled them, great job, Ashlae! :) And you have more confidence than I for posting old pictures up, I have a hard time posting recent ones! ha ha

• Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl May 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Oh gosh, these look delicious. Potatoes are SUCH comfort food. I am on a rosemary kick–I think I may try this recipe with fresh rosemary. These would be perfect at summer BBQs!

• ppomme May 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

Gorgeous photos. I love dipping my fries in soft runny yolk too. Delicious combination of textures and flavours. I can’t wait to make some this week-end! Yum.

• vanilla bean blog May 11, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I have the *worst* time with baked fries. So I’m going to try your tricks this weekend!! {these look amazing!}

• Andrea D May 15, 2012 at 7:27 pm

These look so good! I’ve got a bunch of visitors lined up over the summer, so I’ll need some crowd pleasing recipes. I may have to try these :)

• nadini95 May 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Mhhh… sometimes the easiest things are the best! They look so delicious!

• thejollyfox.com May 24, 2012 at 1:26 am

This recipe is great. I’ve made russet fries with thyme like above and sweet potato fries with pepper and rosemary salt. Loved both.

• Ashly December 4, 2013 at 4:50 am

I use Coconut oil when baking my fries. It is so tasty and really good for you. Love your site.