Raw berry tart

Raw berry tart

I’ll tell you what, this heat wave has become a real pain in my ass. It’s been weeks since I’ve used the oven and I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s making me crazy. Crazier than working 12 hour days, even. I’m craving fresh baked cookies, warm berry crumbles and ooey, gooey cinnamon rolls for breakfast. And then I remember there are people who are literally losing everything they have because of this heat wave. And I stop feeling sorry for myself because things could be a lot worse than not being able to have ooey, gooey cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

In case you haven’t heard, Colorado is plagued with voracious wildfires at the moment. The prospect of losing everything is unimaginable, and Thom and I don’t even have that much. The extent of our things-worth-saving is nothing more than a box filled with five year old love notes. And maybe Cedric. But still, starting over from scratch? The thought alone makes my mind race while I’m trying to sleep at night; attempting to wrap my head around the fact that over 300 homes have been reduced to rubble by one of the many fires that is currently blazing throughout the state. 300 homes that were once filled with laughter and warm memories are gone. Just like that.

I feel helpless. Guilty, even. There are so many things that I would like to do, but not many of them are within my capacity. However, I’m currently orchestrating something with the Red Cross – and if all goes well, we might be able to do something to help the wildfire victims, together. And yes, it involves baked goods. After going back and forth with the good people at the Red Cross, it’s been decided that there is no way around the restriction on donating goods that are made at home. But you can still donateĀ here.

Raw berry tart

Notes: This is my go to tart recipe for all seasons; I’ve made it with apples, as mini pumpkin pies and I’ve been topping it with fresh fruit, as of late. I have plans to turn it into a banana cream pie. There might even be raw whipped cream topping involved. Maybe. And in case you need any convincing, this tart was devoured within a matter of minutes at a dinner party earlier in the month. Seriously, it’s really kind of delicious – and would look great on a picnic blanket at a Fourth of July celebration. Just sayin’.

RAW BERRY TART

1 1/2 cups cashews
1 1/2 cups almonds
14-16 medjool dates
, pitted
3/4 cup raw nut milk
1 tsp lemon juice
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup chopped strawberries
1 1/4 cups blueberries
1/4 cup shredded coconut
, optional

Place the cashews in a small bowl; cover with water and let soak for 4-6 hours, or overnight. While the cashews are soaking, you can prepare the crust by adding the almonds to the container of a food processor fitted with the S blade. Blend almonds into a fine meal then add 8-10 dates and blend until smooth; about 45-60 seconds. Press the dough into an 8″ tart pan lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic and freeze until ready to use.

Once the cashews have soaked, discard the soaking water and add the cashews to the container of a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix. Add the 6 remaining dates, nut milk, lemon juice and sea salt, and blend until smooth; about 30-45 seconds. Transfer the cashew cream to a small, air tight container and and refrigerate until ready to use.

Once you’re ready to assemble the tart, fill the tart crust with the cashew cream. Top with berries and sprinkle with coconut, if desired. Tart will keep in the freezer for weeks, but let thaw for 20 minutes prior to serving. If you do plan on freezing it, I recommend adding the fruit just before serving.

Yield: 12 servings

• Jessica June 28, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Oh my! This would certainly make the perfect treat for the fourth of July. Raw tarts truly make me melt :) thank you for sharing.

• sarah@thesweetlife June 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm

That tart is beautiful! I love summer because the heat encourages more raw desserts!

• Laura June 28, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Oh gosh I’ve been reading about the fires and thinking of you and Kelsey being there, so close to it all. Glad you’re safe and have a bit of perspective too. (the tart is lovely)

xoxo

• Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme June 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I hate to even admit this but…I’ve never made a raw dessert. It’s constantly in the back of my mind but I just haven’t done it…yet. This recipe however has just bumped that thought to a priority. I can’t wait!

• Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme June 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm

• glutenfreehappytummy.com June 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm

how gorgeous! it sounds so delicious with all those berries! perfect for the fourth!

• xvavaveganx June 29, 2012 at 12:37 am

Wow, how beautiful! Definitely a perfect dessert for the 4th of July! I have to make this sooner rather than later!

• jess June 29, 2012 at 12:59 am

oh ashlae, you’ve wowed me again. looks incredible girl. ps – you’re wonderful to helping out where you can! xo

• Kristy June 29, 2012 at 5:28 am

Look at those berries! Gorgeous! And then there’s the tart- who needs an oven when you’ve got this? :-)

I love that you’re looking into helping out with the fire victims. You are a sweet, sweet soul, Ashlae.

• Lou June 29, 2012 at 5:38 am

Man the fires sound horrible…. terrifying. Good on you for being proactive and working on something with the Red Cross… you will be somebody’s angel I’m sure!

• Cadry June 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I feel so sad about the fires. Absolutely devastating.

I’m going to keep this raw tart in mind for an upcoming event. It’s stunning!

• Angel June 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Oooo, I was really wanting to make something for the Fourth, but didn’t want to do anything too labor intensive since I do work all that week. I am a new fan of raw desserts because they are so easy and quick to make. I just might have to make this!

• Willow June 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I can’t imagine the stress of having all of those fires so nearby. It’s sweltering here, but I can hardly complain.

This tart is exactly my type of dessert – I love making raw desserts, especially piled high with fresh fruit, and have been thinking (with how hot it’s been) that it might be time to make some. Your recipe looks great!

• The Shenandoah Vegan June 29, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Do-able and patriotic!

• Its Carmen June 30, 2012 at 12:50 am

Gorgeous. Simple. Tasty. The photo is fabulous, really shows off the taste (I can imagine it!)

• Nobodys Nothings June 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

this looks SO. GOOD. i absolutely have to make it sometime soon. thanks for sharing!

• cookingwithlysa June 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I just made your delicious berry tart. My mother, sister and boyfriend (family) loved it !!
    thank you !

• Ashlae July 2, 2012 at 1:20 am

Happy you enjoyed it, Lysa!

• v.ora June 30, 2012 at 9:25 pm

waaaaaah I absolutely love your blog.. you take such beautiful pictures and what delicious recipes one can find here O:
    :D

• Heidi @ Food Doodles July 1, 2012 at 12:25 am

Gorgeous tart! So colorful and fresh. Raw tarts are so awesome! My heart goes out to those that have lost their homes in the fires, or that are in danger of losing their homes. How awful! We’re having the opposite problem where I live with lots of flooding :( Kind of a weird year, all over.

• Richa July 1, 2012 at 12:52 am

That is a gorgeous tart. I must make a raw dessert this week.
    It must be stressful for sure with all the devastation. So many weather related problems this year. Take care and have a safe week.

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes July 1, 2012 at 4:34 am

Absolute perfection – blueberries and raspberries just appeared at the farmers market today!

• Julia July 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

1. my husband insists that toaster ovens are life solution to hot days and not turning on an oven but NEEDING chocolate chip cookies. 2. those fires are insane, Jon is actually rom CO and has lots of family there, scary. 3. this tart = gorg, seriously, just amazing!

• Oceana FL July 2, 2012 at 1:16 am

This was absolutely delicious! Will be making again, soon!

• Ashlae July 2, 2012 at 1:20 am

You and me both ;) Happy you enjoyed it.

• Anonymous July 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I made this for the 4th and it was amazing. Thank you for sharing.

• Claire July 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I just discoverd your blog an this tarte really loks amazing. Do you think it would be possible to replace the dates with dried figs? I just thought about it, because it’s not that easy to get dates in Germany..

• Ashlae July 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm

You could absolutely use dried figs, Claire! Let me know how it turns out :)

• Claire July 21, 2012 at 7:45 am

Made it yesterday with blackberries from my garden and it was really good! I will making this again soon! And I’m also planing on trying some of your other raw recepies!

• Donna Phillips March 10, 2013 at 1:06 am

thankyou Ashlae I am soaking my cashews as we speak!! Yummy

• Bree May 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Hi there – I stumbled across this post on pinterest. Just curious – could I make this, berries and all, and put it in the fridge? Or would the consistency be too soft? Let me know if I can do that rather than freeze or assemble right before eating. Thank you!!

• Ashlae May 20, 2013 at 7:38 pm

It should be fine. But it will not last in the fridge for more than three days.

• Orange Meringue Tarts with Grand Marnier - Savory Simple November 21, 2013 at 6:26 am

[…] Oh, Ladycakes – Raw Berry Tart […]