Maple oat scones

Maple oat scones

Dear brothers,

I don’t see you enough – as often as I’d like – but I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how different my life would be if you weren’t around; to push me, to guide me, and to scare the ever living shit out of every man I’ve ever dated.

I’d never admit it growing up, but your protectiveness is something I’ve always cherished. To have five people who care about you so much that they’d go to any extent to shield you from all-things-bad in the world? Well, that’s a pretty good feeling. Better than shaved legs on clean sheets (not that you’d know anything about that), endless salad bars (you probably couldn’t care less about those, either), or running my fingers along wrought iron fences. (Are you still reading?)

Maple oat scones in the makingWet mixtureMaple oat scone dough

Brothers,

Many of the things I’ve grown to love about myself have been things I’ve learned from each of you. You taught me how to be strong, both mentally and physically. You taught me how to stand up for myself, to fight for what I believe and to not stop until I get it. You taught me, by example, that true happiness is attainable (as long as I want it bad enough). And most of all, you taught me how to love myself.. when I didn’t even think that loving myself was possible.

Maple oat sconesMaple oat sconesMaple oat scones

Brothers,

I think of you often; where you are, if you’re happy. And not a day goes by that I don’t dream about all six of us being together again. Sometimes I forget that we’re not kids anymore, but one day I picture us sitting around a table on a patio somewhere, laughing over these scones while we watch our little ones roll around in the grass together. Just like we used to.

I don’t tell you enough, but my love for each of you is so massive that it could swallow the world whole. The five of you have enriched my life beyond belief, and being able to grow up alongside you has truly made me a better person.

So much love,
Your “little” sister

PS – Thanks for not scaring away Thom. He likes you guys, and I think you like him, too.

Maple oat scones

Notes: If you want these to be full of gluten, simply replace the gluten free flour blend with unbleached flour (you still need to add the oat flour) and omit the xanthan gum. These guys have a soft crumb and are just barely sweet, which is why I top them with vanilla bean sugar. The maple glaze was the direct result of Thom’s absolute refusal to eat these things unless I made them sweeter (apparently, the vanilla bean sugar just wasn’t cutting it for that guy). So, the maple glaze recipe follows the baking instructions.

MAPLE OAT SCONES

1 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend
1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp xanthan gum, heaping
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup Grade B maple syrup
1/2 cup almond milk
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Vanilla bean sugar
, optional

Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat, or parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla extract. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet mixture; fold bottom mixture over the top mixture and mix with your hands (g-e-n-t-l-y) just until combined. On a flat surface (or the prepared baking sheet) sprinkled with flour, pat the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick. Slice crosswise 4 ways, transfer to baking sheet (if rolling out on countertop) and sprinkle with vanilla bean sugar, if desired. Bake at 375˚F for 16-18 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool, then store in an air tight container for up to three days.

For the maple glaze, combine 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup in a small bowl; whisk until smooth. Spoon over cooled scones.

Yield: 8 scones

• Ashley September 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Wow! Very impressed in the appearance of these and that they are not only vegan but GF as well. Nicely done! I am a huge fan of lightly sweetened baked goods but I bet that maple glaze is just perfect on top of these. Gorgeous photos and fantastic story!

• Dana @ Minimalist Baker September 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

every time i read one of your posts, I feel compelled to say, ” I love you.” So, there.

• Ashlae September 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Dana, I love you, too.

Now, let’s go to Iceland, shall we?

• Janae @ Bring-Joy September 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I agree w/ Dana. I think you’re just brilliant. (& I love your recipes, too.)

• la domestique September 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM

FIVE brothers? My sister and I were raised by a single mom, so I cannot even imagine what that would be like. It sounds wonderful though, and reading this makes my heart swell with love for my little sis. The scones are fantastic too!

• Jenni Austria Germany September 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

i’m thinking of quitting school and devoting my life to making recipes from your blog every day…

• Ashley _ Baker by Nature September 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I’ve been mad over maple this season, and these scones look like a perfect breakfast treat!

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes September 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Aww this post is so full of sweetness- you are so lucky to have somemany great guys in your life :) plus you make them scones so they must love you to pieces too :)

• Lauren Huot September 19, 2012 at 3:08 AM

These look so delicious! Im wondering if you have a gluten free flour recipe that doesn’t use starch??

• Ashlae September 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Unfortunately I do not. You could try replacing the starch with sweet rice flour, then double the amount of xanthan gum per cup (1/2 teaspoon, instead of 1/4 teaspoon). Since the starch helps to thicken the mixture, you may need to add additional flour.

• Lauren Huot September 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Great that’s awesome! I will definitely try that out because these look so delish! I started reading this book called “Wheat Belly” and it talks a little bit about gluten free baking that uses starches. It has scared me away from eating wheat or gluten free stuff that relies on starches!

• Suzanne @ Roll With It September 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I have brothers too and loved your tribute to them.

• annabrones September 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM

These look amazing, and I love that gluten free flour blend!

• Christina Bauer September 21, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Could this be made with whole wheat flour? I don’t need to be GF and don’t have GF flour, but WW might be good?

• Willow September 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Wonderful post! I love love love this… I only have one brother, but I can absolutely relate to everything you said. He has taught me so much, and I cannot even fathom a world without him.

The scones sound incredible as well – I always get a hankering for maple flavored desserts as soon as the leaves start turning color! :)

• vanilla bean blog September 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Love this! I love maple oat scones. Yours are beautiful.
    And shaved legs on clean sheets… my favorite. :)

• glutenfreehappytummy.com September 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM

you’re making me drooooooool :)

• Cookie and Kate September 26, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I have two little brothers, but they aren’t so little any more. It’s weird. So glad to have them in my life, though. These scones look lovely.

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Random comment alert! I went to high school with Thom and have somehow begun to stalk your blog via him on Facebook. I think we have even met at the iron skillet perhaps…which is far from maple scones. Mine are in the oven! Love your blog and your voice…you are entertaining and heartfelt, and the recipes are…ah-mazing

• Ashlae October 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM

What! How cool. Might the forces of Christmas Eve unite us at the Iron Skillet (again!) this year? Hope you enjoy the maple scones – we gobbled ‘em up in a day. And thanks for your sweet words. I’m a little bit jealous you knew Thom during his angst-y teenage days ;)

• Anonymous November 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Looks delicious. Do you think it will be fine to use coconut oil instead of canola?

• Karianne September 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Can’t wait to make these! I’m curious to know if coconut oil could be swapped in for canola oil?? I’m really diggin’ coconut oil right now (who’s not?!).

• Maria April 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I made these scones today with coconut oil and they turned out great! I didn’t have oat flour, so I ground some of my rolled oats in my food processor and it was fine. Great recipe, one of my first gluten free baking successes.

• Celiac Awareness Month: Gluten-free Without the Pricetag | Rebates.com April 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

[…] morning meal. These Gluten-Free Apple Cake Muffins make a delicious breakfast, as well as these Gluten-Free Maple Oat Scones. If you’re craving something a little richer, check […]

• Sunday Swarm: 11 Healthy Meals Fit for Mom | Smart Girls Lift May 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM

[…] 2. Maple Oat Scones | Oh, Ladycakes […]

• How We Keep Our Diets on Track All Week | Can'ts into Cans May 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM

[…] Maple Oat Scones, from Oh, Lady Cakes (which, by the way, are way too delicious for my their own good) […]

• 20 Delicious Gluten Free Breakfast Pastries and Treats June 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM

[…] 13. Maple Oat Scones […]

• 27 Delicious Gluten-Free Breakfast Pastries - Gluten Free Living August 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM

[…] I love maple and I love oats. This will be perfect for the fall with a cup of tea! Recipe here. […]

• Maple Oat Scones Gluten-free - Gluten Free Living August 27, 2014 at 7:10 PM