Raw cacao truffles

Raw cacao truffles

My love for truffles started in Paris, where they weren’t exactly dairy free (or easy on my stomach), but I enjoyed them so much that I was willing to endure the digestive repercussions in exchange for little pillows of heaven that melted chocolate all over my tongue. I don’t know if you’re aware, but truffles are wildly addictive. And practicing self control around them is damn near impossible. In fact, it’s frowned upon in most parts of the world. (That’s not even remotely true.) So, when the mister picked up a couple of bags from our favorite Chocolatier on Rue Mouffetard, I knew it was going to be Trouble. With a capital T.

One morning, before he could wake to shoot me serious looks of disapproval, I tiptoed across the cold tile floor and dug through Thom’s backpack until my hands landed on the crinkly bag of truffles. I untied the silky ribbon, carefully opened the noisy bag, and popped a truffle into my mouth. I devoured it right there, in the dark. In my underwear. It was so good that I decided to take the bag and go sit on the edge of the bathtub. (Why the bathtub? Well, we were renting a studio and it was the only place I could escape to eat the truffles without being caught.) I sat there, thinking about how I could get used to a life of fresh baguettes and truffles, and before I knew it, I had eaten through half the bag.

Raw cacao trufflesRaw cacao truffles

It was then that I decided it’d probably be best to stop mindlessly shoving truffles into my face, and so I returned the bag to Thom’s backpack. By a coup de pot, he didn’t even notice the half eaten bag of truffles until a few days later. But when he did, he went and bought another and let me shamelessly savor the remains of the bag I ate through that early morning. As any good man would.

Notes: These truffles pale in comparison to the Parisian variety, but they’re a nice substitute when you want a taste of that rich, chocolate flavor without all the fuss. The truffle batter is going to be very, very soft. Maybe sticky, even. But don’t worry, it’s supposed to be like that. You’ll freeze the truffles before you roll them into perfect, little balls, which makes them a lot easier to work with. I also left my almonds a little more coarse than I normally would, but I recommend grinding them into a fine meal if you want the truffles to be super smooth.

RAW CACAO TRUFFLES

2 cups raw almonds
1/4 cup cacao powder, plus more for coating
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
12 medjool dates, soaked for 15 minutes
4-6 tbsp raw nut milk, or water

In a food processor fitted with the S blade, blend the almonds, cacao powder and salt into a fine meal. Add the dates and pulse until combined. Add the milk and pulse until a batter starts to form. Using a small cookie scoop, drop the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and freeze for 25-30 minutes. Remove from freezer and roll into round balls, then coat with cacao powder. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week, or the freezer for long-term. Serve at room temperature.

Yield: approximately 24 truffles

• Allysia September 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Chocolate truffles are one of my favorite raw treats ever. They`re so easy! I`m doing a raw food dessert demo in several months and this is definitely one of the recipes I`ll show – I`ll have to try your version out. :)

• sweet road September 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I make truffles every year for the winter holidays and I am truly terrible at tempering chocolate. It’s really bad. That’s why I decided (just now) to try something more along the lines of your truffle recipe this year!

• donatella September 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I love make & eat trufles… And I always make it raw… Great recipe!

• Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! September 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Yes, please! Also, oh my gawd, can I relate to the no self control around chocolate (in my case). I have to set aside a select few so that I don’t just reach into the bag/box/jar of them and make a meal out of it! So good. Ugh.

I’ll have to make your version so that I can subdue my chocolate cravings!

• Amy September 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM

These sound so delicious! I need to try this recipe! I have yet to try making raw truffles, but I know these taste must amazing!

• Vicky September 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM

These look wonderful..they may store in your refrigerator for up to a week but I think they may only store a couple of days in mine!

• Janae @ Bring-Joy September 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

My favorite part of this post: (Why the bathtub? Well, we were renting a studio and it was the only place I could escape to eat the truffles without being caught.) You just did what any good woman would do–Heehee.

• Dana @ Minimalist Baker September 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I’m in love I’m in love and I don’t care who knows it!

• foodfeud September 14, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Yah so easy and dangerous! I love the first, minimalist shot. And the little bite :)

• improvisingfood.com September 14, 2012 at 6:53 AM

great looking blog

• thelittleloaf September 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM

These look incredible! I love normal chocolate truffles but these definitely look like an amazing alternative and almost good for you!

• Katie September 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Yum! I love making date balls, these cocoa truffles look right up my alley. And I *love* that you ate truffles sitting alone on the edge of a bathtub. Totally something I would do :)

• Treble Tart September 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Oh I cannot WAIT to try these!!

• cookingwithlysa September 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I am in love with your photos, the first one is really cute! I will be making these really soon they look delicious!

• Vegan Magic September 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Reading your post was so much fun:)) I absolutely love raw truffles and these look so festive, dusted with cacao. I’m sure they’d make a great gift, in a pretty little box. I’ve made truffles before using the leftover pulp from making raw almond milk, but I’m going to try yours as well, for the crunch:) Gorgeous pictures by the way.

• Caroline September 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I rarely make any of the bajillions of recipes I look over every week, but this one was simple enough and I happened to have all of the ingredients. SO GLAD I did-these are so simple and delicious and I think I’ll get my cream and sugar loving family to even love them. Thanks.

• Ashlae September 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

So happy you like them, Caroline! I polished off the last of my batch this afternoon – sooooo good.

• Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I used to live on raw brownie type of creations like this!!!! Love them.

• Jessica September 18, 2012 at 2:10 AM

ahhhh these look too good!

• Vicky September 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM

This looks so delicious!!!
    Vicky

The Golden Bun

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes September 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

These are so beautiful, loving all the pics (I love all your picsin every post) – hahha undie wearing truffle thief :)

• Blogs September 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,