Raw caramel apple pie

Raw caramel apple pieRaw caramel apple pie

I used to be a self proclaimed lover of all seasons, but over the years, my indecisive mind finally settled and I chose fall. Although the crunchy leaves and crisp, foggy mornings had a lot to do with my decision, I’d be lying if I said I don’t look most forward to introducing heavy knit socks, infinity scarves, and oversized dresses (read: maternity dresses) (no, I’m not pregnant) back into my wardrobe.

Thom, however, likes to remind me how much the combination of those things makes me look like a pauper from the 16th century plague epidemic – which I used to think was a downright awful thing to say about the lady who supplies you with superfluous amounts of baked goods, then I looked at myself in the mirror yesterday and totally saw it. But damnit, I’m embracing it. Fat days don’t exist when you wear dresses that are strikingly similar to a potato sack, and you don’t ever have to worry about unbuttoning your pants at the dinner table (What, you don’t do that?) – a huge plus for someone who doesn’t know how to say no to food on a plate.

Caramel apple fillingCaramel apple hand pies

Speaking of fall, have you guys seen the fall issue of Chickpea Magazine? If not, you can view it right here. And if you like those adorable, little hand pies pictured above (they’re caramel apple, too) (!!!!!), flip to page 26 to find the recipe. Meanwhile, I don’t like to make demands like this, but you should really make the raw caramel apple pie. It’s incredibly tasty. ‘Nuff said.

RAW CARAMEL APPLE PIE

6-18 medjool dates, pitted and divided
1 1/2 cups walnuts
3 medium apples
, different varieties
1 cup filtered water, plus more for soaking
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp fine sea salt

Line the bottom of a round 8″ tart pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a food processor fitted with the S blade, blend the walnuts into a fine meal. Add 8-10 dates and process for 20-30 seconds, just until the dates are blended and combined. Press the dough into the prepared pan, then cover with plastic and freeze until ready to use.

Add the remaining 8 dates to a small bowl and cover with water; soak for 10-15 minutes. While the dates are soaking, prepare the apples by peeling and coring them. Cut into 1/4″ thick slices then chop into small chunks. Transfer to a small bowl and cover with a damp towel (and lemon juice, if you’re worried about them browning). When the dates have finished soaking, discard the water. Add the dates, water, cinnamon and salt to a high speed blender and blend until smooth; about 15-20 seconds. Pour over apples and toss until the chunks are evenly coated.

Remove the pie crust from the freezer and pile with apple filling. Freeze for at least 45 minutes and thaw before serving. Pie will keep frozen in an air tight container for up to 6 weeks, but I doubt it will last that long.

Yield: 8 large (or 16 small) servings

• Ashley September 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

1. CONGRATS! So cool to have a magazine feature. 2. This raw apple pie looks….insane. I never would have imagined this was even a possibility, but I am in love. I hope I can find time in between doughnuts + my expanding waistline to make this dessert this fall!

• Janae @ Bring-Joy September 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

“Fat days don’t exist when you wear dresses that are strikingly similar to a potato sack, and you don’t ever have to worry about unbuttoning your pants at the dinner table.” Um, yes! This is why I think we should all embrace the skirt, dress, potato sack, or what have you. Would solve 95% of our body image issues, don’t you think? :)

• Emine September 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM

i love this cake stand, it adds so much to the photographs.
    x

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes September 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM

You are so amazing! This pie looks to die for and thank you for the maternity dress tip…I am an abuser of Stretchy Pants at home with ovesized sweaters and shirts, boys just don’t understand, at somepoint in your life the need to be comfortable at all times is a must even if it means I look like I never changed out of my yoga cloths :)

• Shannon September 25, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I am definitely a layer-er. One time time my boyfriend pointed out that I was wearing at least ten items of clothing and a scarf. Whoops.

• Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Oh my goodness this looks amazing. I will definitely be making this after we go apple picking. I love the fall more than anything, I seriously can’t get enough. I just wish it could last longer. Great recipe!

• Cookie and Kate September 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Yesss, this is the raw apple pie recipe I’ve been looking forward to since I saw it on instagram! Really beautiful, I bet it tastes just as good as it looks.

• greyout September 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Think this would work with some type of seeds, rather than nuts? Because it looks ridiiiiiculously delicious.

• greyout October 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Anyone? Bueller? hahaha

• Ashlae October 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Hi! Sorry, I didn’t see your original comment. Yes! This would work with any type of nut or seed – you’ll have to adjust the measurement, though.

• Kristy September 26, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I can’t wait until my new food processor arrives and I can give this recipe a try! It looks like it would be a big hit on Thanksgiving!

• caren September 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Hello Ladycakes, this looks D-VINE!!!
    Gorgeous blog. You’ve got yourself a new fan :)

• Anonymous September 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Just made it…. sooooo delicious…. just might be my favorite desert ever!!!

• Kelsey September 27, 2012 at 2:49 AM

PUHLEAAASE. Pauper-plague dresses are where it’s at, and your skinny self will make them all look good. Yay fall weather! I hope we can catch up soooooooon.

• Ashlae September 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

MUST SEE YOU SOON.

• Kimberley September 27, 2012 at 4:03 AM

These are precious! I do love all seasons pretty equally, but I’ve been eyeing my enthusiasm for fall this year with some suspicion. Why is it just the best? I look forward to all those same things: formless clothes, huge chunky knits, crisp weather, spicy baked goods. UGH. I love it.

• glutenfreehappytummy.com October 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM

that looks absolutely AMAZING!!!

• Baker Bettie October 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM

This looks fabulous! Fall is by far my favorite season too. It is the most inspiring for me as far as my kitchen creations. And your pics are gorg as always. xoxo

• Cara October 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Good grief lady, you are my hero. These pictures are GORGEOUS! (just like you in your oversized dresses) Are you doing MoFo this year? aka: the place we met and fell in love. xo

• Melony Teague October 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I think I just died and went to heaven, just found your site, beautiful and stuff I CAN EAT too!

• sashasnaturals.com October 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I am so excited to try this!! I’ve just discovered your blog and love it – thank you for these truly wonderful recipes.

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I just made this for my hubby’s birthday and it was utterly amazing! He’s a tough critic but he loved it. Should it stay in the freezer or fridge to keep?

• Ashlae October 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM

So happy to hear that! Fridge for up to three days, freezer for long term. If freezing, let it thaw for 15 minutes before consuming.

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Thank you! I have a feeling there won’t be any left by the end of the day and I’ll have to make another for Thanksgiving tomorrow! Now to try a few more recipes from your site – thanks so much!

• Melony Teague October 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I have been dreaming about this for days…think I’ll make it on holiday Monday (Canadian Thanksgiving. I will be in danger od eating the whole thing by myself if I don’t freeze it.

• Ashlae October 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM

That almost happened to me. Luckily, I pawned it off on some friends ;)

• vegan.in.brighton October 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM

That looks so good, I love all of the flavours associated with fall but apples top the list.

• Lauren November 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Made this the other day and LOVED it. An amazing replacement for apple pie just in time for pie season. :) THANK YOU!!!

• Anonymous November 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Can you make this with an already-made (store bought) graham cracker crust?

• Ashlae November 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I don’t see why not. But then it wouldn’t be raw.

• Linnea January 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Hi! Since I live in Sweden I can´t get my hands on medjool dates. :( But I have organic big dried dates. Could I soak them and use them? In that case, how long should I soak them? :)
    Thanks for the recipe!!! :D

• Ashlae January 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Hi Linnea! I’ve never used any other type of date, so I couldn’t tell you. Soak until they’re very soft!

• Erin February 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Just made this and it is so very delicious! Yummmmmmm!!!! Lip smackin’ good! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Big hit!

• Lana | MyHappyDessert June 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Oh, this pie is amazing! I am definitely giving it a try.

Do I keep the leftovers in a freezer or in a fridge?

• Lana | MyHappyDessert June 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Hi Ashlae,

Just found you through Buzzfeed and have added your RSS to my blog reader – I love new blogs! And I can’t wait to try this recipe – it looks delicious.

• Raw Caramel Apple Pie | July 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

[…] The recipe is adapted from the Oh, Ladycakes blog. […]

• Alison January 2, 2014 at 6:27 AM

I just made it today for my birthday and it was soooo good ! I didn’t have Medjool dates so I used regular dates paste, but I guess it’d be even better with Medjool dates…
    Even my parents, who are not exactly into the healthy/clean/raw food, liked it, I was very surprised and happy !
    Thanks so much for the recipe. By the way, I love your photos. And your blog. And all your recipes :)

• Охлажденный яблочный пирог | VegeTimes September 17, 2014 at 5:04 AM

[…] Спасибо за рецепт Ashlae. […]

• Jeannine Lewis October 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM

You know when you read a recipe and you know you have to make it a.s.a.p (tomorrow for me as it’s late) well this was one of those moments (and those things makes me look like a pauper from the 16th century plague epidemic hahaa know that one)

• Leila Revel October 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Hi there, I was wondering if there are measurements for the dates? I don’t have medjool but have the california grown and I think they are smaller. Any help would be great on the substitution.

• Raw Apple Pie Filling with Dates October 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM

[…] Total time 20 mins   A healthy raw apple pie filling with any added sugar! Inspired by Oh Lady Cakes. Author: Brittany Mullins Serves: 3½ cups […]

• Thanksgiving For Special Diets | Gluten Free Thanksgiving November 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

[…] Apple Crisp from The Humbled Homemaker Pumpkin Pie from Minimalist Baker Raw Caramel Apple Pies from Oh, Ladycakes Best All Butter Gluten Free Piecrust  from Flippin’ Delicious Raw […]

• Thanksgiving for Special Diets | Paleo Thanksgiving November 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

[…] Sweet Potato Meringue Pie from Cupcakes OMG Two Ingredient Chocolate Mousse from Oh, Ladycakes Raw Caramel Apple Pies from Oh, Ladycakes Paleo Mini Pecan Pies from Eating Paleo 4 Health Raw Pumpkin Pie from Oh, […]