How to make raw cashew cream

Raw cashew creamDates and cashews

Cashew cream is one of my favorite condiments. It counts as a condiment, right? I slather it on muffins and spice breads, use it as a fruit dip, and sometimes – when no one’s watching – I eat it straight out of the jar. The tall guy? He hates the stuff. Like, hates it more than he hates gravy, coffee and ranch dressing, combined. I know what you’re thinking, how can anyone hate coffee? But he does. And he hates cashew cream even more. Because – wait for it – it tastes like cashews.Dude is batshit crazy, but I love him nonetheless.

The thing I love about cashew cream (listen up, tall guy) is that it’s super versatile and tastes pretty delicious. If you want it sweeter, add more dates. Less sweet? Use fewer dates. For a savory version, omit the dates and add some nutritional yeast, spices, salt, or whatever your little belly desires. You can play with the consistency by varying the liquid measurement, which I’ve laid out below. If you plan on storing the cream for longer than one week, you’ll want to either a) freeze it, then thaw it in the refrigerator for a day or two, or b) add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, which will preserve it for two weeks.

RAW CASHEW CREAM

1 1/2 cups raw cashew pieces
4-6 medjool dates, pitted
3/4 cup raw nut milk (or water)
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

Place the cashews in a bowl, cover with water and soak for at least 4 hours, or overnight (the longer you soak them, the better – especially if you don’t have a high speed blender). 30 minutes before preparing the cashew cream, add the dates to the cashew soaking bowl and soak for 30 minutes. Once soaked, drain the water and transfer the cashews and dates to the base of a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix. Add the nut milk and vanilla bean; blend on high speed for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Transfer to an air tight container and refrigerate for up to one week.

Yield: 1 3/4 cups

LIQUID VARIATIONS:
1/4 cup liquid = very thick cream; use as frosting for raw layer cakes
1/2 cup liquid = semi-thick cream; use to fill raw tarts or pies
3/4 cup liquid = light cream; use to fill raw tarts or spread over baked goods
1 cup liquid = sauce-like cream; use as a fruit dip or drizzle over desserts
3 cups liquid = thick cashew milk; great as a raw ice cream base

• sweet road November 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I love cashew butter, so I’m sure I’ll like cashew cream. Does this sort of harden or thicken up the same way peanut butter or frosting might?

• Eileen November 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Somehow I have never made cashew cream! I think I’d be most likely to try a very not-sweet version for extra creamy texture on savory dishes. But now I’m thinking about the upcoming need for pumpkin pie… :)

• mk November 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Why are cashews the best thing ever? This looks awesome.

• Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! November 6, 2012 at 3:01 am

I love the versatility of cashew cream, like you said. And always add a touch of lemon juice! Right now I have a very large jar filled with raw cashews just waiting to be soaked and blended up. Mua ha ha haaaa!

• Laura November 6, 2012 at 3:06 am

Your man IS CRAZY. When I have a batch of cashew cream in the house, it becomes its own separate food group entity under the guise of “I NEED PROTEIN, JEEZ.”

I love it in savory format with apple cider vinegar and a bit of horseradish or something. It’s a one way ticket to a little place I like to call taco paradise.

• Andrea November 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

But, but, but … cashews taste GOOD! And anyway, cashew cream tastes better than cashews. I’m totally on your side. Bring on the cashew cream — and a spoon!

• Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes November 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I am so happy you shared this- I have never had cashew cream before, it sounds uber easy and amazing – that Tall Boy is pretty nutty – not like cashews? that’s just pure crazy!

• Jessie May November 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

This recipe looks fantastic, I have never tried cashew cream before! But after reading this I will have to give it a whirl. Thank you for sharing! (That batshitcrazy comment made me laugh out loud, hahaha, what a nut).

• blessedmama November 7, 2012 at 12:43 am

I love this recipe!

• Liam Keesling November 8, 2012 at 8:16 am

Another reason for me to finally purchase a blender! This recipe sounds amazing!

• Marie November 8, 2012 at 9:58 am

Wow ur recipes are great and healthy! Thx for sharing them :)

• Kelle November 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

yum! definitely going to try this one!

• vanilla bean blog November 10, 2012 at 4:13 am

My husband hates coffee, too. I always had this sweet vision of us nestled in coffeehouses, sipping lattes and reading the paper until the late afternoon… but alas. I go do that by myself. ;)

• lulufisk November 11, 2012 at 1:15 am

what do vegans who are allergic to nuts do? I’m constantly seeing it in vegan cooking but am lethally allergic to nuts :/

• Ashlae November 11, 2012 at 1:19 am

How about seeds? If you’re not allergic to those, you could try almonds. But, you’ll want to make sure you soak them for 10+ hours.

• lulufisk November 14, 2012 at 4:55 am

sadly, I’m allergic to all tree nuts, almonds included :/ maybe sunflower seeds?

• Cheryll December 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Definitely try sunflower seeds. I use them in place of all sorts of nuts because we have a large family and they are much cheaper than cashews. They work well for any recipe that calls for cashews or other nuts :) I even used them to make a southern style pecan pie for one of my friends who’s deathly allergic to all nuts and she raved and raved about how it taste just like pecan pie.

• Cookie and Kate November 12, 2012 at 4:06 am

Well, you’ve convinced me to jump on the cashew cream bandwagon. I’m a big fan of homemade coconut butter and pecan butter, can’t get enough of that stuff!

• Anonymous February 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

when a recipe calls for HEAVY CREAM, can I use cashew cream (without the dates)?

• Ashlae February 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I wouldn’t. I’d try full fat coconut milk, instead.

• Sophie June 5, 2013 at 5:07 am

Could you do that with any type of nuts? Hazelnuts? Walnuts? Wanted to find a good Hazelnut Cream Recipe for so long to make it the base of a macaron filling do you think this could work?

• suszie blair February 23, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Can I use your cashew cream recipe to make cooked puddings and cakes instead of using canned coconut milk which is called for in so many of the recipes.

Thank-you,
    Suzie

• Ashlae February 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hi Susie -

I haven’t tried so I can’t tell you for certain.

Sorry!

• suszie blair February 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thank-you!

• Raw Black Bottom Pumpkin Pies with Whipped Coconut Cream March 19, 2014 at 8:08 am

[…] to make this completely raw you will need to use raw pumpkin instead of the canned, and substitute cashew cream for the whipped coconut cream. Yields four 4-inch mini pies. Could substitute one 9-inch tart […]

• Raw Chocolate Fudge March 19, 2014 at 8:09 am

[…] cup coconut oil, in its solid form1/4 teaspoon sea saltOptional ToppingsCashew cream recipe used here.Raw shredded coconutRaw cacao nibsOptional Mix-in IdeasChopped nutsRaw cacao nibsDried fruit […]