Lazy girl peanut butter cookies

Lazy girl peanut butter cookiesLazy girl peanut butter cookie ingredients

In case you couldn’t tell by my lack of posting, shit has hit the fan over here. I’m scrambling to put finishing touches on projects and research papers, and trying my best to refrain from using inappropriate language when I get upset or frustrated. The end is in sight, so close I can almost taste it. But unfortunately, the end being in sight means my anxiety has quadrupled and, as a result, I’ve morphed into a complete nutcase who binge eats dark chocolate, tortilla chips, and caramel covered popcorn. At the same time.

As if luring me from this place wasn’t enough, the massive amount of school work has also managed to sabotage my diet and fitness regimen. What used to be chock full of fresh fruits and vegetables now consists of junk food. Lots of it.* And don’t even get me started on the fact that I don’t remember the last time I picked up the dumbbells in my spare room.** That’s how lazy I’ve become – I cannot even be bothered to lift in the comfort of my own home.

Lazy girl peanut butter cookies

My pants like to remind me of what this type of neglect will do to a body. Little do they know, I have a secret stash of jeans for moments like this; moments that would have previously resulted in a meltdown of sorts. You know, like me throwing every pair of pants I own out of my fourth story window. Or shoveling spoonfuls of homemade cookie dough ice cream into my face while crying to the tune of Kate Winslet telling Leonardo DiCaprio she’ll never let go. But now? Now I just give my skinnies the middle finger and pull out my boyfriend jeans. Otherwise known as the jeans that were made for fat days. Or weeks. Months? I’m not judging.

*My version of junk food isn’t really junk food. I don’t want you to picture me eating corn dogs or donuts or any other stuff that is worthy of being called junk. Peanut butter is hardly junk, but I consider it so when half the jar gets eaten in one day.

Lazy girl peanut butter cookie pie

Oh, that thing up there? I call it lazy girl peanut butter cookie pie. It’s the result of pressing the dough into a 6″ cake pan then pouring melted chocolate (1/4 cup chocolate chips + 1 teaspoon coconut oil) over top. It’s good. You should make it.

Notes: Any type of flaked grain will work in this recipe – so far, I’ve made the cookies with kamut and quinioa. If you want to turn these into protein cookies, omit 1/2 cup of the oats and add 1/3 cup of your favorite protein powder. Cacao powder would be good, too. Every once in a while I’ll throw in a handful of cacao nibs or a pinch of cinnamon. If your dates aren’t fresh, you’ll want to soak them in water for 15-20 minutes to soften them up.

2 cups rolled oats
Pinch of fine sea salt
10 medjool dates
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
6 tbsp nut milk

In a food processor fitted with the S blade, blend the oats and sea salt into a fine meal. Add the dates and peanut butter; blend for 30-45 seconds. Add the nut milk and pulse just until combined. Using a small cookie scoop, drop the dough onto a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Press a fork into the tops, then freeze for 15 minutes to set. Refrigerate in an air tight container for up to two weeks. Cookies will keep in freezer for months.

Yield: 2 dozen

• Reply Shannon December 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Yum! That cookie pie looks like it will cure all my chocolate craving hormonal blues.

• Reply london bakes December 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Ack, I hate weeks/months like that. Good luck with your deadlines & projects and thank you for sharing these little nuggets of deliciousness in the middle of such a busy time for you!

• Reply sweet road December 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Ha! I love this. My roommate has been bringing home one too many desserts leftover from work so I’ve been having a total chub month. For times like this I praise spandex, chunky winter clothing, and having to ride my bike in order to get groceries!

• Reply Courtney December 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I totally turn to “junk” food too when I’m busy. There’s nothing wrong with some all natural kettle corn, but there is when you’ve eaten the entire bag in a day… Thanks for sharing these lovely little cookies amidst the craziness!

• Reply Suzanne @ Roll With It December 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I love that you clarify what “junk” food is to you. My version of junk is along the same lines except it sometimes includes take out Chinese noodles…You’re almost at the finish line, good luck!

P.S. These look amazing, but I’m certain I did not need to state the obvious since your recipes always look amazing!

• Reply adrienne yancey December 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

A girl after my own heart :) One of my all-time favorite flavor combinations!

• Reply Abby @ The Frosted Vegan December 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I need these ASAP!

• Reply Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Im so happy you posted these! I love peanut butter (I had to stop buying peanut butter because I too consume it on an insane level) but I despise baked peanut butter cookies…thought of them makes me want to die.

Good luck with all of your finals! Many of us are sharing your pain but we can do it! :)

P.S. Im eating peanut butter and chocolate melted on top of your raw banana bread recipe right now. sooooooooooo good

• Reply Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! December 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

That pie? Um.. Fuck yeah. Peanut butter + Chocolate = Love, and loss of self control for me. ha ha

• Reply kelsey December 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM

If you want to feel better about life, come try on my pantelones girlfriend. I want these. ASAP. When you’re done with finals please come over for hot toddy’s and kale and general merriment. I miss you! ps, this photo:

• Reply TheCookieFairy December 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Fat days/weeks will happen no matter what, so just hang in there! This recipe looks soooooo good. I am drooling, actually drooling over my laptop.

• Reply Laura December 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Not being melodramatic: boyfriend jeans are proof that we are loved in this world.

I’ve been there with the finals thing and the necessity of eating chocolate, salty snacks and caramel corn at the same time. The triviality of the contrasting flavors is somehow totally clutch when stress hits.

Rooting for ya girl. YOU GOT THIS.

• Reply Fani Sixto December 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Yummy!! These peanut butter cookies look awesome!! I didn’t know your blog but I really liked it!!! I’m following you!
    Thanks for sharing these recipe! I loved it!

• Reply Angela December 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

How do you use quinoa in this recipe – just sub it in for the oats, as is (no cooking)? Thanks!

• Reply Ashlae December 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You have to use quinoa flakes – they’re available at most natural grocery stores.

• Reply Averie @ Averie Cooks December 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I love making bars and cookies with just oats, dates, and PB – so easy and they always taste great – and yours, mmmmm, I want a taste. Looks awesome!

• Reply barbara December 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Ooh i am going to try this recipe using groats. Let u know! Do vegan choc chips melt just as simple as regular?

• Reply Heidi @ Food Doodles December 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I love these! They look great. I made some similar but without oats so I can imagine that these are just as yummy! I especially love your idea for the cookie pie – gotta try that :)

• Reply sandra December 13, 2012 at 8:03 PM

These are such a good idea. I made them too – you can see my version here:

• Reply Darla January 30, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Any idea where to get an affordable blender/food processor that will blend these items? I’ve gone through one too many..

• Reply Ashlae January 30, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Couldn’t tell ya, Darla! I use a KitchenAid 12 cup processor which was about $200 – I highly recommend it. I’ve had it for two years and haven’t had any issues.

• Reply Jessie K February 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM

My husband just bought me a Ninja blender that I absolutely love! It’s about $150 but totally worth IMO.

• Reply Anna June 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Could I substitute the Pb with almond butter too? My bf is allergic to peanut, so I have to find alternatives… Thanks in advance :)

• Reply cashew and oat cookies – molly, ily July 10, 2013 at 3:29 AM

[…] from a recipe at Oh, Ladycakes (my love for this blog knows no bounds – truly, truly wonderful), these are the sort of […]

• Reply Genevieve July 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Hi! I just wanted to let you know how much I loved this recipe. In fact, my 6 year old daughter who does not like peanut butter or even dates for that matter, loved these. Which actually prompted me to bake your brownie bites and almond bites as well today (hey when the food processor is out of the cupboard, may as well take advantage of it). So thank you thank you thank you for sharing your awesome talent for words and food!

• Reply Emma November 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Man I can’t even have nut butter in the house -with the exception of tahini – They are my best friend forever and at the same time my worst enemy! However next time I do decide to splurge… this recipe is going down!

• Reply Raquel November 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I made these using almond butter instead of peanut butter. OMG.. they are soooooooooooooooooooooooo good! I ate most of them up, I couldn’t help myself! I will be making these again for sure, but need to exercise self control! YUM!

• Reply Lucy December 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Oh my god I am going to go and make these tomorrow when I can get some nut milk. I have been craving healthy junk (if that makes sense) so I’m right on it! And I totally get being behind on projects, story of my life…!

• Reply Pinned & Polished December 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM

[…] these little guys. I made some substitutions and additions (as per […]

• Reply Kate December 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Does it taste great without dates?

• Reply Ashlae December 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Hi Kate –

I haven’t tried it, so I wouldn’t know.

• Reply Kayleigh December 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Hi, Kate!

I made them with Craisins instead of dates ( and I thought they were great! They were sweetened by the Craisins just enough. I’ve never baked with dates so I can’t really compare for you, but I can tell you they were not very sweet; just sweet enough. :)

• Reply Katrine December 11, 2014 at 3:37 AM

These look so nice.
    Do you think I could substitute the nut milk with regular semi-skimmed?

Thanks :)

• Reply TGIFriday Faves. | thedancingrunner December 19, 2014 at 7:45 AM

[…] we are on the topic of food…digging these lazy girl peanut butter cookies. I really think these were made with me in […]

• Reply Yıldırım Satılık Daire January 9, 2015 at 12:55 AM

• Reply Rachel Page May 23, 2015 at 2:28 AM

These have always been one of my favorite snacks!