Raw lemon goji berry bites

Raw lemon goji berry bites

Today marks 90 days until a jet plane carries us across the Atlantic and drops us in Europe until the middle of November. Which means I only have three months to prepare myself for the period of time where life isn’t going to be as comfy and effortless as it is right here in Denver, Colorado. In my cozy loft, in the heart of downtown, with enormous windows and a killer nighttime view and the best burritos in town within walking distance. 1/2 block walking distance. I’ve been weaning myself off of the gym and green smoothies, and have been trying my best to whittle down the pile of crap I want to take to a sensible amount I need to take. I’m anxious, can you tell? I just need these next three months to fly by without a hitch, because it’s hard to concentrate when you have something this big looming on the horizon.

So, for the next 90 days I’m going to be constantly reminding myself that in the very near future I’m not going to be able to eat my typical vegetable heavy diet or wash my hair with my favorite shampoo, just because I like the way it calms my natural waves. I won’t be seeing familiar faces, spending early mornings lifting heavy things, or keeping up with the demands of taking a bunch of vitamins I don’t really know if I need, but I swear make me feel better. I’m trying to prepare myself for the fact that I’m going to be showering in flip flops, sharing rooms with strangers, and eating a bunch of food I probably wouldn’t touch if we were still in Denver (pizza marinara, I can’t wait to get my hands on you). But despite any impending difficulties or metaphorical bumps in the road or having frizzy hair every single day of the trip, I think I’m going to experience four of the most spontaneous and adventurous months of my life. Europe, I can’t wait to see you.

Meyer lemonsGoji berriesRaw lemon goji berry ingredientsRaw lemon goji berry bitesRaw lemon goji berry bites

Notes: If you’d prefer to use cashews in place of almonds, knock yourself out. I haven’t tried any other type of nut so I can’t recommend anything else. The goji berries can be replaced with any dried berry; cranberries, acai berries, etc. Cherries would probably work well, too. Whole Foods sells goji berries in their bulk section, and a half a cup ran me about $3.

RAW LEMON GOJI BERRY BITES

2 cups raw almonds
Pinch of Himalayan salt
10 medjool dates
, pitted and soaked for 15 minutes
Juice and zest of two meyer lemons
1/2 cup goji berries
, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, optional

In a food processor fitted with the S blade, blend the almonds and salt into a fine meal. Add the dates and lemon juice/zest; pulse until combined. Transfer the mixture to a small mixing bowl and mix in the goji berries and coconut with a wooden spoon. Using a 1 teaspoon cookie scoop, drop the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll into round balls, if desired. Freeze for 30 minutes then transfer to an air tight container. Will keep in freezer for several months but I doubt they’ll last that long.

Yield: about 85 bites

• Ashley April 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I am LOVING the fruit + lemon combo here. A definite favorite in bars/bites like this. I would have never thought to prepare myself a few months ahead of time for a big trip like that. It makes sense, though! I better see you before you leave! :)

• Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch April 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

These sound wonderful! I love ALL of these ingredients – and I love that they freeze well, but they sound so good I’m sure they’d “disappear” quickly!!!

• Meg Sylvia April 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Ooh, yum! My sister actually made something very similar a couple weeks back, minus the Gogi berries. Have never had them, so would love to give this variation a try!

• Selina Supper April 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM

These look and sound sooo delicious!
    Oh and where exactly are you going? What are you planing to visit? :)
    Greetings from Germany ;)

• ashley - baker by nature April 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

A) I’m SO happy I found your blog today!
    B) I’m officially jealous of your trio
    C) These bites MUST happen in my kitchen ASAP!

Brilliant!

• Teresa April 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Where do you go for green smoothies in Denver? What is your favorite? Have been looking to try a few places!

• Ashlae April 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I usually make mine at home, put Parsley (in the Golden Triangle) has delicious green juices.

• Teresa April 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Thanks, Ashlae, much appreciated!

• Hannah April 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Omg. I need a little ball scooper like yours. The fact that they are all the same size just pushes my buttons. These also sound tangy and delicious.

• Brooke April 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Brooke April 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Have you ever read the blog called Foodbabe? She has great tips for easy foods and supplements to pack while traveling! Lot’s of packable raw snacks.

• Beth @ Tasty Yummies April 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

These look soo amazing, I am obsessed with little cookie ball/bites like these. I love the fresh lemon flavor, I bet these are so incredible.

• Meg Jones | The Spatularettes April 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Hi there! I can’t make most of your recipes because I’m allergic to nuts, but it doesn’t stop me from loving your blog. Beautiful photographs and beatuiful stories :)

• Isobelle April 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I’m not even gonna say how pissed I am about you going to Liverpool Ashlae. Us Leeds people have a thing against Liverpudlians. Plus, their accent is super thick. And they’re scary. And have really big claws.
    Okay, Liverpool is cool. I just miss England and I’m mega jealous, but this trip sounds incredible. You’re going to have such a trip!! So excited for you, for realz.

PS. It feels so weird to comment on here now. IT HAS BEEN FOREVER. (my bad)

• Natural Source Biotech Co.,Ltd April 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I love goji berries very much,and thank you for your blog,although we offer goji berry to EU many years,however we never know goji can be cooking like this!

• Gina @ So Lets Hang Out April 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Yum, Yum, YUM! I am totally going to make these today! :)

• Richa April 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM

oh wow! those are the roundest and the prettiest snack bites i have seen! that gorgeous color too! have an awesome trip Ashlae :)

• london bakes April 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

You are going to have the best trip ever (although I totally get you about the shampoo thing. I endured a terrible two weeks of vacation-hair when we were in LA recently).

• Ann {Herbivore Triathlete} April 5, 2013 at 11:16 PM

These sound amazing. I absolutely adore goji berries and the addition of lemon is genius. Have fun on your trip, it sounds incredible.

• Joy April 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

These look delicious! Have a wonderful time on your trip!

Joy@ fortheloveofleaves.blogspot.com

• Marta April 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

If you go to Eastern Europe, write me, i’m from Lithuania. I would like to meet you and show some great places in my region. Also i have couch for you for couple nights.
    I hope your trip will be unforgettable!

My e-mail: m.cerniauskaite [eta] gmail.com

• Swiss Miss April 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

You will love Europe I’m sure!! If you stop in Switzerland, let me know :) Your lemon goji berry bites look awsome!! I’m sure the are the perfect post work out snack!
    xox Amy

• eatgreatbegreat April 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM

These sound so different! Yum!

• vanilla bean blog April 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Oh, what a trip! I’m officially jealous, but terribly happy for you. :)
    And, as someone who suffers from high anxiety, I’m sending peaceful vibes your way. xo

• Kathryne April 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM

You are going to have the greatest time in Europe. I think it’s time for me to buy some goji berries. I love what you’ve done with them here.

• Shannon @ moveeatcreate.wordpress.com April 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Oh! I have a half a bag of goji berries just itching to be used for something delicious like this.

• Hannah Brinberg May 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Ashlae May 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I don’t count calories.

• Hannah Brinberg May 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Ashlae May 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Zero. Because I don’t count them ;)

• Christina September 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Great idea for a raw snack. Loved these – tangy, creamy and nutty all at the same time. Goji berries bring quite a strange flavour – but I’m warming to it. I run a small gourmet cafe way up in Northern Canada (Norman Wells) and made these for a Government group requesting “healthy, raw snacks” for catering. I used a tablespoon measure to make mine into balls and I got exactly 20. Perfect fingerfood for a small group. Thanks for the recipe Ashlae.

• Sample Post With Threaded Comments September 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM

[…] Raw Lemon Goji Berry Bites. […]

• Berrylicious bliss balls | to her core April 2, 2014 at 3:40 AM

[…] Adapted from Raw lemon goji bites by Ohladycakes […]

• Raw Cacao, Orange & Fig Energy Balls | highgate hill kitchen April 20, 2014 at 4:20 PM

[…] quite tasty. There are many wonderful variations on the energy (or bliss) ball – I like these from Oh, Ladycakes, and these ones from Kenko Kitchen look great, though I haven’t actually […]

• Healthy Snacks | The Tina Times August 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM

[…] Raw Lemon Goji Berry Bites  //Oh Ladycakes […]

• How to Snack Healthily September 2, 2014 at 5:11 PM

[…] nice images of these things so, I guess I’m not the only one. One of my favourites are the Raw Lemon Goji Berry Bites by Oh, Ladycakes which I just thought were so different tasting to your average energy ball with […]

• An edible gift guide for food lovers. | Broccoli & blueberries November 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

[…] Choc-mint is one of the best combinations ever. I was given a bag of these delicious morsels last year and I may have acquired the recipe and tripled it. This is not the exact recipe but it’s similar and I assume it will be just as delicious. If you’re looking for a healthier option, I love these lemon & goji berry bites. […]