Salted chocolate-pretzel peanut butter cookies

Salted chocolate-pretzel peanut butter cookies

You are King Midas.
You have the power to turn everything around you to gold.
You are a wonderfully gifted and eternally beautiful person,
And I thank the winds every time I think of you.

•      •      •

Thom‘s words of wisdom during a time when I felt as though my entire world was crumbling beneath my feet. If your world is crumbling (or even if it’s not), just remember – you are King Midas.

Let’s turn everything to gold.

Pretzel sticksPretzel flourCreamy peanut buttaMini chocolate chipsSalted chocolate-pretzel peanut butter cookie doughSalted chocolate-pretzel peanut butter cookies

Notes: Cookies can be made gluten free by replacing the flour with a gluten free flour blend + 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum and the pretzels with gluten free pretzels. If you prefer your cookies light and fluffy (opposed to thin and chewy), don’t smash the cookies with a fork – lightly flatten them with the palm of your hand. I use Jif natural peanut butter in this recipe because it’s really fucking delicious – but if you’re opposed to the company, use a different natural peanut butter. Just make sure it’s smooth and creamy. SERIOUSLY. If you want to replace the shortening with vegan butter, that will work – but the cookies will be a bit more oily. Also, someone try this recipe with salty potato chip crumbs and let me know how it turns out. Or graham crackers. Oh, and to make finely ground pretzel crumbs, simply blend pretzels in a food processor for 1-2 minutes – tada!

1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup sucanat
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 flax egg
2 tbsp non-dairy milk
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup finely ground pretzel crumbs
1/4 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
Coarse sea salt
, for topping

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line two large baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter, sugars, and vanilla extract using a hand mixer on high speed for one minute. Add the flax egg and milk; beat until incorporated. Stir in the salt, baking soda, flour, and pretzel crumbs with a wooden spoon; mix until combined then stir in the chocolate chips.

Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets and flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Chill baking sheets in freezer for at least 15 minutes – this helps the cookies retain their shape, so don’t skip it. Bake at 350˚F for 10-12 minutes (one sheet at a time). Transfer to wire rack to cool then store in an air tight container. Will keep for up to three days.

*Frozen cookies can be stored in the freezer and baked as needed.

Yield: about 30 cookies

• Reply hannah queen | honey & jam April 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM

oh yeah, i’m pretty sure i have everything i need for these in my kitchen. brb, gotta go make some cookies.

• Reply hannah queen | honey & jam April 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM

• Reply Averie @ Averie Cooks April 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Great idea to use pretzel crumbs, not just pretzels! Love the way you think. I’ve done no-bake PB cookies with graham cracker crumbs and they turn out great – I’m sure the baked would be just as good!

• Reply Ashley April 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Dying thinking about the potato chip combination…and graham crackers, which are one of my favorite foods ever. GAH. This recipe has gold dusted all over it. Just like you. xo

• Reply FoodSwoon April 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Pretzel flour?! Genius.

• Reply Sarah April 30, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Oh no you didn’t…make a cookie out of pretzels! Oh YES YOU DID!
    And that’s really cool and amazing, so kudos.

• Reply April 30, 2013 at 1:33 AM

These look ridiculously awesome!

• Reply vanilla bean blog April 30, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Yum! And, I love the quote. Yes, let’s turn it all to gold.

• Reply kankana April 30, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Lovely quote! And these cookies …. whaaa with pretzels ?? I didn’t even know that was possible!

• Reply Hannah April 30, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Genius move.

• Reply Lucy Chapman April 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM

These look incredible and sound right up my street!

Lucy Loves To Cook

• Reply Laura April 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Your justification on using JIF had me at hello. All of my hearts are for you, lady. When life gives you lemons, you paint that shit gooooold.

• Reply Yohann April 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM

This recipe is so inventive!! I am always amazed by the quality of your photos!

• Reply Marie Matter April 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Yep, this is happening. And I like your potato chip suggestion too. Hmmm…

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar April 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

These look daaaang good, friend! Yum!

• Reply Steph April 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

• Reply The Vegan Cookie Fairy April 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Ooooh yum yum yum. Wish I had jar of these right now. Could definitely use them during essay writing time! What a wonderful little anecdote, too. It’s a beautiful thing to have such supporting and loving people in your life.

• Reply Erin Van Genderen April 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM

A beautiful post, as always. I took it upon myself to make these today, totally gluten-free but not at all vegan. Thank you for the inspiration — my version is up on my blog with all the credit given to you for the recipe!

• Reply eatgreatbegreat April 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Totally loving the sound of these cookies! Yum! BTW…your pics are awesome!

• Reply Anonymous April 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM

what is the difference between cane sugar and sucanat(which Ive never heard of) and what is a flax egg? never heard of that either. Im assuming I can use a regular egg?

• Reply Ashlae April 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Sucanat hasn’t had the molasses removed. Not sure about using a regular egg but click the flax egg measurement – it will take you to a recipe.

• Reply Melissa April 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Sounds perfect. I love the idea of cutting the pb cookie with pretzels (because pretzels dipped in pb are the best, so pb baked with pretzels should be the best). Beautiful, as always!

Treats With a Twist

• Reply Jade Sheldon May 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM

In life, things don’t always turn out how we hope, but we definitely have the power within ourselves to turn things around. These cookies sound like heaven… salty, sweet heaven…

• Reply foodfeud May 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Yes please thank you. Chocolate and salt is a winning combo.

• Reply Beth Kirby | {local milk} May 1, 2013 at 5:32 AM

No way! I recently discovered salted caramel pretzel froyo…. this sounds amazing. It’s salty sweet genius.

• Reply Irina @ wandercrush May 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

These photos are absolutely beautiful. Your blog is lovely and very inspiring for me!

• Reply london bakes May 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thank you for sharing those words – so good and true. And a big yes to these cookies.

• Reply Kathryne May 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Those are the sweetest words. Peanut butter cookies with pretzel bits… you’re a genius.

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM

How am I just now discovering this site?! Healthy, quirky, down-to-earth, painstaking-honest, sweets-loving & gluten-free recipes? I feel like I just found the “New Girl” of blogs.

?…I found your site researching gluten-free (relatable) sites.

Where did you turn to with your digestive issues? Any resources you’d recommend?

Amazing site, seriously.

• Reply awesomeon20 May 2, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I love dipping pretzel sticks right in the peanut butter jar. I can’t wait to try these cookies.

• Reply peanutbutterandonion May 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Never thought to add salt to a peanut butter cookie… nice idea

• Reply MadSCAR May 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Iiii this looks amazing! I love it thanks :)

• Reply May 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I love your pictures and recipes. I’d like to inform you of a great new website I would like to invite you to come and join us and share your wonderful pictures with us. We are simply foodies and we are not photography snobs, so picture perfection is not important, all we care about is delicious food.

• Reply Anonymous May 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Aw, this was an ехceptionally niсe рoѕt.
    Ѕpending some tіme and actual effoгt to make a toр nοtсh аrticle…
    but whаt can I saу… I procraѕtinatе a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.

Have a look at my blog post; online reputation repair

• Reply Elenore May 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Oh no you didn’t!

This lady right here is now officialy drooling over her computer.. I am dying for anything salty at the moment.

..and yes! let’s turn everything gold!

• Reply Caty May 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I’m not vegan, but I decided to give these a try just because they look delectable. I substituted coconut oil for shortening and they came out perfectly! Love the salty/sweet combination.

• Reply EMERGENCY: Vegan Salted Chocolate Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies… | Vegan Today May 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

[…] Click here for the recipe.  […]

• Reply World Wide Recipe Box Chocolate | My Recipe Addiction May 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM

[…] cookies combine some of my favorite things, crushed pretzels and chocolate into a cookie. However, the Oh, […]

• Reply Ashlee June 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

• Reply Bon Weekend | We Come From NY June 14, 2013 at 4:06 AM

[…] Salted Chocolate Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies. I can’t wait to make these for the littles! […]

• Reply Melissa December 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM

dear friends – what is sucanat?

• Reply Ashlae December 12, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Whole cane sugar – if you don’t have it, you can substitute brown sugar.

• Reply Salted Chocolate-Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies | hearthomemade January 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM

[…] Salted Chocolate-Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies […]

• Reply Genevieve April 18, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I made these with Earth Balance, and you were right—they’re pretty oily and fairly crumbly. The flavor is great, but the texture is off. Unfortunately, I can’t find ANY non-hydrogenated shortening in my city, so I’ll have to take a stab at this again down the line…thanks!

• Reply Genevieve October 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM

UPDATE: Made these again with non-hydrogenated shortening and crushed kettle chips instead of pretzels—they’re amazing! Texture and flavor are wonderful.I used a little under 1/2 C of crushed chips because they were pretty greasy and I didn’t want to make the cookies overly so…it worked out well.

• Reply ASHLAE W. of OH, LADYCAKES | little small shop February 6, 2015 at 9:59 AM

[…] to make me stop. Stupid? Maybe. Perhaps I should try my hand at from-scratch baking again and give these (eggless!) salted chocolate-pretzel peanut butter cookies a whirl, because with a recipe title […]