Banana and pearl sugar Belgian waffles

Belgian pearl sugar banana waffles

There have been trains. Dozens of them. Overnight trains, long day trains, and underground trains that merely carry me across the city so I can get a cup of good coffee and a big ass salad. Trains with views of the most scenic countrysides, seats that needed recovered yesterday, and people who read literature (!!!) instead of people who stare blankly into their smartphones. These trains are keeping me sane, allowing me to relax and catch a breath of fresh air despite the fact that train air is thick and filled with exhales and perspiration from strangers I’ll never know.

To be honest, the underground trains I could do without. They tend to be overcrowded and stuffy, and after two elbows to the ribcage you start to think that maybe walking three miles across London doesn’t sound so bad, after all. But it’s the long trains that get me excited. The ones that transport my body from one country to another – places I never thought I’d have the opportunity to explore –  and leave me there with no choice but to venture out into the world. For once in my life, I am undeterred by my clammy hands and skepticism surrounding whether or not people actually listen when I say Ich kann nicht essen milchprodukte!

Pearl sugarBelgian pearl sugar banana waffles in the makingBelgian pearl sugar banana waffles

We finally arrived in Paris yesterday afternoon, after spending two days in Belgium. In those two short days we visited eight chocolate shops, and I’m regretting my decision to not bring a pair of pants with a little extra wiggle room. Thom found no shortage of beer or Belgian waffles, but his pants fit just fine. Speaking of that handsome man, I am in love with him like never before. I wake up to his sleepy smile each morning and thank the winds for the unfortunate circumstances that led us to one another almost six years ago. Without him, my life would be filled with a lot less adventure. Without him, I would probably still be searching for happiness in material things and bottles of 99 bananas. He saved me. And sometimes I like to think that maybe I saved him, too. It feels good to be back in Paris together, encompassed by a love much more massive than the one we knew the last time we were here – a love more worn in and comfortable, like your favorite knit sweater.

If you’re into it, we’ve posted trip details + photos from our time spent in England and Scotland over at Well Traveled Couple. Belgium coming soon. Hopefully.

Belgian pearl sugar banana wafflesWafflesBelgian pearl sugar banana waffles with the works

Notes: If you’d prefer to not go the whole banana route, you can substitute applesauce or coconut yogurt. Or just leave it out and add three additional tablespoons of almond milk. I made the waffles sans banana mash and the consistency was pretty much the same. These waffles are meant to be enjoyed as dessert, not breakfast. If you would like to eat them as breakfast, I recommend omitting the sugar pearls because they make for a very sweet waffle. Yeast likes warmth (so does liquid coconut oil) so do NOT use milk straight from the fridge or you’ll run the risk of deactivating the yeast and/or hardening the coconut oil. If you can’t find pearl sugar, you can use coarsely chopped sugar cubes – although I highly recommend trying to get your hands on some Belgian pearl sugar

Also, my cute recipe tester. And  eating donuts two years ago.

BANANA AND PEARL SUGAR BELGIAN WAFFLES

1/2 cup almond milk, warmed
1 cup Belgian pearl sugar

Chocolate hazelnut sauce
3 oz good quality dark chocolate
1 tbsp brown rice syrup
1-2 tbsp hazelnut liqueur

In a small bowl, stir together the water and yeast; sprinkle with a small pinch of sugar and set aside for 10-15 minutes, until foamy. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and cinnamon. When the yeast has proofed, create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the yeast mixture, oil, vanilla extract, mashed banana, and almond milk. Whisk until combined then stir in the pearl sugar, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for two hours. Once it’s chilled, you can either cook the batter immideately or refrigerate it overnight for a more fermented flavor. Waffle batter can be stored in the fridge for up to two days.

To make the chocolate hazelnut sauce, melt the chocolate in a double boiler set over medium-high heat. Once melted, stir in the brown rice syrup and hazelnut liqueur (2 tablespoons for a stronger flavor). Transfer to an air tight container and refrigerate until ready to use. Will keep for up to two weeks.

When you’re ready to cook the waffles, preheat a Belgian waffle iron and spray it with oil. Stir the batter (it shoud be more like dough at this point) and spoon 1/4 heaping cup of batter onto each sections of the iron and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. To keep waffles warm, place them on a baking sheet in a 200˚F oven.

Top waffles with powdered sugar and whipped cream, then drizzle with caramel sauce and chocolate hazelnut sauce. Serve immideately.

Yield: 8-10 waffles

• dixya| food, pleasure, and health July 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM

so glad you guys are having a wonderful time there. I have been craving and eating waffles two mornings on a row. Have a great time.

• Ashley July 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM

You need to visit the “Waffle Lab” food truck in Ft. Collins! They have legit liege waffles and even a gluten-free one with sweet + savory topping options. But I guess why visit the food truck when you can make them in your own home? :) Definitely will be trying a GF version of these at some point! I so enjoyed the little story about your adventures so far and especially the part about you + Thom. What a great adventure you two are on. Enjoy it, girl. See you when you get back. xoxo

• Tieghan July 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM

AMAZING!! You amaze me, these waffles amaze me, your photos amaze me!!

• The Vegan Cookie Fairy July 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Could you make this without yeast? Say, with baking powder?

And I do believe it’s “Ich kann keine milchprodukte essen.”

• Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) July 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

These look spectacular! :) I love pearl sugar, it offers so much texture and appeal!

• Ashley July 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

So loving following along on your journey. Living vicariously through your chocolate shopping and baguette eating. What a trip.

• Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe July 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Pearl sugar belgian waffles are one of my most favorite things ever. Too bad I don’t own a waffle iron – might need to change that immediately. Also, I love the way you speak about Thom. It’s so wonderful to hear about couples so in love and grateful for one another. I look forward to reading more about your travel adventures!

• Evan July 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I can’t wait to try these!
    Got a Belgian waffle maker for Christmas and it’s wonderful to have waffles whenever I want!
    Think you can find pearl sugar at Whole Foods?

• Marie July 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

These look amazing! What waffle iron do you use? I’ve been looking for a square Belgian one forever, and this one looks just the right size for my postage stamp sized apartment!

• Ashlae July 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I can’t remember – if you can’t wait until the middle of November, I’ll tell ya when I get home :)

• Emma Galloway July 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I love reading about your travels, I’ve never been to Europe but find it quite amusing to think you can just catch a train to another country (I’m from a big island you see…). Have fun in Paris! xx

• Kathryn July 20, 2013 at 3:28 AM

I do think that trains are totally the best way to see Europe (apart from maybe the tube…). I can watch the scenery unfold for miles and miles and never get enough of it. Have a wonderful time in Paris xx

• Jenny @ BAKE July 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM

These waffles look beautiful! Paris is such an amazing city I hope you have a fantastic time

• Harriet July 21, 2013 at 3:56 AM

We just got given a waffle maker as a wedding gift, and these are going straight to the top of my waffle list. Your travels look amazing – I’ve been following along on well traveled couple – loving the updates!

• sara forte July 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM

lady! I love these photos. they are so so gorgeous. So impressed that you planned posts ahead of time – I always wish I was organized enough for that. Appreciate the updates on your trip – it’s nice to hear how your heart is taking it all in. Have the greatest time. Love to you both!

• Jade Sheldon-Burnsed July 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM

So happy to hear that despite some elbows to the ribs, you are having such a lovely time! It’s such a blessing to find that one person to share adventures with…

• JAY July 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

You know, waffles never seem to really win me over; but man these look great!

• Sara July 24, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Yum,thank you for this recipe! I am definitely going to try it, I’ve been missing Liège waffles like crazy since going vegan.

• Melissa @ Treats With a Twist July 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Absolutely beautiful: your pictures, the waffles, your gushing unapologetic love for the man by your side. I love it all.

• Foodsworth July 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Was just looking for this recipe! Hopefully it comes out half as good looking as yours did!

• Dawn July 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM

What a gorgeous site you have here. Love all the vegan desserts. Definitely going to give these waffles a go!

• The Internet Kitchen - Eugene! - Macheesmo August 2, 2013 at 4:58 AM

[...] Banana and Pearl Sugar Waffles – Even though they are a bit more work, I usually prefer waffles to pancakes. These look just perfect to me. I love the crags around the edges. (@ Oh Lady Cakes) [...]

• Alice August 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Your description of trains is so perfect. I too absolutely adore train travel, and I’m dying to get the Eurostar to Paris- there’s just something which seems so romantic about it. It also sounds like you have such a wonderful relationship- I definitely think couples (the best sort, anyway) really grow into each other, and it’s amazing that you still love each other so much.

Finally, these waffles look oh-my-god-ridiculous. Why oh why do I not have a waffle iron?! xx

• Sugar & Company | on.my.yellow.plate August 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM

[…] WAFFLE WITH PEARL SUGAR (adapted from Oh Lady Cakes) makes about 20+ small […]

• Erin September 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM

These look absolutely delicious! Just put them on my list of things to make this weekend!

xx Erin

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Now this is a breakfast I can definitely get onboard with!

• Sonntagsbrunch | Kleidermädchen - das Blog für Mode, Beauty und Lifestyle November 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

[…] habe ich ein köstlich-süßes Rezept für Belgischen Waffeln. Wo? Bei Ashlae auf ihrem Blog: Oh Ladycakes. Die Waffeln sind für mich die perfekte Beilage zu Milchkaffee und einem Kaffeekränzchen in […]

• Jessica January 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Will there be much of a difference if I use all purpose flour instead of spelt?

• Ashlae January 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Hi Jessica –

There shouldn’t be much of one at all. Enjoy!