Banoffee pie

Banoffee pie

Well, we made it. And we’ve got two good hikes under our belts (proof) (double proof) and bellies filled with some of our favorite European eats. Like crispy M&M’s and British cask ales (him), and Seed & Bean sea salt dark chocolate and cocoa orange Nakd bars (her). The cool, foggy mornings have been a nice change of pace from the blazing temperatures we had in Denver, but I’d be lying if I said I’m not having Illegal Pete’s withdrawals. Especially after spending the equivalent of 18 American dollars on two bland ass tacos from what was supposed to be some of the best Mexican food in Edinburgh.

Overpriced tacos aside, the trip has been a wildly enjoyable adventure so far, and we’re not even two weeks deep. There’s so much I want to write about – so much I have written about, but I need some time to sort it through. Time to collect my thoughts and clean up grammatical errors and run on sentences and all of those other things I forget to keep in check when I’m pouring the unorganized contents of my brain into Microsoft Word. We’ve got a handful of days left in the UK before we catch the chunnel to Belgium, where I plan on exhausting all efforts in attempts to eat my weight in Belgian dark chocolate. From there we head to Paris for a week full of space invader spotting, fancy art, and – you guessed it – more chocolate. I’m really looking forward to getting back to the place that ignited my love for travel, and to see the City of Light in all its summer glory. Because I’ve heard it’s pretty great.

For now, I’ve got real deal banoffee pie. (And soon: banana and pearl sugar Belgian waffles.)

Digestive biscuitsBiscuit crumbsDulce de leche in the makingBananas + dulce de lecheShaved chocolateDigestive biscuit pie crustBanoffee pie in the makingCoconut whipped creamBanoffee pie

Notes: If you can’t find vegan digestives (I wound up having to go to a specialty grocery in town) use some plain graham crackers or speculoos cookies (gluten free, if you desire). Or use this recipe for pâte brisée. If you don’t have muscovado sugar, you may substitute sucanat or brown sugar – but I highly recommend trying to get your hands on muscovado sugar because the molasses content is much higher than other brown sugars. I tried this recipe with vegan butter and coconut oil, and the crust was way too oily and crumbly. If you’d prefer to use one of the two, I suggest pressing the dough into mason jars, or something that doesn’t require you to remove it from a large mold. I’ve made them in individual tartlet pans and they came out perfect. Do as you please!

BANOFEE PIE

Dulce de leche
1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
1/2 cup muscovado sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of fine sea salt

Crust
18 digestive biscuits (250g)
6 tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening

Topping
2-3 ripe bananas
Coconut whipped cream
Good quality dark chocolate

Prepare the dulce de leche by removing the coconut milk fat from the can of coconut milk and placing it in a medium sized saucepan set over medium-high heat. Reduce to liquid then stir in the muscovado sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil then set your timer to 10 minutes; stir every few minutes. Once the timer goes off, whisk the mixture for 2-3 minutes, until it’s nice and thick. Let cool for 30 minutes then transfer to a glass jar and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Preheat oven to 325˚F. Line the bottom of an 8″ removable tart pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with oil; set aside. In a food processor fitted with the S blade, blend the digestives into a fine meal. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Press the mixture into the prepared tart pan and freeze for 10 minutes. Bake at 325˚F for 8-10 minutes then allow the crust to cool on a wire rack for at least one hour. Do not remove it from the mold – it will crumble if it’s still hot.

An hour or two before you’re ready to serve the pie, remove it from the tart mold and add the sliced bananas and dulce de leche, then chill for at least one hour. Just before serving, top with coconut whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Pie will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days. If using not-so-ripe bananas, you may get an extra day or two.

Yield: 8-12 slices

• Eileen July 9, 2013 at 10:33 am

Insane! Thank you for sharing!

• Megan July 9, 2013 at 10:39 am

Not only does this look SUPER tasty, the photos are beautiful! I love the detail shots of the chocolate and cookies.

• batya July 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

this looks amazing! thanks for sharing! enjoy those adventures…traveling is one of the best treats in life (along with banoffee pie :)

• Heather July 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

This banoffee pie you speak of – looks incredible. This is the first time I am hearing about such a dessert, probably because I am a chocolate/cheesecake girl, never veering to far from the norm. So excited about your travels. I am living vicariously through your words and photos.
    Hugs,
    Heather

• Jade Sheldon July 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

Oh, I absolutely can’t wait to hear even more about your travels!

• Katy @ Katy's Kitchen July 9, 2013 at 11:25 am

I had banoffee pie for the first time in England. I’m Canadian so it’s not a treat many people have here. I was blown away how something so simple could taste so marvelous. That was almost two years ago now and I haven’t tried to make it since because of all the dairy involved. I’d love to try your version, it looks absolutely wonderful. Have fun in Edinburgh!

• Mimi July 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I resisted banoffee pie for years, but I finally just had it in Dublin. Yours looks even better!

• Shannon July 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I really love digestive biscuits. I remember seeing them for the first time in Greece, and falling in love. I am sure they make a terrific pie shell!

• Sarah | The Sugar Hit July 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Ohhhhh baby, this is one of those times when vegan does not mean anything but deliciousness! Can’t wait to hear more about the trip!

• Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch July 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Beautiful…Delicious…Decadent…All words to describe this amazing pie that must find me very soon!!!

• Suzanne July 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm

This reminds me of a dessert my Mom used to make; I’ll have to try it!

• Tieghan July 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Gorgeous!! I love bananas and this pie is calling my name!

• Ashley July 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Ooh yah! Love hearing some details from the trip. And this pie? Whaaaat!? I never even knew this kind of pie existed. Pretty much the pie of my dreams because I am not a hot-fruit-pie person. Current need: jar of dulche de leche + 1 spoon

• thelittleloaf July 9, 2013 at 11:43 pm

This looks like a seriously delicious banoffee pie – love the coconut dulce de leche part. Have you ever tried making your own digestives? They’re really easy, very delicious and you can control exactly what goes into them.

• Ashlae July 9, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I have (with success), but it’s a bit more work and I wante to keep things simple-ish.

• Harriet July 10, 2013 at 2:40 am

Holy wow! I’m so jealous of your travels & photos. Belgian (and French) chocolate for the win! And this Banoffee pie – I don’t need anymore endorsement than these photos – love the simple base. Can’t wait for more travel notes!

• Hungry for Linkage: Golden Corral Video is "Disgusting" + A Week in the Life of Dominique Ansel + Chicago Restaurant Manager Steals Identities to Go to Disney July 10, 2013 at 7:09 am

[...] summer. It’s hot. ‘Tis the season for icebox desserts, like banoffee pie. [Oh, [...]

• Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} July 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Wow, this looks incredible. The photography is amazing (as always) but the pie? Perfect for me. I am not a fan of cake or frosting. Pie is my thing. This pie in particular. Banoffee pie for the win!

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Way too pretty to dig in!! But it can’t stop me :D

• Abby July 11, 2013 at 9:40 pm

this is utterly perfect. the recipe, the photographs… oh my goodness. you are INSANELY talented! love it!!
    oh, and your travel adventures – just awesome. can’t wait to hear more! :)

• Clotilde July 12, 2013 at 4:29 am

Your trip sounds amazing! Keep living the dream. Thanks for sharing your adventures! This looks great!

• Christine July 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

Awesome! Looks delicious. This makes me curious: How do you find the equipment, space, and time to bake while you’re backpacking overseas?

• Ashlae July 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I lined up posts before we fled the States ;)

• Links That Light Us Up — Women On Fire July 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

[...] Best Sweet Treat- OH MY that’s one serious looking Pie. Thank you Oh Lady Cakes for setting the baking bar yet again with this Banoffee Pie  [...]

• momoiro-chan July 19, 2013 at 4:43 am

I never tried a Banofee Pie, but I love all of the ingredients, so I am sure it tastes deilicious. It sure looks amazingly good and tempting! :)

• Southern Spoon Belle July 19, 2013 at 5:52 am

Banoffee Pie is seriously underrated. Thanks for the gorgeous recipe. Hope y’all enjoyed the rest of your time in the UK and are soaking up continental Europe.

• Alanna {The Bojon Gourmet} July 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm

How perfect is this tart? I love that it’s vegan – that coconut-based toffee is pure genius. I’m a sucker for digestive biscuits – the crust looks beautiful. I never got the banoffee thing when I was in England – now I’m very sorry I never tried it! I’m all over this recipe, though. Love the photos. Glad you’re having such a fantastic trip. :)

• The Food Scout July 23, 2013 at 6:53 am

I love how you take your photos! Inspiring :)

• emma August 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I am not a vegan, but I cook regularly for my son who had massive food allergies to all dairy and egg – so I am becoming an adventurous vegan baker – and I am a dedicated reader and sampler of the recipes on your blog – it’s always a visual feast!

I have read several times on your blog about whipping up refrigerated coconut milk – now we have tried with 6 brands with no success – can you tell me which brand you used here in the UK -( i think the ones I’ve used have some type of preservative added to stop the liquid and cream separating).
    much appreciated,
    Em.

• Wendy March 24, 2014 at 5:29 am

Emma have you a Lidl close by? They sell a coconut milk that separates like this and will whip up beautifully (use just the solid part, disgard the liquid, 1/4 of the tin). It is sold mainly around Chinese New Year so I stcok up on it.

• Garlic upon garlic | Fig Lane September 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

[…] to thicken a little. It was just thick enough to make a runny caramel sauce and I based it on this recipe here but added a little more salt. I have made Oh, Ladycakes Banoffee pie before and the thick […]

• anandita October 2, 2013 at 3:54 am

this looks great, but digestives are not vegan!

• Ashlae October 2, 2013 at 11:51 am

They’re not? Damn. I was certain the fact that the label didn’t contain any animal derived ingredients meant they were vegan. Wait a minute…

• Wendy March 24, 2014 at 5:56 am

In the UK the Co-op store sells digestives that are accidently vegan

• Wendy March 24, 2014 at 5:57 am

I love your recipe and beautiful photographs I am going to try this, thank you.

• Jabe April 15, 2014 at 1:17 am

Hi there! Your blog is lovely. I cook at a cafe and we have a few vegan customers who I promised I’d make a vegan cake for once a week. Just a quick question, what do you use for your non-hydrogenated shortening? I’m from Australia and I don’t commonly come across recipes with shortening in them. Could I use coconut oil do you think? Or could you suggest something that would be better? HELP :s

• Ashlae April 15, 2014 at 7:03 am

Hi Jabe –

Unfortunately in this recipe, the shortening is crucial – if you use coconut oil or vegan butter, the crust gets incredibly oily and is difficult to handle. As for cakes, I’m a big fan of this one. :)

• Jabe April 15, 2014 at 1:21 am

P.s. Cheeky I know, but what would you consider your ultimate, ultimate go to vegan cake? I want something that makes even the non-vegan customers go crrraayyyyzzeeee!