How to make almondmilk caramel sauce

Almondmilk caramel sauce

After 11 months of making dead end promises to you guys via email, it’s finally here: ALMONDMILK CARAMEL SAUCE.

This is kind of big news because it means we no longer have to waste $2-3 on inconsistent cans of coconut milk. It’s also big news because this stuff tastes so much more like the real thing and, admittedly, kicks my coconut milk variety to the curb. Although there are times when I really enjoy the coconut undertones of coconut milk caramel sauce, for an everyday application I’d prefer something that tastes a bit more like the stuff that’s made with heavy cream, and that’s where almondmilk comes in. Califia Farms almondmilk, to be exact. Chances are you’ve seen their almondmilk (and cold brew coffee! and citrus juices!) at your local Whole Foods or natural grocery store. Or maybe not because damn near every time I go to Whole Foods they’re sold out. But next time you’re there, keep your eyes peeled for the good stuff that comes in the shapely bottles with the hella sleek design – because yes, it tastes just as delicious as it looks.

So delicious that Thom – who has never been the kind of guy to relax with a glass of anything that isn’t water or beer – regularly pours himself a generous portion of the toasted coconut stuff. I’ve always thought it was strange until I was eating chocolate and dried apricots out of the fridge the other day and thought I should probably stop hating on his new almondmilk habit and give it a go. So I screwed off the cap and took a heavy straight-from-the-carton swig of it. And now I’m an almondmilk drinker, too.

But enough about the almondmilk – how about some real deal caramel?

Calfia Farms AlmondmilkHomemade brown sugarAlmondmilk caramel sauce in the makingAlmondmilk caramel sauce

Notes: For this recipe I used Califia’s unsweetened almondmilk, but I’ve also made it with their toasted coconut version and it turned out just the same. I know the addition of brown rice syrup and cream of tartar is annoying, but they’re crucial components of this caramel sauce as both are necessary to prevent crystallization – so don’t leave them out. Seriously, don’t. If you can’t get your hands on brown rice syrup you could use corn syrup (not high fructose) but make sure it’s non-GMO because genetically modified foods are bad news, y’all. If you don’t have cream of tartar, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice will work in a pinch. Also, it’s important that you don’t mix the sauce more times than specified in the instructions or else you may interrupt the caramelization process.

Update: A number of you have emailed asking if there’s any way around the rice syrup and cream of tartar. For long term storage, no. But if you plan on eating the caramel immediately, yes. Without the rice syrup and acid, the sauce will crystallize within a day.

This post is sponsored by Califia Farms. All opinions are my own, and I think Califia rules.

ALMONDMILK CARAMEL SAUCE

1 cup Califia Farms unsweetened almondmilk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cane sugar
1 tbsp brown rice syrup
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugars, brown rice syrup, and cream of tartar; stir with a silicone spatula (or any silicone device capable of such a task) then let the mixture cook for 25 minutes, without stirring. While cooking, it should boil as shown in the photo above. If it’s not boiling after five minutes on the stove, increase your heat just a bit. After 25 minutes, give it a good stir with the spatula then remove from heat if you prefer caramel sauce that’s thick but pourable from the fridge. If you’d prefer something that needs to be warmed (in a hot water bath) before pouring, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Pour caramel sauce through a sieve and into a glass jar then seal with a lid (do not let it cool without a lid, as you may get a thick layer of hardened caramel on top). Refrigerate for at least four hours; sauce will thicken as it cools. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Yield: about 1/2 cup caramel sauce

• Belinda@themoonblushbaker February 4, 2014 at 7:30 AM

This is the best thing since salt on caramel! I was looking for non dairy alternative to caramel!
    I could not thank you enough for this recipe and I am thinking about the other nut milks you could use this with.

• Emma Galloway February 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Oh yes, you are the caramel queen! Yum. xx

• Ashley February 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM

THIS is INSANE. I can’t believe how simple your instructions are. I remember searching for caramel recipes when I was writing the doughnut book and OH MY god there are way too many variations with way too many directions. This definitely looks more my speed and caramel is pretty much my favorite sweet thing ever. We tried one of the Califia coffee drinks and it was superb. Not too sweet or milky, so good. Well done, lady!

• Scully February 4, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Womp womp, sneaky carrageenan in the ingredients list (and “natural flavors” HA!). Sigh. And my search continues.

This sauce looks gorgeous, tho. :)

• Jessica February 4, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Wow! I can’t believe how beautiful the almond milk packaging is. The sauce looks divine, as well. I wouldn’t mind waking up to this in the morning!

• Katie @ Veggie and the Beast February 4, 2014 at 8:42 AM

The caramel looks amazing! I just bought my first jug of Califia Farms Almondmilk this weekend. I’ve become obsessed with how the vanilla variety tastes in my coffee and chai tea. Seriously so much better than any other brand I’ve tried.

• Raquel February 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Hi! Just wondering if another type of almond milk could work with this recipe if I can’t find the Califia Farms one. I regularly use the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla one and the Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Vanilla one.

• Ashlae February 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Hi Raquel –

I’m not sure because I haven’t tried it. Califia almondmilks are much creamier than other nut milk varieties, so the caramel sauce may not thicken the same. But I’m sure it would still be delicious. Let me know how it turns out!

• Kimberly February 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Non dairy caramel….O…M…yes.

• Alli February 4, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Any suggestions instead of corn or brown rice syrup? My husband can’t do ANY grains due to dietary intolerances. This looks AMAZING and I would love to try it (we are huge Califia fans!) but just need something to sub for that pesky grain syrup!

• Ashlae February 4, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Hi Alli –

Unfortunately I don’t know any alternatives, but you could try adding an additional 2 tablespoons of cane sugar in place of the syrup and increasing the cream of tartar to 1/4 teaspoon. You’ll also want to cook the caramel at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. Let me know how it turns out if you give it a go!

• Maria sobolewski February 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Dark brown sugar has more molasses and so doesn’t need any other syrup or even tartaric acid to stop crystallization. Or add molasses (treacle, golden syrup or liquid glucose) to sugar. I make a gooey toffee just with “dark brown sugar” and some water. A more creamy caramel can be made with addition of almond butter (or peanut, etc) and water if no almond milk available. This is very forgiving of heat and liquid variations to make sauce, fudge, toffee, etc. Yumm.

• Maria sobolewski February 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM

If you do have unwelcome crystallization, adding some acid such as cider vinegar or citrus juice, (or citric or tartaric acid), and gently reheating can resurrect the smooth texture, if you do not have extra glucose syrup or molasses (or agave, brown rice). Some info on sugar confectionery is here http://www.fao.org/WAIRdocs/x5434e/x5434e0a.htm and here http://www.food-info.net/uk/colour/caramel.htm to help with temps and percentages.

• Melanie September 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Would real 100% maple syrup be considered vegan? Along with , could it replace the brown rice syrup?

Thanks!

• Ashlae September 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Hi Melanie –

Of course! And unfortunately it cannot. But you could use corn syrup (just not the high fructose variety).

• Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe February 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I love how easy this caramel sauce is! I don’t think I will be able to find Califia almondmilk here, but I might have to give the recipe a go with the options that I do have available to me.

• Stefanie February 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

So smart! Pinning this one to keep on file next time I want to make something fancy!

• Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa February 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

this is such a clever idea! Looks incredible too! I’m a huge caramel fan and I have all these ingredients on hand so I will definitely be giving it a try! Thanks for sharing :)

• Melissa @ Treats With a Twist February 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Califia is seriously the only Almond Milk I buy now. I make my own, but when almonds get too pricey (ah hem, now) I buy this stuff like crazy! It’s seriously the best! I’ve never loved a milk so much! Can’t wait to try your caramel :)

• Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 4, 2014 at 2:11 PM

This sauce is awesome – I love the dark colour of it and can’t wait to try!

• Katie @ 24 Carrot Life February 4, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Wow! I would have never thought almond milk could do this. I can’t wait to try! My boyfriend has a serious caramel addiction so this is going to be great.

• Jaimie February 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Beautiful!! But tell me more about your jar. I have an unhealthy obsession with glass jars.

• Ashlae February 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Hi Jaime –

ME TOO. It’s a recycled Crofter’s jam jar!

• Loretta February 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Gorgeous! Gotta love that rich golden color!

• Alexis February 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I’ve been curious about that almond milk for weeks but haven’t bought it because it costs a bit more than Whole Foods brand. Now that I know you give it the thumbs up, I’ll be grabbing a bottle or two on my grocery haul later this week. Hopefully some brown rice syrup, too :-) The caramel looks delicious.

• alexandra February 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Oh, I am SO very excited about this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Kathryn February 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Oh look at you with all of your caramel-amazingness! I want to slather this on everything.

• Oh, Ladycakes: Califia Almondmilk Caramel Sauce | Califia Farms February 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM

[…] for months and our very own Unsweetened Almondmilk makes its stylish debut in this one-of-a-kind Almondmilk Caramel Sauce recipe. No dairy, no cream… just Almondmilk and a little bit of kitchen […]

• Corinne February 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

This is amazing. I tried two different caramel sauces when I was making girlscout cookies for my (mostly) vegan cannabis baking cookbook and the first one was downright dangerous. This looks much more simple and the texture looks amazing. Thanks for the share!

• Samina | The Cupcake Confession February 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

This looks incredible and so much healthier compared to the heavy cream caramel sauce! These will also make for cute gifting options! Delicious! :)

• Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is February 8, 2014 at 6:08 AM

[…] almond milk caramel sauce. so making it […]

• ATasteOfMadness February 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I have always wanted to make my own caramel sauce. This looks divine!

• Raquel February 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

So I made this last night and, while it turned out okay, I feel like the instructions could have been a bit more precise. “Medium heat” is a bit ambiguous, because I’ve had stoves that are very hot at medium and some that are very cool at medium – which are we looking for? While cooking for 25 minutes, should it be simmering? boiling? not breaking the surface at all? Should we be stirring at all during the cook time?

After the initial 25 minutes at medium where it was not simmering at all, it was still very very thin and not at all like caramel. So, I turned the heat up until it was boiling rather quickly and kept it from overflowing by stirring the bubbles down with a silicone spatula. After about 30 minutes of this it had thickened enough, but is still a bit thin for my liking. I think I’d cook it another 5-10 minutes or so to get it really thick. The taste, however, is amazing, and I will make this again. I think it would definitely work with any creamy almond milk.

• Ashlae February 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Hi Raquel –

Sorry for the confusion! Medium heat refers to the middle setting on your stove – mine is numbered from 1-9 so I put it at 5. At medium heat the caramel should boil and look like the bubbly photo posted above (I’ll add that to the instructions). The notes prior to the recipe state not to stir more than indicated in the recipe. After 25 minutes the caramel sauce is going to still be really thin, but will thicken considerably as it cools.

• Jessica February 11, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Hi Ashlae,
    This sauce looks marvelous and easy too! I have yet to try your coconut variety but this is definitely calling my name… Is it possible to use agave nectar to replace the brown rice syrup? I think corn syrup and agave are pretty similar in qualities but I would appreciate you input. Thanks! :)

• Ashlae February 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Hi Jessica –

Unfortunately I don’t think agave nectar would be a good substitute for the brown rice syrup. However, you could omit the rice syrup and replace the sugar with 1/2 cup of agave and try that method out instead. You’ll probably have to cook it for about 10 minutes longer. If you give it a go, let me know how it turns out. :)

• Carole @CaroleBee FoodandPhoto February 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Yummmmm!!! This looks amazing!! Unfortunately I don’t have this brand of almond milk near me. Would another brand be suitable?

• Ashlae February 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Hi Carole –

Absolutely! Enjoy.

• Jenny @ BAKE February 19, 2014 at 6:51 AM

I’m a recent almond milk convert too, I can’t wait to try this recipe

• lyna March 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM

not sure what happened! i tried this recipe except used pacific almond milk (unsweetened), lemon juice instead of cream of tartar, and used everything else like you had mentioned. made sure not to stir at all during the boiling process, i poured the caramel through a fine mesh sieve- i did use the spatula to press it through the sieve (is that the mistake)? as soon as it hit the glass jar i was trying to pour it into, the caramel was hard almost like candy. caramel fail!! :-(

• Ashlae March 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Hi Lyna –

What a bummer! But there’s a chance your stovetop may cook hotter than mine – if you try it again, try turning down the heat. Also, don’t press the caramel as you’re passing it through the sieve. It’ll catch any of the clumps/hard gunk that didn’t break up properly while cooking.

• Evelyn March 16, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Hi!
    I was wondering what i can use instead of brown rice syrup?

• Ashlae March 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Hi Evelyn –

Corn syrup would work!

• Lauryn April 27, 2014 at 7:04 AM

This looks amazing! I wonder if I could replace the brown and cane sugars with coconut sugar?
    Will try and let you know how it works out!

• Mandy June 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM

This looks amazing. How long would you guess this would last in the fridge?

• Mandy June 21, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Derp. I found my answer in the post :)

• Tegan June 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Thank you for this! I really want to make and ship this as a gift to a caramel loving friend. Any idea on how to make this ‘shelf stable’? Thank you for your response.

• Ashlae June 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Hi Tegan –

I don’t have a clue. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

• Happy Friday | July 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM

[…] I’ll top the ice cream with this […]

• Mary July 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM

It was going well for about 10 minutes, maybe more, and it smelled delicious, boiling on medium high and looking just like the photo. Then it smelled different and got darker and I realized it was burning. I removed it from the heat and tried pouring it through a sieve. Too thick. I poured it directly into the jar. Then what was left up the side of the pan turned rock hard. I used A LOT of hot water cleaning up the pan and utensils. Wonder what I did wrong. Well, I guess I’ll leave caramel-making to the professionals.

• Ashlae July 30, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Hi Mary –

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that. It could be that, perhaps, your stove cooks at a higher temperature when set to medium-high. If you try it again, try sticking on medium. When the caramel coats the back of the spoon, it’s ready to be removed from the heat.

I will also be remaking this to take the temperature of the caramel to let everyone know the maximum temperature the caramel can withstand.

• Vegan Brownies with Almond Milk Caramel | Tesserct Of Treats August 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM

[…] adapted from Oh, Ladycakes  […]

• Megan August 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Just made this and it turned out really well! I used Pacific unsweetened organic almond milk and cooked it for about 26 minutes. I had my candy thermometer clipped to my pan since I was curious what the heat would be (since ‘true’ caramel is heated on high to between 320-340F). My sauce heated away for a while around 175 and gradually went up to about 225F.

I did the spoon test with a wooden spoon around 25 min and the back was coated beautifully so I promptly removed it, ran through a seive (it goes through easily) and now it’s cooling. Tastes great, thanks!

• Caramel Apple Cider (v, gf) September 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM

[…] caramel was going to be a necessity with the cider, so I whipped up a quick batch of Ashlae’s Almond Milk Caramel Sauce while the cider cooked. I know, it seems so difficult and scary to make the caramel, but if you […]