Summer fruit pecan crisp

Summer fruit pecan crisp

I spent the last night of astronomical spring in bed with a big bowl ice cream and the Grand Budapest Hotel, which is probably the only perk of Thom working late. Just as I always do, I fell asleep mid-film but was startled awake by gunfire (in the movie, thankfully) that was accompanied by the scent of petrichor being spun around the room by our ceiling fan. It rained. I paused the movie because I had a very unexpected and insatiable urge to run. Sometimes that happens (usually after a good rain) and I don’t fight it because WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT? So I threw on a tank top and those funny shoes with the toes (don’t worry, I was already wearing shorts), and headed out the door just a few minutes shy of 10PM. I ran on the gravel trail, hardly finding my way with my eyes but it didn’t matter because my feet know it by now.

DETOUR: Muscle memory is a funny thing, and something I very much appreciate when I find myself wandering home from the bar in the night.

I ran three laps around the park, which made seven laps for the day which made too many fucking laps and so I went home and ate more ice cream then took a shower and thought about reading the book Thom got in the mail the other day. It’s about child soldiering and appears to be the kind of thing you would read if you wanted to feel miserable about humankind and our inability to take proper measures to protect the small, mostly defenseless, people on this planet. I picked it up, looked over the cover, and then fell face first into bed – hair still wet and in my bathrobe – and woke the next morning, just before the sun, and went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of something caffeinated. I retrieved the book I had left face down on the coffee table and 16 pages in I had to throw in the towel because my mind wasn’t in the place to endure literature on the Rwandan genocide at such an hour. Not with the birds chirping. Not with the morning breeze drifting over the back of my left shoulder. And sure as hell not with the photo of that decaying flower sitting so perfectly at the edge of my peripheral vision.

It’s my favorite photo from the trip, this photo of a passing flower I caught at the Royal Botanical Garden in Madrid. It was surrounded by a mass of vibrant, perfectly bloomed, immaculate flowers but it was the only one that caught my attention and held it for longer than is probably appropriate to stare at something that’s bidding farewell to our glorious planet. It’s petals were stringy and wrinkled, inconsistently colored and tangled in one another and splitting at the ends. But my god, it was so extraordinarily striking that I thought about picking it and preserving it and putting it up on display when we got home. And so I did, but with my camera. So now, each time I see it sitting on the bookshelf looking droopy and lifeless (but stunning) as ever, it reminds me to be a seeker of the light. Even when seven laps around the park doesn’t lead to inner peace or emotional homeostasis; even when your faith in humanity is fractured in just 16 pages of Times New Roman – it is your moral imperative to continue fighting the good fight and to choose to be a glass half-full instead of one that’s half-empty. And when all else fails – when you don’t think you can muster up even another ounce of optimism – sit on the kitchen floor with that pan of leftover summer fruit crisp and I’m fairly certain your perspective will start to shift. Eventually you’ll have the courage to pick up that book and read it without feeling too remorseful because yes, the world is incredibly fucked and twisted, but it’s also massively, overwhelmingly, and jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Glass half-full, remember? Happiest summer, folks.

StrawberriesSummer fruitsSummer fruitsSummer fruitsStrawberries and pecansChopped pecansPecan crumb toppingSummer fruit pecan crispSummer fruit pecan crispSummer fruit pecan crispSummer fruit pecan crisp with coconut whipped cream

Notes: This is not your typical fruit crisp as the filling lacks starch and massive amounts of sugar. It does not, however, lack flavor. But if you’d prefer a traditional crisp with overly sweet and gooey innards, increase the sugar to 1/4 cup (or 1/2 if you’d prefer it super sweet) and mix 1 tablespoon of potato starch with the sugar before adding it to the fruit. Similarly, if your selection of fruit is super juicy, mix 1 tablespoon of starch with the sugar before tossing it with the fruit. If you don’t have the assortment of fruits I used below, feel free to use whatever you have on hand. I made this in an oversized loaf pan, but it will bake just as well in an 8-9″ metal pan or cast iron skillet. If you’re looking for a gluten free option, simply replace the flour with 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten free flour mix. The pecans in this recipe replace the oats that are present in a traditional crisp – so if you’re allergic to nuts or just don’t care for them, substitute an equal amount of rolled oats.

SUMMER FRUIT PECAN CRISP

1 cup unbleached flour
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped

To serve
Coconut whipped cream
Chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350˚F and lightly grease a 9×5″ loaf pan. Add strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and nectarines to the pan. Combine the sucanat and vanilla bean seeds in a small bowl then toss with fruit; set aside.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut oil and almond milk, and cook just until the coconut oil has melted and the mixture is fairly warm; set aside to cool for a few minutes. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars, flour, and salt. Drizzle half of the oil mixture over the flour mixture then use a wooden spoon (or your fingers) to combine. Add the remaining oil and continue mixing until the mixture resembles coarse meal with a few larger crumbs. Stir in the pecans then spread over fruit base. Bake at 350˚F for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes, then serve with a side of coconut whipped cream and pecans. Crisp can be kept covered and refrigerated for up to thee days. Reheat in oven as needed, but I recommend scooping it into ramekins or small bowls instead of reheating the whole dish (unless you plan on consuming the entire thing).

Yield: 6-8 servings

• Wendy @ Moral Fibres June 23, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Oh, going to be giving this a go – it looks delicious! And your photos are stunning as always! Just one thing, I live in the UK (Edinburgh!) and haven’t heard of sucanat. Can I replace it with ordinary sugar, like for like?

• Ashlae June 23, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Hi Wendy –

You can replace the sucanat with brown sugar, muscovado sugar, etc. :) Regular sugar would work, too!

• Raquel @ My California Roots June 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Really beautiful words you’ve put down today. I really struggle in finding the beauty and humbleness in life when distracted by the baseness that humanity often displays.. thanks for the inspiration to try harder. Also, this fruit crisp – it looks just divine. I love how it really celebrates the ingredients, instead of hiding them with sugar. XO

• Medha @ Whisk & Shout June 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Really love your post today, as well as the gorgeous recipe. Pecans are my favorite, I’m so excited to try this!

• nora&laura June 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM

looks SO good!!WOW!
    x
    laura&nora

• J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats June 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I like my crisps sans starch as well. I think its nice to have bubbly liquid-y bursts of fruit instead of a semi-solid mass of fruit gel. It reminds me too much of the super sweet fruit-flavored toothpastes I used as a kid. Not sure how those could do little teeth any good when they essentially tasted like melted Jolly Ranchers.

• Melissa @ Treats With a Twist June 23, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I LOVE a good crisp. I just bough a ton of cherries and blueberries and was thinking of doing the same thing. A couple months ago I made a strawberry crisp and I thickened it by heating the strawberries until they sweat and then I stirred in some chia seeds (just a tsp…enough to thicken but not enough to know they’re there). It totally worked! So, yeah, crisp + ice cream = heaven.
    I need to see that movie

• cynthia | two red bowls June 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM

This story, these words, and this crisp are my everything. Thanks so much for such a vivid and wonderful glimpse into a day in your life — in addition to being incredibly lovely, I’m hoping it’ll also galvanize me into running. (Pipe dream. It is, however, much more likely to get me to make this delicious crisp, which I am more than okay with as a substitute.)

• Jenny Stockton June 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Favorite sentence: “Eventually you’ll have the courage to pick up that book and read it without feeling too remorseful because yes, the world is incredibly fucked and twisted, but it’s also massively, overwhelmingly, and jaw-droppingly beautiful.” Nice work, lady!

• Katie @ Produce on Parade June 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I can definitely relate! At times, it can be overwhelmingly difficult to find the beauty in everyday life…but when you least expect it, the world turns around and smiles and you see it.

• The Vegan Cookie Fairy June 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Love this :) Your writing is just perfect.

• Maja June 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Happy summer lovely lady! Also, that fruit looks insanely delicious cut up like that…

• Joyti June 23, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Thank you Ashlae, for your beautiful words and photos. And yes, the world is “massively, overwhelmingly, and jaw-droppingly beautiful”. Sometimes we need to reminded of that.

And the crumble looks gorgeous, lady!

• Claudia June 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Hi Ashlae! I’ve been reading your blog for some time now and am only now commenting on how much I enjoy the honesty in your writing. Honesty is something that can brutally tough, but at the same time beautiful. Thanks for creating a space that celebrates beauty in all its forms. Keep on keepin’ on.

• Alice O. June 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Your recipes and photos are always drool worthy, but the truth is I come here for your words. No one can drop a F bomb quite like you, woman. Thank you for being genuine, honest and relatable.

• Grace June 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Love everything about this post and it was exactly what I needed to read today. Thank you for the beauty and grace in your viewpoint and the incredible way you’re able to put that into words. I could use some berry crisp and a lap or seven around the park myself.

• Millie |Add A Little June 24, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Loved this post Ashlae! The styling and photography is seriously on point!
    Great post!

• Kathryn June 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM

Happy happy summer Ashlae. I love (and can definitely lean from) your ability to see beauty + life + good things in the world. And to make awesome jammy, fruity, summery desserts like this.

• Allison June 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM

What a fabulous essay! Suspense, drama, and dessert -Everything I like in a good blog post!

• Leah June 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Beautifully written post and gorgeous recipe. Thank you for the nut free suggestion, as we have a nut free house!

• Ana June 26, 2014 at 4:35 AM

This looks soooo pretty. And who needs excess sugar? Ripe fruit is super sweet enough!

• erika June 27, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Your writing is just jaw-banging and a fresh breath, every time. Such a fan of you! And this crisp.

• Week 26… | Cookingdom June 28, 2014 at 4:21 AM

[…] een crumble, deze keer met gemengd fruit en […]

• Lindsay June 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM

This dish looks amazing! I want to reach into the computer screen and grab some!

• Ashley June 30, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Needed this post today. Thanks, lady. See you soon. :)

• Barb@ThatWasVegan? June 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Ohhhh that fruit looks just amazing! Beautiful pictures!!

• Kait June 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Just catching up on my blogs and I know today was the perfect time for me to read this. As my heart breaks over recent events, it was wonderful to be reminded that amidst the shit and unfairness and inequality, there are some moments of beauty, if only the ones we create in our kitchens. Thank you.

• Gluten-Free Berry Peach Cobbler | The Sunday Table July 2, 2014 at 3:03 AM

[…] and number of times I’d eaten with dinner still to be had. I needed a moment. I paused to read this and listen to this and to feed myself with what little food I had left in my fridge as I remembered […]

• spotlight | This is for Real July 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM

[…] summer fruit pecan crisp, as if you need another excuse to eat all of the delicious summer fruits […]

• Best of the Web: Summer Fruit Desserts | Williams-Sonoma Taste July 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM

[…] Summer Fruit Pecan Crisp by Oh, Ladycakes Why choose between all of the delicious summer fruits? This nutty crisp has it all — strawberries, blueberries, cherries and nectarines — and since there’s not too much sweetener, the fruit really shines. […]

• Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is July 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM

[…] summer fruit pecan crisp. […]

• Simple Saturday: Summer Fruit Recipes | think fruitful July 12, 2014 at 7:03 AM

[…] never thought of putting almonds in my crisp topping- […]

• Monday Madness September 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM