Salted chocolate truffles

Salted chocolate truffles

We’re going to keep this short and sweet today because we’re back in Ohio and any time I spend in this space is taking away from quality time I could be spending with my Oma and Opa. So let’s get to it: 1) Shameless self-promotion. 2) I’ve done the tiniest gift roundup for those of you who are still looking to buy something for the rad humans in your life. Which will pretty much only be suitable for aforementioned humans who like coffee, baking, and books that address rather controversial issues surrounding industrial agriculture/our current food system. 3) I made you truffles (with half a dozen variations). Which make a better gift than anything you’d ever be able to get from any store but, after all the work you put into making them look perfect, you’re probably going to want to keep them to yourself. That’s perfectly ok but you really should spread the truffle love.

GUYS. Williams-Sonoma interviewed me (!) about holiday baking traditions AND they’re sharing my recipe for gingerbread folk. I also just realized I never wound up posting my (perfected) recipe for coconut oil sugar cookies, so.. sorry about that. I promise I’ll give it to you next year.

I know Weihnachten is right around the corner but that’s not going to keep me from sharing some of my favorite kitchen things: This polka dot mug, these rubber spatulas, these cake pans, and this pour-over drip pot. For those of you into non-fiction reading, the three most eye-opening and thought-provoking books I’ve read these past couple of months: The American Way of Eating (read it cover to cover in two and a half hours), The Soil Will Save Us, and The Unsettling of America. Oh, and just because I give it to all the horrible people in my life: the card game to end all card games. My two eldest brothers are getting it this year and I’m going to make sure all of us terrible folk play it on the day that commemorates the birth of that little boy from Nazareth. If Santa was real, I’m pretty sure we’d all be getting organic manure next year. Because if Santa was real he’d be smart enough to know that giving coal to all the naughty kids is only expediting the rate at which his precious North Pole is melting.

That’s all from me. I’ll be back next time with that guide to Iceland and then there will be a bit of radio static as I’m heading to Morocco and Spain (sans my favorite travel buddy) until mid-January. Happy holidays to you and yours!

Chopped dark chocolateCalifia Farms unsweetend almondmilkGLOSSYTrufflesPretzelsAlmondsSalted chocolate trufflesSalted chocolate trufflesSalted chocolate trufflesSalted chocolate trufflesSalted chocolate trufflesSalted chocolate truffles

Notes: Rolling the truffles is a bit time consuming. You may be tempted to use a bigger cookie scoop but don’t do it or else the ratio of toppings to chocolate will be all out of whack and no one wants that – so make sure you’re using a 1 1/2 teaspoon cookie scoop and you’ll be golden. You also need to make sure you’re using at least 70% dark chocolate; the darker the chocolate, the richer (and, in my opinion, the more delicious) the truffles. For super melt in your mouth truffles (that are also a bit messier to make) use 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) of almondmilk. The temperature of your house will determine the consistency of your truffles. Our house was about 74˚F and they retained their shape but were perfectly melty on the inside. I moved the truffles to a cooler part of the house and they firmed up a bit, but were still smooth and delicious.

This post is sponsored by Califia Farms. All opinions are my own, and I think Califia rules.

SALTED CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES

Chocolate base
6 tablespoons Califia Farms unsweetened almondmilk
10 ounces 70% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Small pinch of fine sea salt

Toppings
Cacao powder
Almonds, finely chopped
Vanilla sea salt
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Pretzel meal
Hemp hearts
Coconut flour

First things first. Get some holiday nog and add a shot of spiced dark liquor. Turn on your favorite holiday tunes, light a few candles, and take a big drink. I mean it.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the almondmilk to a boil. While the almondmilk is heating, add the chocolate and coconut oil to a large heat proof bowl. Put it in the oven and preheat it to 350˚F. Yes, bowl in the oven then preheat it. Once the almondmilk starts to boil, open the oven and carefully pour it over the chocolate and coconut oil. Close the oven door and set your timer for five minutes. After five minutes, carefully remove the bowl, off the oven, add the vanilla extract and sea salt, then stir the mixture until smooth and glossy. Transfer chocolate to a new bowl (you don’t want to put the hot bowl in the refrigerator) then place in refrigerator to chill for at least one hour (maybe two).

While the chocolate is firming up, prepare your desired toppings. My favorite combination was the finely chopped almonds and vanilla sea salt (self-proclaimed addict), but I also used all of the toppings listed above. Feel free to use your favorites.

After an hour, test your chocolate by firmly pressing the surface of it with your finger. If your finger pokes through the chocolate, let it set a bit longer. When your finger makes a slight indent, it’s ready. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a 1 1/2 teaspoon cookie scoop, drop the chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet. Your balls may not look perfect but that’s ok, we’ll deal with that later. Once you’ve scooped all the chocolate, roll each piece between your palms until a round ball forms, then transfer the baking sheet to the fridge and let set for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet and prepare a flat surface with all of your desired toppings. The chocolate balls will be rather hard, so you’ll have to roll each one between your palms (again!) to slightly melt the surface. Roll balls in desired toppings and place back on baking sheet. Let them sit for 30-45 minutes then transfer to a jar or container. You can store them in the refrigerator long term, but I prefer to leave them on the counter.

Yield: About 50 truffles

VARIATIONS
Chocolate whiskey truffles – Replace 2-3 tablespoons of the almondmilk with equal amounts of your favorite whiskey (we’re big fans of the Irish variety). Roll in cacao powder.
Orange chocolate truffles – Replace the vanilla extract with natural orange flavor (not orange juice). Roll in coconut flour and finely zested orange peel.
Mint chocolate truffles – Replace the vanilla extract with mint extract. Roll in cacao powder or coconut flour.
Mocha truffles – Replace 2 tablespoons of the almondmilk with equal amounts of espresso (or, for super sweet truffles, replace all of the almondmilk with Califia’s double espresso iced coffee). Roll in cacao powder.
Chocolate peanut butter truffles – Replace the coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter). Roll in peanut meal or finely chopped peanuts, and top with a pinch of vanilla sea salt.
Mayan chocolate truffles – Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon paprika to the chocolate mixture. Roll in a mixture of cacao powder and ground cinnamon.

55 Comments

• Reply Mrs. Hooah 16 December 2014 at 6:43 AM

Those look absolutely delish!!! What a perfect read first thing in the morning! Definitely going to try these :)

• Reply valentina - sweet kabocha 16 December 2014 at 6:59 AM

Perfect recipe! But, it isn’t the same thing of just melting chocolate+coconut oil in milk on the stove? I hate my oven :P

• Reply Ashlae 16 December 2014 at 7:02 AM

Hi Valentina –

Don’t do it on the stove! I tried it that way and the consistency didn’t turn out right – way too crumbly as opposed to smooth and luscious.

• Reply MAV 16 December 2014 at 7:27 AM

Oh my goodness. These look awesome!!! And we hope you get that Polka Dot Mug! xoxo More & Co.

• Reply Ashlae 16 December 2014 at 7:34 AM

Hi Mav –

Bought it a year ago and use it nearly every morning. :) XOXOX

• Reply Ashley 16 December 2014 at 7:36 AM

WOW! For reals. Insane.

• Reply Laney 16 December 2014 at 7:37 AM

Ohhhhhhh! I’m making these tonight! I’m also buying all those books in the meantime. :) Do you ever stop traveling? I want your life.

• Reply The Vegan Cookie Fairy 16 December 2014 at 7:55 AM

I’ve never before used my oven to make truffles before, interesting method!
    Also really like the first line of your instructions. That’s my idea of a good afternoon!

• Reply Lindsey 16 December 2014 at 8:18 AM

loving this gift round-up hardcore, so, thank you for taking time away to share! i can’t wait to read your iceland guide, your european guides helped me so much last year when my husband and i were there. and travels to morocco and spain sounds like such a dream! happy holidays to you, ashlae! xo

• Reply Riley 16 December 2014 at 8:55 AM

I just… oh… these look so amazing. That is all.

• Reply Tori@Gringalicious.com 16 December 2014 at 9:25 AM

These look fabulous! I must try!

• Reply Elizabeth Jarrard 16 December 2014 at 1:25 PM

yes please! making these and reading all those books next week. xoxo

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar 16 December 2014 at 1:34 PM

These truffles are stunning. Totally in love with all the toppings!

• Reply Shannon 16 December 2014 at 2:16 PM

Wow, these look excellent! I hope to get the chance to make them someday!

• Reply Jayme Henderson 16 December 2014 at 3:14 PM

Hey, Ashlae – first of all, have fun with your grandparents and have a happy holiday! Okay. So, I just ordered The Soil Will Save Us, and I am super jazzed to read it. It sounds like just the fit for me. Thanks for the recommendation. Also, I am going to make these truffles. I made a batch last year (also, vegan), but the texture was lack-luster (I didn’t end up sharing them, but that didn’t stop me from eating the so-so batter straight out of the bowl!). :-/ Yours look superb!

• Reply Kelly 16 December 2014 at 10:32 PM

Looks delish but any suggestion in place of coconut oil?

• Reply Ashlae 17 December 2014 at 4:34 AM

Hi Kelly –

Nope! Since using a naturally low fat milk, a solid fat source is necessary.

• Reply Fiona 17 December 2014 at 2:48 AM

Hey lady! I was wondering if subbing in other almond milk would work? I’m struggling to source Califa in Bonnie Scotland. These look like something I want in my mouth asap. Have all the holiday fun!

• Reply Ashlae 17 December 2014 at 4:44 AM

Hi Fiona –

I actually couldn’t find Califia and made them with a different almond milk last night. The texture wasn’t nearly as creamy so try to find the fattiest almond milk you possibly can.

• Reply Fiona 18 December 2014 at 2:08 AM

Thanks Ashlae. Will give it a bash tonight, fingers crossed!

• Reply Maja 17 December 2014 at 2:49 AM

wohoo for Weihnachten, and Morocco! It’s perfect weather there in January!
    xx
    Frohe Weihnachten euch Zwei!

• Reply Sherrie | With Food + Love 17 December 2014 at 10:49 AM

I love everything about this. And your interview with WS is amazing, congrats to you my friend.

Yeeee Morocco + Spain!!

• Reply Califia Farms Cooking with Califia: Salted Chocolate Truffles | Califia Farms 17 December 2014 at 11:10 AM

[…] if they’re chocolate. Extra extra especially if the recipe comes from Oh, Ladycakes. Make  Salted Chocolate Truffles (made with Califia!) for your loved ones this holiday season and you’ll soon find that […]

• Reply Mahee Ferlini 17 December 2014 at 5:57 PM

I hope mine look this good! Love the pretzels

• Reply Jade Sheldon-Burnsed 17 December 2014 at 7:14 PM

My oh my, these truffles are so gorgeous!

• Reply Julia 18 December 2014 at 6:43 AM

So gorgeous, Ashlae! I make truffles every year for my family – I’ve got to try your version!

Happy Holidays! xoxo

• Reply Amy Zimmerman 18 December 2014 at 12:03 PM

Holy Mother of truffles…these look DIVINE. Can’t wait to test them out. What brand of Vanilla Salt do you use, or do you just make your own? I’m thinking I’ll just shove a few split vanilla beans into my container of sea salt. What’s the worst that could happen? ;)

• Reply Heather 19 December 2014 at 10:00 AM

Based on my reaction every time I come to your blog, you’d think I’ve never seen food before.

“APPLE PIE?!!?!”
    “ALMOND CAKE?!!”
    “TRUFFLES!? WHAT IS THIS GIRL, MAGIC?”

Yum yum yum.

• Reply Nadine Reyhani 20 December 2014 at 4:02 PM

Oh yummy! I made similiar ones today, but added chopped caramelized almonds! So lush!! Seems we’ll be in Morocco soon after you – looking forward to insider tips! Have a great time there!

• Reply Heather 21 December 2014 at 8:10 AM

I think you will be happy to know that I as well will be spending countless hours this holiday season playing Cards Against Humanity with my in-laws, and now we have the Canadian expansion set, which makes it even more ridiculous. Your Oma and Opa sounds like pretty amazing people. And that photo, so adorable. Morocco and Spain, gah, so jealous. I am really excited to see your photos and hear about your adventures. I was following along closely when you were in Iceland, and the nature and scenery – incredible. And I am relieved that you were able to find a few things to eat there. My friend just returned, vegan as well, and she found it quite difficult. Sending lots of love this holiday season, and Happy travels! xo Heather

• Reply Sara 22 December 2014 at 4:59 PM

I only have 3/4 oz. of 70% dark chocolate… so could I use 90% dark chocolate instead? Would I have to add sugar? HELP! Santa wants these REALLY bad!

• Reply Ashlae 22 December 2014 at 9:06 PM

Hi Sara –

I’d asvise against using 90% dark as adding additional sugar will alter the texture. Hopefully you can get your hands on some more of the 70% soon! :)

• Reply Mahee Ferlini 24 December 2014 at 5:55 PM

Gorgeous.

• Reply kristie {birch and wild} 27 December 2014 at 7:40 PM

Happy Travels! Oh, and these truffles looks so damn good :)

• Reply Carol 28 December 2014 at 10:34 AM

looks really delicious!!

• Reply Mariana 29 December 2014 at 5:53 AM

These are little balls of joy for sure.

• Reply Karen 30 December 2014 at 6:11 AM

Wow, those look scrumptious! This would be a perfect treat when guests come to visit! You could even make a few dozen at one time and freeze them!

Thank you for sharing this recipe, I can’t wait to try them (:

• Reply cynthia 31 December 2014 at 10:46 AM

These look AMAZING. And holy sh*t that Williams-Sonoma interview — too, too cool!!!!! Happy happy new year, Ashlae!!! So thankful to have met you this year and so excited to see what’s in store for 2015.

• Reply Kasey 31 December 2014 at 3:35 PM

I so wish I would have caught you in Ohio but alas…2015! Thank you for all your support over the last year! Happy new year!! xo

• Reply Phillip 2 January 2015 at 8:01 AM

Wow, these look fantastic and pretty easy to make. We’ve been looking for some inspiration for 2015 and found it in your blog. Congrats on getting published by Williams and Sonoma. Thats a big deal. We love your blog and found you from your best of 2014 food blogs award. Thanks for doing great work with easy to follow recipes. Love it!

• Reply Weekend Links and Inspiration 10 January 2015 at 8:26 AM

[…]  These salted chocolate truffles (with several variations) are out of this […]

• Reply Amaryllis 19 January 2015 at 1:50 PM

Oh my! I need more than a handful of these like now! Beautiful!

Amaryllis

• Reply Inspiration 01.25.15 | brilliant buckets 25 January 2015 at 5:22 PM

[…] Salted chocolate truffles? Yum, I’ll make some of these! […]

• Reply Honey 26 January 2015 at 5:59 AM

stunning photography! this is so beautiful and i am so going to try make it this week :)

xxHoney

• Reply Daily Moments – Week 6 | About A Boy 8 February 2015 at 5:49 PM

[…] figured out how to make truffles. They are fantastic and they’re vegan. I am going to make them again this week for […]

• Reply tara 10 February 2015 at 6:35 AM

I have made these twice and LOVE the taste but I am having issues with texture. The only difference I am using 64% chocolate. Would that make a difference? Also after setting in the fridge at least an hour the outside rim of chocolate in the bowl is rock hard and the inside is really soft. I used a wider flatter bowl the second time with similar results. The chocolate is very difficult to remove from the bowl and crumbles. Any suggestions? I am going to try them again since the taste so amazing but will use a square pan.

• Reply Ashlae 10 February 2015 at 7:22 AM

Hi Tara –

It is likely the chocolate, yes. 70% is the minimum percentage I was able to use to get the truffles to turn out properly. Even 66% dark chocolate wouldn’t work. Hopefully they turn out for you!

• Reply Victoria 27 March 2015 at 12:07 PM

This recipe is genius!!! They taste amazing Ashlae, thanks for sharing!

• Reply 2-Ingredient Chocolate Truffles | Minimalist Baker Recipes 10 September 2015 at 6:01 AM

[…] recipe, which is approximately 9 ounces, or scant 1 1/4 cup chopped.*Recipe loosely adapted from Oh, Ladycakes.Nutrition Information Serving size: 1 truffle (of 16) Calories: 89 Fat: 5 g […]

• Reply Holiday Baking Time - 2015 Edition - Warm Vanilla Sugar 4 December 2015 at 2:33 AM

[…] Salted Chocolate Truffles by Oh Ladycakes {V+GF} Almond Butter and Maple Cream Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies by A Couple Cooks (photo above) Healthier Gingerbread Cookies by Cookie and Kate No-Bake Vegan Brownies with Chocolate Ganache by Minimalist Baker {V+GF} Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups by Sprouted Kitchen {GF} Hemp Tahini Date Caramel Bars by Will Frollic for Food {V+GF} […]

• Reply Kat 11 February 2016 at 7:28 PM

Hi. When I made these, the coconut oil separated firm the chocolate! What happened? What did I do wrong? I was so happy because these were supposed to be for Valentines Day!

• Reply Ashlae 12 February 2016 at 7:06 AM

Hi Kate –

Unfortunately it was your chocolate! I’d recommend using Chocolove, Theo, or Divine to ensure they turn out perfect.

• Reply Cece 24 March 2016 at 8:53 AM

can i use an alternative milk instead of almond milk? ex. hemp, coconut, rice?

• Reply Ashlae 29 March 2016 at 5:14 AM

Hi Cece –

I haven’t tried it but I wouldn’t recommend it as alternative milks tend to have drastically different consistencies, and may not produce a good-textured truffle.