Coconut oil chocolate chunk cookies

Coconut oil chocolate chunk cookies

The last thing this site needs is another cookie recipe, especially when you take into account the fact that I’ve had a strong preference for flat, circular desserts these past few months. But I figured you guys would appreciate this one and keeping it confined to the pages of my recipe book was starting to feel a little.. wrong. With that being said, this recipe is a continuation of my efforts to ditch that nasty, faux butter and recreate alllllll my favorite desserts with coconut oil, instead. So today I’m here with a cookie recipe I almost didn’t even attempt because Soft chocolate chip cookies with coconut oil? Keep dreamin’, lady.

But before we get to the cookies, we need to talk about the shocking and inconceivable WTF moment I had in my kitchen while working to tweak this recipe for folks who have a different definition of The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie. If you follow me on Twitter you may already be privy to this little morsel of information but, if not, you should probably know that I discovered some serious inconsistencies with my measuring cup + spoon set. Like, the 1/3 cup measurement is actually six tablespoons and two 1/4 cup measurements are two tablespoons shy of filling the 1/2 cup measure. It shouldn’t be even remotely surprising that following this discovery I proceeded to go batshit crazy and declared FROM THIS POINT FORWARD I’M USING A SCALE. And I think you should, too. Because weight measurements are far more accurate. That, and you’ll never have to pre-fluff flour, ever again.

As for the cookies, I’m fairly certain I’ve churned at least 200 of these bad boys out of my kitchen in the past week, alone. If you do the math, that’s 25 batches of cookies comprised of six jars of coconut oil, a bottle of my favorite almondmilk, and more chocolate bars than I’d like to count. And although at the time I felt like I was wasting a boatload of precious ingredients, to say it was worth it would be a total understatement because now we have what I’ve been referring to as the best vegan chocolate chip (err, chunk) cookie recipe, ever. Which, I know, is a fundamentally subjective thing to say, but I’m going to say it anyway because I’ve provided three different versions depending on what you consider an ideal chocolate chip cookie situation. There’s a gluten free version, too. So make that four.

BAM.

You might be wondering what we did with 200+ chocolate chunk cookies. I wrapped them in plastic then stuffed them in my backpack and handed them out to the homeless folks that reside within a two block radius of our house. And when they got tired of chocolate chunk cookies I forced them on my friends. Then eventually I convinced Thom to take a batch to the lab every night because I’d eaten so many cookies that my pants no longer fit. Except I’m pretty sure that has less to do with the cookies and more to do with the fact that I’ve not been rolling outta bed for my 5AM run as often as mornings prior. My pal Anze now encourages me with texts like, “Go for the fucking run! You have a wedding in a month.”

I HAVE A WEDDING IN A MONTH.

Coconut oil chocolate chunk cookiesCoconut oil chocolate chunk cookiesCoconut oil chocolate chunk cookiesCoconut oil chocolate chunk cookiesCoconut oil chocolate chunk cookiesCoconut oil chocolate chunk cookiesCalifia Farms unsweetened almondmilkCoconut oil chocolate chunk cookiesCoconut oil chocolate chunk cookies

Notes: You may be tempted to use chocolate chips in this recipe but it’s worth noting that chocolate chunks are superior to chips, 99.9999% of the time. Don’t keep 183264 chocolate bars in your fridge, like me? Chop the heck outta some chocolate chips and they’ll tide you over in a pinch. But really try to use a bar, I promise it makes a difference. If you feel so inclined, chop up 1/4 cup of your favorite nuts and add them to the dough. Walnuts are delicious. DO NOT try to add the coconut oil and almondmilk at the same time; adding the oil first is crucial for thickening the oil + sugar mixture and resulting in a dough that’s the proper texture and consistency. White whole wheat flour substitutes beautifully in this recipe, if you want something made with a bit more whole grain lovin’. Although I don’t recommend it because all purpose flour really works the best here.

+ Thin/chewy cookies: 1 1/4 cups (170g) flour
+ The happy place in between: 1 1/3 cups (185g) flour (my go-to!)
+ Thick/pillowy cookies: 1 1/2 cups (205g) flour and an extra 1 teaspoon almondmilk + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
+ Gluten free cookies: replace the all purpose flour with 18og gluten free flour blend
+ Ice cream sandwiches: I recommend using the thin/chewy cookies

If you don’t have a scale, make sure you fluff the flour with a fork before each measurement. I do this anytime I’m baking but if you don’t have a scale, this step is going to be crucial to get your flour weight as close to my measurements as possible. Although many sites recommend fluffing with a fork, spooning into the measuring cup, then leveling with a knife, I simply fluff my flour with a fork, scoop it with the measuring cup, and level it with a knife. The spoon is an unnecessary step (in my opinion), but as a result my weights are a bit heavy compared to the standard cup weights you’ll find on the interweb.

Update: Some folks have been asking about substituting corn/tapioca starch for the potato variety. Corn would be my first pic (if you don’t have potato) (make sure it’s non-GMO), but tapioca starch will work as well.

This post is sponsored by Califia Farms. All opinions are my own, and I think Califia rules.

COCONUT OIL CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES

2/3 cup (148g) light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons (20g) potato starch
1/3 cup (75g) refined coconut oil, melted (but not hot)
1/4 cup (56g) Califia Farms unsweetened almondmilk, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons real deal vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/3 cups (185g) all purpose unbleached flour
1 1/2 ounces good quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and potato starch until evenly combined. Stir in the coconut oil and whisk for 30-45 seconds, just until the mixture starts to thicken. Add the almond milk and vanilla extract; whisk until combined then let set for about 1 minute to thicken, before mixing again. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; mix with a wooden spoon or spatula, just until combined then quickly/gently mix in the dark chocolate. Using a 1/4 cup cookie scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet then roll into round balls, if desired. Bake at 350˚F for 10-11 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for ten minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies can be kept in an air tight container, at room temperature, for up to five days. But they won’t last that long.

Yield: 8 big ass cookies

Coconut oil chocolate chunk cookies

PS – REAL DEAL VANILLA EXTRACT WILL BE AVAILABLE ON 20 MAY AT 8AM MST!

70 Comments

• Reply Kimiko 7 May 2015 at 8:14 AM

These look so delicious… I think I’m going to have to try out a batch…. Also – YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED IN A MONTH!! All the best on your overseas wedding!!! Can’t wait to hear how it goes :)

• Reply Heather 7 May 2015 at 8:25 AM

Ok so this recipe is genius and looks so delicious but all I can think about is how beautiful your wedding is going to be. That location! Holy smokes. I can’t wait to see pics!

• Reply Sophie 7 May 2015 at 8:29 AM

love baking with coconut oil! your photos are glorious, as always. looks like a nighttime shoot?!?

• Reply Katie @ Veggie and the Beast 7 May 2015 at 8:44 AM

Oh I have been there, with the overwhelming amount of cookies that are fine, but just not great. It’s so satisfying when you actually get it RIGHT though. I love that you made these into huge cookies. Sometimes a girl just needs a giant cookie, and these look fab.

• Reply Megan 7 May 2015 at 8:46 AM

I visited Ljubljana 5 years ago and Anze’s instagram made me remember what a great trip that was. I loved Slovenia and would love to get back there soon. I wish I had a run-encouraging friend!

• Reply MollyDHall 7 May 2015 at 8:54 AM

Well this will be the first official recipe I make of yours and I couldn’t be more excited!

• Reply Heather 7 May 2015 at 9:26 AM

Ashlae, your dedication to the art of cookie making is phenomenal. I will make these asap.

Hugs

• Reply steph 7 May 2015 at 9:45 AM

you are a cookie making genius

• Reply Lan | morestomach 7 May 2015 at 10:29 AM

i stopped running about 6 months before my wedding, for fear of injury. i didn’t start running again until over a year after my wedding and my left knee is currently still smarting from the half i hobbled on sunday. all this to say, run if you want to, but stretch before and after. and thank you for these cookies. i do have a go-to coconut oil chocolate chip cookies recipe but i’m always down for another one.
    also, what i like to do is form cookie dough and then freeze them… to either eat raw (they only time i’m willing to eat raw batter cus it’s sans eggs) or to pop into the oven when i’ve had a bad day.

• Reply Carolyn 7 May 2015 at 2:18 PM

Ok lets try this again……
      I’m curious as to what your go to recipe Is? I’ve made so many and none have been good enough to make a 2nd time.

• Reply Clara 7 May 2015 at 10:41 AM

Hi Ashlae, I have one question, which type of cookie did you do on the pictures? thin, in between or thick?
    thanks!!

• Reply Lauren 7 May 2015 at 10:43 AM

Hi Ashlae! Quick question — is unrefined coconut oil ok to use here, versus refined?

• Reply Ashlae 7 May 2015 at 11:34 AM

Hi Lauren –

Hell yeah it is! Enjoy.

• Reply Sara @ Cake Over Steak 7 May 2015 at 11:12 AM

First of all, please keep the cookie recipes coming. There will never be too many cookie recipes for me. Secondly, using my kitchen scale when baking makes me so happy. Every time I measure flour with it I get a little giddy just knowing that I don’t have to deal with all of the fluffing and careful measuring crap. This has been going on for the 4+ years I’ve had my scale. Every time. Third – go for the fucking run!! haha :-) But I don’t blame you – honestly, when I was planning my wedding (or when I was supposed to be but was paralyzed by stress), all I wanted to do was bake loads of chocolate chip cookies. One month! Ah!

• Reply Amy (Woodenspoonbaking) 7 May 2015 at 11:50 AM

Yay, gluten-free flours! I was just thinking about a coconut oil chocolate chipper the other day, and of course these look great. Did you use Bob’s Red Mill or some other gluten-free mix?

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar 7 May 2015 at 12:55 PM

No way! Happy to see another cookie recipe on the blog! These sound lovely!

• Reply Erica 7 May 2015 at 12:56 PM

Trying this immediately. You sure know how to brighten up a girl’s day :)

• Reply Kasey 7 May 2015 at 2:05 PM

I 100% agree with you on chunks vs. chips, though I recently made a batch of cookies with chocolate DISCS which was also pretty damn good. I can’t believe how soon your wedding is!! Amazing! Also, good for you for handing out cookies to the homeless — I bet you made a lot of people’s days. xo

• Reply Ashlae 7 May 2015 at 3:15 PM

OH GIRL.

I do love discs but find them troublesome when forming cookies with a scoop. Which I use more often than not. The thing I love about chopped chocolate is the little shrapnel that makes it into every bite. ;) But I do have a package of discs in my fridge and I’m totally gonna use them next time I make this recipe. In three hours. Ha!

• Reply Djaniella 7 May 2015 at 3:34 PM

Wow, this looks divine! I can’t wait to try it out! Can I use corn starch in replace of potato starch?

• Reply Ashlae 7 May 2015 at 4:00 PM

Hi Djaniella –

Don’t see why not! I tend to use them interchangeably, most of the time. :) Enjoy!

• Reply Katherine 7 May 2015 at 7:53 PM

I didn’t have potato starch on hand, so I used corn starch. The cookies turned out beautifully! I doubled the recipe and I’m taking them to a reception tomorrow :)
        I agree about the scale measurements- it makes it so much easier to measure! I’m glad I have one!

• Reply Djaniella 23 May 2015 at 9:47 PM

Thanks so much for both of your input! I’m giving this a try this weekend :)

• Reply Cady 7 May 2015 at 4:12 PM

Big ass cookies= the only kind of cookies for me. (TEAM THIN CHEWY)
    Also I need to get a kitchen scale but yesterday I burnt the crap out of my arm using lab equipment, and I am afraid of making the kitchen feel too much like the lab, as we are somewhat at odds right now.

• Reply Marissa 7 May 2015 at 4:25 PM

Those cookies look mouthwateringly good! And I agree with you, a scale is the way to go!

• Reply Anze 7 May 2015 at 4:30 PM

You’ll always be my favourite lady. AND GO FOR THE FUCKING RUN, YOU DON’T WNANNA BE FAT FO YO WEDDING. lol that could never happen. still go for the motherfucking run. <3

Anze

• Reply Lauren 8 May 2015 at 11:20 AM

That is a really horrible thing to say.

• Reply Ashlae 8 May 2015 at 11:42 AM

Yeah Anze, I hope you don’t kiss your mama with that mouth!

• Reply Abby 7 May 2015 at 5:17 PM

These cookies are amazing, Ashlae! Oh, god, I want one right now SO BADLY. Your photos are perfection, and I totally love that coconut oil is the fat source in this recipe.
    But seriously, I NEED one.
    And hurrah about your wedding! I can’t wait to hear more about it. xoxo <3

• Reply thunderbuns 7 May 2015 at 6:49 PM

Yum!!! These cookies look amazing. And I love that they’re not loaded with butter substitute or cups of oil like a lot of recipes I see. Thanks for posting!

• Reply Kayla 7 May 2015 at 8:19 PM

Yay for scale measuring!! I find it so much easier than cups/spoons for everything. Also, these cookies look amazing!

• Reply Grace 7 May 2015 at 8:35 PM

chunks > chips any day. Thanks for going the extra mile on these recipes, seriously 4 versions in one post, you’re a champ. Can’t wait to try the GF cookies version.. maybe tonight.

• Reply Kathryn 8 May 2015 at 2:51 AM

You can never have to many cookie recipes, pretty sure that’s some scientific fact. And I’m so glad you have been converted to the dark side (ie measuring by weight). For a start, there are way less things to wash up when you just dump ingredients in a bowl and cut out the middle man. I’m all for that.

Good luck with the final wedding countdown. I’m pretty sure there will be at last 200 cookies in the run up to our wedding too…

• Reply Friday Faves | Gringalicious 8 May 2015 at 4:02 AM

[…] I’m feeling like these need to happen as well because what weekend is complete without Coconut Oil Chocolate Chunk Cookies, […]

• Reply Jessica Kelley 8 May 2015 at 4:18 AM

Your cookies are absolutely beautiful!!! I love that you gave some of the extras to the homeless. What an inspiration!!! Now excuse me while I go make these cookies.

• Reply Jennifer 8 May 2015 at 6:12 AM

I am so glad you are switching to weight! I think it is a million times better than cups because flour can be a a sneaky S.O.B. I can’t wait to give these a try

• Reply Sara 8 May 2015 at 10:22 AM

I just pulled these out of the oven and they are delicious!!!! I didn’t have high hopes because I used canola in place of the coconut oil and tapioca starch instead of potato starch but these are easily the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had and I’m not even vegan. Your efforts are greatly appreciated, woman. I applaud you and would crown you the queen of vegan baking, if such a title were to exist. ;-)

• Reply Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen 8 May 2015 at 2:32 PM

I’m all about the weight measurements for baking too! I think it’s my slight OCD tendencies – I need to know that everything I’m measuring is as accurate as possible in order to be satisfied haha.

These look absolutely perfect!

• Reply genevieve @ gratitude & greens 8 May 2015 at 7:53 PM

OMG these cookies look dope. I am so excited to make a batch this weekend. And your wedding location is GORGEOUS! I lived in the UK for four years and they are all about the scales there. I have one and have been meaning to convert myself over, it just hasn’t happened… yet.

• Reply Elizabeth 9 May 2015 at 7:00 PM

best damn cookies ever!

• Reply Anne 10 May 2015 at 8:20 AM

I must say I disagree with a site having too many chocolate chip cookies. Nothing can ever have too many cookies.
    Also, can I just say how much I wished I lived in your house? 200+ cookies? That sounds like absolute heaven!!! Although, giving them out to homeless people sounds like a good idea too (though I’m surprised they got tired of them).

• Reply Elena Shetty 10 May 2015 at 8:59 AM

I can still remember back to the day in college, this is the only thing can keep me alive during the exams. Nothing can rival a crunchy chocolate cookie. Oh man, I miss them so much!

• Reply Rainbow 13 May 2015 at 10:22 AM

I discovered your Masala chai snickerdoodles recipe from 2013 and I really want to make them. However, they call for “vegan” butter. Like you, these days, I’d prefer to use something else. What would you suggest? I could use goat butter (I’m allergic to cow dairy) or coconut oil, but I’m not sure how it would affect the dough if I make no other changes.

• Reply Richa {VeganRicha.com} 15 May 2015 at 8:28 PM

woah! such perfection!

• Reply Teti 18 May 2015 at 4:28 AM

I always sift flour before measuring but using the scales is the best thing to do anyway. It’s so good that you never fail to give precise directions on technical matters and certainly inspiring to read that you deliver most of your trial cookies to the homeless.

• Reply Waffle Party! (+Here and There) | The Frosted Vegan 20 May 2015 at 5:43 AM

[…] Ashlae’s coconut oil chocolate chip cookies were a perfect snack to have around the house in-between meals. They are crunchy, filled with […]

• Reply Rebecca 21 May 2015 at 4:17 PM

In the last couple of weeks I’ve made 3 double batches of these and taken them around to friends’ places. Everyone who’s tried them wants the recipe, they’re THAT good.

• Reply Lynnette 21 May 2015 at 8:53 PM

Yay for weddings! I got engaged last week and the excitement of planning our wedding has already started to give me too much adrenalin. I have actually ‘started’ running. Before, I just sat around and ate cake. :D I have been baking and pinning more food than I ever have as a result of thinking about our wedding cake! How do you choose?! We are going with a dessert bar. BTW, these cookies look amazing and with that coconut oil, I can imagine how lovely and delicate they would taste. Recipe – pinned! Thanks for sharing and I hope we get to see lots of photos of this overseas Wedding! :) x

• Reply Resi 1 August 2015 at 7:23 AM

YUM. Thank you so much for this recipe which I finally tried today! I had it in the back of my mind and today was the day to finally make those cookies. So much yumminess! Can’t wait for your wedding post :) now that it’s August… looking forward to see more awesomeness from your wedding celebrations! Your courthouse wedding was already lovely to see and hear about. Congratulations again on your wedding! Much love all the way from Switzerland, Resi

• Reply Khadija 17 August 2015 at 6:57 PM

These turned out great! I had to also make them GF due to allergies so I used an imitation of Better Batter flour I found online and they looked and tasted like real cookies! The thickening procedure is brilliant :)

• Reply C. @ weird0ugh.com 21 August 2015 at 10:10 AM

holy moly these taste+look+ARE amazing!!!!!!!!! made them today.
    10/10.

plus, i can vouch for a thing: if you lack almond milk because you’re dumb, you can use water and they will still taste unbelievably f*cking good.

xx
    c.

• Reply Janna 3 September 2015 at 12:47 PM

Looking at trying these out but I’m curious can you use non fat milk over almond? I’m not an overly big fan of it and seeing as I only need 1/4 cup I’d prefer not to go buy some for that amount. Or would something else work just as well?

• Reply Ashlae 3 September 2015 at 2:54 PM

Hi Janna –

I’m not sure as I’ve always used almondmilk. Wouldn’t hurt to try!

• Reply Alissa 12 September 2015 at 2:49 PM

The cookies taste great, but mine barely flattened out in the oven. They are too thick for my taste. Yours look nice and flat! Any advice? Cut down on the baking powder, maybe (i noticed mine is double acting, i don’t know if that makes a difference). Thanks!

• Reply Ashlae 13 September 2015 at 10:58 AM

Hi Alissa –

Did you use a scale to weigh the ingredients? If not, it’s likely you used too much flour.

• Reply Carolyn 22 October 2015 at 6:18 AM

These look delicious – I’m going to have to try them. You’ve seen the light about using scales! I’ve never understood why American recipes use cup measurements for EVERYTHING! It’s an odd concept for us here in the UK.

• Reply Janet Kilb 14 December 2015 at 1:36 PM

May I use quinoa or brown rice flour instead of 18og gluten free??

• Reply Ashlae 15 December 2015 at 7:47 PM

Hi Janet –

I’m not sure, as I haven’t tried it.

• Reply Carolyn 8 January 2016 at 2:44 PM

hi Ashlae! I just want to say I made these for xmas and they are sooooooooo delicious!!!!!! after trying many other recipes, disappointed every time, I finally have a keeper!!!! thanks ladycake!!!

• Reply Ashlae 9 January 2016 at 7:02 AM

Hi Carolyn –

I am SOOOOO happy to hear that! <3

• Reply Irene 25 January 2016 at 9:46 AM

Hey there 😀 I’ve been recently introduced to your recipes by http://www.thefauxmartha.com/ and I’m already a fan. I’m just really grateful that I won’t have to alter recipes anymore to make them vegan. My question is more of a general one. I’ve found some recipes that I would love to try but they unfortunately contain eggs. Substituting dairy has always been easy, you just go for the plant-based option but eggs is a true mystery to me. What do I substitute it with? Milk, oil, water or another liquid?I know that of course one wouldn’t be able to reach the exact same consistency but I still I would like to know how and if you’ve ever ‘vegan-ised’ any recipe that contained eggs. thanks for your amazing work on this site <3

• Reply Ashlae 25 January 2016 at 10:54 AM

Hi Irene –

So cool! I adore Melissa. The egg substitution totally depends on the recipe you’re veganizing – and even then, the recipe needs to be tweaked to some extent. Unfortunately there’s no cut and dry solution, sorry!

• Reply Irene 27 January 2016 at 9:25 AM

awwe it’s cool :D thnx anywayz for your reply

• Reply Ann 12 February 2016 at 10:19 AM

Where can I find the nutritional conten per big ass cookie?

• Reply Lizabeth 7 March 2016 at 10:14 AM

Quite possibly the BEST chocolate chunk cookie ever created. This is now my go-to recipe for a few reasons- the taste is amazing, great texture, you can whip up 8 huge cookies in just under a half hour and they come out perfect every time! Making amazing cookies is no longer a huge fuss! I weighed my ingredients for superior results. Thanks a million!

• Reply Hollie 13 June 2016 at 12:10 PM

I love this recipe! I’m going to make them tonight.
    @BlueBarnKitchen

• Reply Clem @ The Vegan Cookie Fairy 28 June 2016 at 5:57 AM

I made this recipe for an Air BnB guest and they LOVED it! (Not gonna lie, I loved it too. Like, ate-6-cookies-and-loved-it.) I actually didn’t have enough coconut oil so I used maybe a scant 1/4 cup of coconut oil and maybe 2 tbsp of runny natural peanut butter and the result was simply AMAZING. Also, to keep myself from eating the whole batch in one go, I froze the baked cookies and if I want to eat just one, I grab it out of the freezer and pop it in the toaster for 2 minutes. It totally defrosts it and even makes the chocolate a bit melty!

Thank you for this BRILLIANT recipe x

• Reply Michelle 11 July 2016 at 6:53 AM

These cookies look divine 😋.
    Can’t wait to try it out.
    Could you please create a recipe on pop tarts without butter?

• Reply Tim Hordo 18 August 2016 at 10:08 AM

These are even better than the vegan chocolate chip cookies I’ve been making for a year…I didn’t think that recipe would get replaced, it was too good. I’m very impressed, thank you for sharing this!

• Reply Oh Ladycakes! - Dining to Know 19 August 2016 at 8:47 PM

[…] you want the recipe for the best vegan chocolate chip cookies ever look no further. Ashlae of Oh Ladycakes has got you covered. She also has you covered when it comes […]