Coconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compote

Coconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compote

It’s my belief that there are three kinds of people in this world country: People who love Valentine’s Day and can totally overlook the fact that V-Day is – undoubtedly – the worst day to get dressed up and go out for a romantic dinner considering every other person is also getting dressed up and trying to go out for a romantic dinner. People who hate Valentine’s Day and think the whole thing is a clever capitalist sham that’s perpetuated by mindless consumerism and corporate greed. And people who don’t give AF about Valentine’s Day and will take any excuse they can to sleep in and eat pancakes in bed (or, let their husbands sleep in and serve pancakes in bed).

That’s us. We fall into the latter camp (though we used to be those doe-eyed babes who would brave the crowds and long wait times at restaurants because we were drunk in love and wanted everyone to know about it). And although I, personally, don’t really get into the whole red roses and heart-shaped chocolates thing (I’ll take green plants and a bag of mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups, thanks), I can totally get behind doing something a little extra special on Valentine’s Day.. just because.

This year’s extra special gesture? Pancakes. In bed. Because nothing says I love you like breakfast in bed. And nothing says I really love you like letting Thom sleep in until 10AM then waking him up with a steaming-hot mug of chai and a plate of (vegan) pancakes that are smothered in coconut whipped cream, raspberry compote, and rich maple syrup. And let it be known: nothing says I really love you back like getting that ass out of bed, washing the dishes, and cleaning the kitchen for the lady who just served you breakfast on a platter.

Happy (almost) Valentine’s Day, guys. <3

Coconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteMakin' stuffCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteFlaked coconutCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compoteCoconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compote

Notes: If you want to double or triple this recipe, knock yourself out (as is, it feeds two). If you’re not into the chai component (YOU CRAZY), feel free to replace it with additional almondmilk. You can also replace the coconut flour with 1/4 cup unbleached flour (making for 1 cup flour, total). I like my pancakes on the thin side, but if you prefer yours to be thick, decrease the chai tea concentrate to 1/4 cup (55g). Coconut oil can be a pain to work with (none of your ingredients can be fresh outta the fridge), so feel free to substitute your favorite cooking oil (sunflower, safflower, sun coco (my fav), etc.). For Belgian-style waffles, decrease the almondmilk to 1/2 cup (108g) (and load those bad boys with chocolate chunks).

More V-Day goodness: Coconut oil sugar cookies with naturally colored icing, almond linzer cookies with cherry preserves (+ the raw version), and dark chocolate raspberry brownies. Oh, and salted chocolate truffles and small batch cinnamon rolls. Because why the heck not.

This post is sponsored by Hatchery, a company that sources high quality + small-batch ingredients from makers all across the country.. and delivers them straight to your door. From now through 15 February, Hatchery is offering 20% off their marketplace. Use code OHLADYCAKES for $10 off your first tasting box. All opinions are my own, and I think Hatchery rules.

COCONUT + CHAI SPICED PANCAKES WITH RASPBERRY COMPOTE

Pancakes
3/4 cup (105g) all-purpose unbleached flour
2 tablespoons (14g) coconut flour
1 tablespoon (12g) cane sugar

1 tablespoon (12g) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (1g) fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon (11g) unrefined coconut oil, melted (but not hot)
1/3 cup (78g) chai tea concentrate, room temperature
3/4 cup (164g) toasted coconut almondmilk, room temperature

Compote
1 cup (110g) frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon (12g) lemon juice
1 tablespoon dark robust taste maple syrup
(optional)
Pinch of pure ground Madagascar vanilla

You’ll also need
Coconut whipped cream
Dark robust taste maple syrup

Flaked coconut
Chopped almonds

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the coconut oil, chai tea concentrate, and almond milk; whisk just until combined. Heat a stovetop griddle or large frying pan over medium-low heat and lightly grease with oil. After a few minutes, check to make sure the pan is hot by flicking a few drops of water on it; if it sizzles, you’re good to go (if not, wait a few minutes longer). Stir the batter with a spatula to deflate it, then pour it on the pan in 1/4 cup measurements (using a stainless steel scoop makes this super easy). Cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side, then flip and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side.

While you’re cooking the pancakes, add the raspberries, lemon juice, maple syrup (if using), and ground vanilla to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Once the mixture starts to simmer, cook for 5-6 minutes, or until thickened. (If you’re not a multitasker, make the compote before you start the pancakes.)

Stack pancakes on a plate and top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and raspberry compote. Drizzle with maple syrup then finish with flaked coconut and chopped almonds, if desired.

Yield: 8 4″ pancakes (enough for two)

The dudePANCAKES IN BEDBreakfast in bed

PS – That picture above our bed is the first love note Thom wrote to me, so many moons ago. I had Bianca Cash blow it up + digitize it, and it’s the first thing I’d grab if our place caught fire.
PPS – Speaking of beds, if you know where we can find a funky, mid-century bed frame, holla at a lady because our concrete block platform has GOT TO GO.

37 Comments

• Reply Holly 12 February 2016 at 7:39 AM

THAT FLASHBACK PICTURE THOUGH. Almost as amazing as those pancakes look ;)

• Reply Heather 12 February 2016 at 8:02 AM

THAT PICTURE OF YOU TWO. I can’t believe that’s you! And that picture of Thom in bed! I love that print.

Q: Where’d you get your serving tray? I’ve been on the hunt for a good one but they’re all either too rustic looking or way too shiny. I’m holding out hope I’ll be able to find one in time for Valentine’s so I can make these pancakes and eat them in bed. All by myself.

• Reply Ashlae 14 February 2016 at 9:09 PM

Hi Heather –

I snagged it at Crate and Barrel. I was eyeing some from West Elm but ultimately settled on one that wasn’t lacquered.

• Reply hannah 12 February 2016 at 8:24 AM

GAH y’all in that old photo is TOO GOOD. We’re definitely in the don’t give af but like pancakes club…and if you could send a smoke signal/nudge nudge to my main man that yes we do have room for another plant in our home, that would be suuuuuuuper great <3

• Reply Madeline 12 February 2016 at 9:21 AM

I fall into the category of people who love Valentine’s Day! I don’t make a big deal about it but I love the idea of just showing people you love in your life that you care! And pancakes are definitely on my weekend-to-make list : D

• Reply Edlyn 12 February 2016 at 9:39 AM

I fondly remember being served breakfast in bed one random morning and literally yelling “what the fuck?” I was in deeeeep sleep and I kind of cannot eat food in bed. Just not a very Indian thing to do (unless you’re sick) and my parents let us know it was a huge no-no as kids. Valentine’s Day is a pretty huge deal in India too except the right-wing nuts harass couples because apparently it’s against our culture to show PDA. I don’t care but I don’t mind people who do. It’s all okay with me. Love these pancakes. I’ll make some when I’m back in the cold country.

• Reply Ashlae 14 February 2016 at 9:11 PM

YO LADY

I, admittedly, couldn’t bring myself to eat breakfast in bed this morning (totally weirds me out). Thom, however, had no problem. ;)

• Reply Katrina 12 February 2016 at 11:23 AM

Hey girl, these pancakes? In bed? Totally a celebration in itself, Valentine’s Day or not! I am obsessed with that coconut chai pancake flavour – definitely trying these!!

• Reply Mary-Clay | The Open Oven 12 February 2016 at 1:04 PM

yes, my ideal valentines’s day is totally pancakes in bed. – especially those delicious-looking pancakes. I’ll take an at-home breakfast for two any day, honestly, over braving crowded restaurants in this chilly weather.

• Reply Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough 12 February 2016 at 1:38 PM

Those pancakes = SO FLUFFY. I want to cozy up into that stack for dayz.

Also, love the print above the bed! So creative!

xo

• Reply Gemma 12 February 2016 at 4:36 PM

What a beautiful post! Pancakes will always be my favorite food, I’m always ready to stuff my face with fluffy vegan pancakes and these ones look absolutely delicious. Love your raspberry compote too, seems super easy to make! Yay! :-)

As always, I could stare at your pictures for hours…so bright and perfectly composed!

xoxo

• Reply Amy | Lemon and Coconut 13 February 2016 at 6:39 AM

Yeh I’m deffo in that last camp too, any excuse for a special day and making something nice to eat. Like everyday then… :)

• Reply Chrissy 13 February 2016 at 1:22 PM

LOVE the love note. All the feels. Happy pancake day!

• Reply Sarah | Well and Full 13 February 2016 at 2:27 PM

Ugh that picture of Thom with the pancakes in bed #relationshipgoals <3

• Reply Abby 14 February 2016 at 7:26 AM

I didn’t have coconut flour so I used your replacement suggestion and they turned out perfect. The raspberry compote paired with the creamy coconut topping made for the perfect Valentine’s breakfast. THANK YOU! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and Thom.

• Reply Abby 14 February 2016 at 7:29 AM

I almost forgot: That picture over your bed! I love it. West Elm has some beautiful bed frames. If you can, try to snag a floor model. They’re almost always in great condition (we have two) and are way more affordable.

• Reply Jen 14 February 2016 at 8:44 AM

I’m anti-Valentine’s Day but I’m not anti-pancakes. ;) Cannot wait to try these! Coconut and chai are a match made in heaven. Do you know if I can get Dona chai at the grocery?

• Reply Ashlae 14 February 2016 at 9:15 PM

Hi Jen –

Unfortunately you can’t. :( I’m pretty sure you won’t have any issues if you use a chai concentrate from your local grocer.

• Reply kathryn @ The Scratch Artist 14 February 2016 at 12:44 PM

But why is he on his phone and not eating the pancakes, like, immediately! I could not sit in bed with that stack and do anything but EAT…ok AND spill sticky stuff on the sheets. But maybe I need more relaxed, easy going, let the pancakes get cold moments in my life?? Dunno, but until enlightenment strikes, pancakes call for action, immediate action :-) The flavors sound Insane <3

• Reply Ashlae 14 February 2016 at 9:17 PM

BECAUSE I WAS TAKING PICTURES, DUH. ;) And he was mean muggin’ the entire time because all he wanted to do was eat. XO LADY <3

• Reply Kate 14 February 2016 at 10:50 PM

We have a fantastic thing emerging in our neck of the woods where V Day has turned from celebrating Valentines towards celebrating Vaginas, raising funds and lots of laughs in a campaign against domestic violence. We gather in masses on the beach early AM, dressed in red, unleashing daggy dance moves to 80s tunes. Love it. This might be a global movement?? Pancakes for afternoon tea is easy recompense, they look great x

• Reply genevieve @ gratitude & greens 15 February 2016 at 10:57 AM

Oh my gosh that photo of you and Thom back then is UNREAL, I love it. I don’t celebrate VDay but yes, I am always down for sleeping in and breakfast in bed. Hope you and Thom had a swell day! xo

• Reply Monday Coffee + Links. - The Old Fashioned Girl 15 February 2016 at 11:05 AM

[…] Coconut + chai spiced pancakes with raspberry compote. Literally my perfect breakfast right here. […]

• Reply Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry 16 February 2016 at 9:06 AM

It looks like we both had pancakes on the brain! These chai and coconut ones are bomb. Hope you had a lovely Valentines Day.

• Reply Gwen 17 February 2016 at 12:16 AM

Thom is lucky! Breakfast in bed, ohh so sweet with such scrumptious meal!

• Reply jodi 17 February 2016 at 6:02 AM

We would definetly l fall in that last category with you guys, and I am so wishing I had a seriously awesome flashback photo to go with it too. Awesome as always you guys. I made pancakes last week for the first time in what felt like forever, he was not lucky enough to eat them in bed but I did manage to keep my mouth shut when he drowned them in half a can of maple syrup. So, I guess that’s love too :) Love this one, Ashlae x

• Reply Ashley 17 February 2016 at 8:24 AM

These pancakes are just the dreamiest and I looove how you do V-Day. We spent ours in pretty much the same way, minus the pancakes in bed. Next year they’re happening, though!

I second West Elm. They have some great mid century pieces right now.

• Reply Summer 17 February 2016 at 8:39 AM

These pancakes are making me drool! Yummy ♥

• Reply Lily | Kale & Caramel 19 February 2016 at 10:59 AM

I need this in my life. Right now. Do you think if I go back to bed now and call all my friends someone will eventually come over and make me perfect pancakes in bed?! I want every last little bit of it. And that framed love note? ALL OF THE SWOONS.

• Reply Faith VanderMolen 22 February 2016 at 4:27 AM

This looks amazing, and sound just like my ideal way to spend V-Day! Also, what do you use to create your collages?! Love your photography as always!

• Reply Jane 25 February 2016 at 8:21 AM

I made these pancakes last night – I didn’t have any raspberries, but used mangoes instead for a lassi-inspired chai taste :) Anyway, they were delicious and a huge hit. The only thing is that they stuck completely to the pan – any ideas on what went wrong? I used lots of coating for my pan but ended up scraping all but one after cooking (I strategically placed the round one on top of the stack and it looked pretty great :))

• Reply Jane 5 March 2016 at 8:06 AM

Update: realized that the sticking was due to a crappy old pan, and not the recipe. Tried them again last night and they turned out perfectly. So ignore the above comment – they are amazing!

• Reply 10 Recipes To Try This Week | ¡HOLA! JALAPEÑO 27 February 2016 at 4:26 PM

[…] Coconut + Chai Spiced Pancakes with Raspberry Compote from Oh, Ladycakes […]

• Reply Stella Rose 9 March 2016 at 11:45 AM

Lovely recipe with good images. I use strawberry instead of RASPBERRY.
    Sometimes the cake stuck with the pan. So what can I do in this case?

• Reply kathy patalsky 17 March 2016 at 10:29 AM

These look so fluffy and perfect! Happy morning for sure!

• Reply Kellie 1 April 2016 at 3:54 PM

What can i use if i cannot get chai concentrate. Don’t know if it exists here in Australia. Can i use a substitute chai tea teabag infused?? Thx

• Reply Ashlae 1 April 2016 at 4:13 PM

Hi Kelli –

Unfortunately I don’t think it’d work, as the concentrate is more than just tea + water. You should be able to find the chai concentrate, though – it’s not uncommon. :)